1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Am I the Only One Who Really Hates Lazy Directory Owners?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by msafi2, Aug 2, 2012.

:mad: I don't know if it's just me here, but I am really hating these spammers who can't even manage the content of their own site and expects their directory to run itself. I mean why would these guys even get into this type of business in the first place? My thought is that if you are going to choose to do something then you should choose to do it well. After all, what is the point in the first place? These lazy guys just end up wasting their own time and effort and continue to build upon the bad reputation that directories already have. I would just like to know what others think on this subject and if there is anything they want to put out there for everyone to read and learn from. Maybe something that you share can help me understand and learn. Not to mention help another member here who is pretty new to dealing with directories--whether they are submitting links or trying to create/manage their own directory site.

msafi2, Aug 2, 2012 IP
    silencer likes this.
  2. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What I don't like is black hat operation that sell 100s or 1000s of links that don't help the buyer, and then they find themselves penalized. Directory owners should not be participating in link schemes. Take submissions, but don't play around with adding a link to 100s of directories on behalf of a client. Do that enough and there is a pattern, and google nails you.

Sadly, such operations don't even work long term, so the client loses, and the directory owner loses too. Instead, building a quality resource is virtually guaranteed to run a profit for years. It might not be massive always, but if you do it right you have guaranteed cash flow over the years.

dvduval, Aug 2, 2012 IP
  3. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No you aren't the only one. I've been unhappy with lazy directory owner for a good decade now.

What is their reason for getting into the business? Who knows. Perhaps they think it there is easy money to be made via adsense or PR-selling. What better motivation than easy money right??? --- When they learn it is anything but easy they quickly abandon their junk to pollute the web.

Actual directory owners are furious. But they have no power to compel others not to foul the industry up.

silencer, Aug 2, 2012 IP
  4. vallen Mcgill

vallen Mcgill Active Member

Best Answers:
    These days many people are getting into this business of directories but they dont know how to build a quality directory. I have seen many usefull directories also which helps you every ways,in finding good infi as well as good serp result if you submit your sites.

vallen Mcgill, Aug 2, 2012 IP
  5. msafi2

msafi2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't agree with that more. If you are going to do something blackhat then you are just going to end up hurting yourself. Google is not stupid enough to put up with your crap for very long. Anytime you try to manipulate their system they are going to find out eventually. Even if you do somehow manage to get away with it for a little while, they are going to hammer you on the next update when they roll out a whole new animal. The best thing you can do is put in a sincere effort to provide quality.

msafi2, Aug 3, 2012 IP
  6. msafi2

msafi2 Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right, sir. These bums jump into the boat and think it is going to paddle itself to success. But, instead they just end up sinking and taking a lot of passengers along with them too. They do a disservice to the people who submit to their directory (even if it is free) and they discredit those who put real work into creating a high quality directory site. I think that if people really got the word out that this is not a good way to make a quick buck that these people will stop flooding the web with garbage.

msafi2, Aug 3, 2012 IP
  7. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can go to a place like odesk.com and hire a data entry person to work for $2/hour submitting to directories all day. What happened was a number of people built businesses around this model, offering things like 1000 links for $10. Not all directory owners did this, but sometimes it seemed that way because such a large volume of directories were in play that were of low quality. There are others who just kept editing over the years, and didn't fall prey to this.

dvduval, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  8. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You know that directories are 110% useless, right?

Codythebest, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  9. RAND0M1ZER

RAND0M1ZER Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's what I always thought, I didn't think anyone had been using directories in the past 10 years... I guess I was wrong :|

RAND0M1ZER, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  10. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then why are you promoting a business that does directory submission?

Sheesh, there must be something in the air around here today.

YMC, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  11. RAND0M1ZER

RAND0M1ZER Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you talking about his sig?

lol, that is pretty ironic.

RAND0M1ZER, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  12. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because it's that sort of idiot sentiment that is involved in "directories". The directories they submit to would all be junk, and their clients would be paying them peanuts to basically ruin their own link profiles. They probably own all the directories they submit to, and include everything that gets given to them "as is".

Ridiculous.

But the tide will change. These sorts of unscrupulous vendors are what the web wants to be rid of. The real resources will ride out the storm as they always have, and continue to sail on to new horizons :)

silencer, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  13. msafi2

msafi2 Peon

Best Answers:
    When it comes to the web, so many people have the opportunity to go into business these days because cheap labor is more readily available than ever and everyone who does just a little searching will find it in abundance. Most of these people don't really know what they are doing and they want to make fast money. These are the type of people who are having the most negative impact because they don't even realize what needs to be done to make their site successful. Instead of working to provide quality they think that they are the only ones who know about the fast and cheap way to do things and end up throwing up the same trash that 1,000,000 others did before them.

msafi2, Aug 7, 2012 IP
  14. msafi2

msafi2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe it would be more accurate to say that 90% of directories are useless? But it definitely would not be true to say that all directories are useless. This is a narrow minded thought and if you research this area of the forum then you should find just how wrong you are. There is a such thing as a good directory and if you find one then you would benefit to use it.

msafi2, Aug 7, 2012 IP