1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Clientel Login

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by brandon93s, Jul 6, 2012.

I'm in search of some sort of simple login solution to manage clients, but it needs to be built into my website. Each client has numerous "projects" and file, and I just need a very quick and easy way for them to access their information that is also easy for me to update and manage. I'm not seeking a full-fledged client management back end. I don't need the bells and whistles. Simplicity is key. Any ideas?

brandon93s, Jul 6, 2012 IP
  2. brandon93s

brandon93s Active Member

Best Answers:
    No one is aware of any such solutions?

brandon93s, Jul 7, 2012 IP
  3. WeTry

WeTry Peon

Best Answers:
    Had the same problem.
    If you're using WordPress it may be solved as follows:

1. Put each clients documents in PDF format into a separate folder. Make first page in folder an index page with links to each
    document so client may access the document required. Get URL of Index page.

2. In WordPress, assign each client a user name and password. (advise client of such after testing).

3. Install standard WordPress log in widget in in suitable widget location. (Note that log in form will not show if client is logged in or if you are logged in as administrator).

4. Download, install and activate Peter's Log in Redirect 2.5.1. After installation access settings via: Dashboard >> Settings >> Log In Redirect. On LIRD Settings page select user name from drop down, and assign URL for that client. SAVE.

5. Test.

Above is detailed in section 9.0.0 of link in my signature...

Hope this works for you.

WeTry, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  4. brandon93s

brandon93s Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's pretty damn smart. Thank you so much.

brandon93s, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  5. brandon93s

brandon93s Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now how would you go about only allowing access to these pages when they are logged in, so they are private!

6. WeTry

WeTry Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm probably not understanding your question, but the way I see it.

The only way anyone can get to his own private index page is to log in. After log in with username and password you have given only to him, he will be redirected to the index page in his file. (Should have mentioned that index page will probably have to be written in HTML (not WordPress) using Komposer or other editor you like). This page will open be in a new window and only your assigned person has access unless he shares his name and password with others.

Also should have mentioned that each of my client's folders was in a master folder in the root directory to make management easier. This master folder should be protected by your robots text file .. So then the path for each client will be:
    User Name >> Password >> Redirect >> www.yoursite.com/masterfolder/clientfolderindex.htm.

People have told me that this is not a truly secure link as it will not transfer the user to an https://location. Before adding the robots.txt file had some private data appear in Google search! However after a couple of months asking all the guru's all I got was doubletalk and code speak, so left things alone and (knock wood), so far, so good.

OK Now??

WeTry, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  7. brandon93s

brandon93s Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reason it is insecure, is that anyone who obtains this link would be able to access the clients page WITHOUT loging in. Go to the URL that your client is directed too. You can access it directly without logging in.. so it isn't really secure. Just an easy way for them to access it. Does that make sense? I was trying to prevent people from being able to access the pages UNLESS they log in. It is a very good system, just has some minor loop holes.

8. brandon93s

brandon93s Active Member

Best Answers:
    After some reading, the best way to do this is going to be to check the referrer using some PHP. This method is kinda glitchy however, as not all browsers send along a referring website. However, it should be good enough for this use. Allow all traffic being referrered from your website, otherwise redirect. That way they have to get to their portal via your website, otherwise they'll be just redirected somewhere. (Error page, home page, log-in page, etc).

9. brandon93s

brandon93s Active Member

Best Answers:
  10. WeTry

WeTry Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, that's the reason the guru's were against it. I stuck my head in the sand and justified my position with "what are the odds?" Beside, I'm alergic to PHP.

WeTry, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  11. WeTry

WeTry Peon

Best Answers:
    WeTry, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  12. sandy6m

sandy6m Peon

Best Answers:
    Shanomen, that is what I thought

sandy6m, Sep 1, 2012 IP