1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Twitter Traffic to boost Google Ranking - Black Hat ?

Discussion in 'Google' started by upalc, Jul 16, 2012.

I've been working on my Twitter presence lately, trying to get a little buzz going about my Soccer site. A friend of mine mentioned a project he created called ReTweet in (re.2et.in). The basis of this site is to submit Tweets with attached links to the board. One assigns a certain number of credits to the Tweet, and those credits are used when other users click on them (reTweeting them). By clicking on someone else's Tweet, one gains a credit value depending on his/her active followers. This way a link goes viral on twitter resulting in a huge traffic on it. I myself have received 1000+ visitors on my site from twitter in a single day.

Now my query is that, will Google treat it as a black hat technique & my site rank will be penalized ? Or my site rank will do better in long term if I continue to use this application in future ?

...Please Advise

upalc, Jul 16, 2012 IP
  2. koichi1988

koichi1988 Peon

Best Answers:
    bro using facebook is better than twitter as it has more larger exposure.

koichi1988, Jul 16, 2012 IP
  3. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It might be possible twitter account get ban, if you use the black hat. Better than use the white hat.

humtuma, Jul 16, 2012 IP
  4. upalc

upalc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you guys did not get my question. What i wanna know is whether this technique of traffic generation from twitter will be treated as Black Hat or White Hat by Google ?

upalc, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  5. ggseo

ggseo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    the link at twitter has nofollow attribute, even this method is white hat by google, it will not bring you high ranking.

ggseo, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  6. isha189

isha189 Member

Best Answers:
    No, using social media sites to generate traffic is not Black hat technique......even after Penguin update everyone is trying more to use social media sites like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn. The method of retweet is not a black hat seo trick.

isha189, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  7. benhuebner

benhuebner Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don´t think that google willnotice this, make sure to provide useful content and you will also attract "natural" retweets!

I highly recommend using both! Google is more and more using social signals in order to determine their rankings!

Here is a nice article about this topic :

http://webtrafficsoftware.info/06/strategies/social-seo/media-ranking-factors/

Hope this answers your question!

benhuebner, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  8. digitalrock

digitalrock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    every media is good when you are getting traffic.................

digitalrock, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  9. quiz

quiz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It won't get you banned or removed out of the search results of Google, thats for sure. I don't think that if you will use it to often you will get away with it and you might get banned by Twitter.

quiz, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  10. upalc

upalc Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is not a process to generate backlinks. This is to generate avalanche of traffic from various IPs which Google Bot prefers as a +ve PR indicator. re.2et.in viral traffic is similar to getting a news coverage.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    upalc, Jul 20, 2012 IP
  11. upalc

upalc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Twitter handle of the person, whose tweet is being posted, does not show up in Twitter timeline. Twitter does not come to know at all about whose post it actually is, unless message owner explicitly mentions his/her Twitter handle. Hence no chance of being banned by Twitter......

upalc, Jul 23, 2012 IP
  12. Kianu42

Kianu42 Member

Best Answers:
    Google won't care. But why all this fuss if the traffic you get is not well targeted anyway? Or did I miss anything?

Kianu42, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  13. purpleorange

purpleorange Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice, he has the site in his signature, so it is another BH Promotion, sad no one notices it and still replies to this silly Question

purpleorange, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  14. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's fine for generating traffic but it will not boost your google ranking

lifeplayer, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  15. andrekhrisna

andrekhrisna Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, it's not a Black Hat and won't be penalized by Google.

I suggest you to create a structure to tweet valuable tweets to your followers according to your specific niche.
    Try to add values to them, not just spamming with links and your daily activities.

Success for you.

andrekhrisna, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  16. hushpuppies11

hushpuppies11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why dont you Use Twitter+Facebook+other social networking sites

in this way your traffic will be from different source and you will not have any prob with google

hushpuppies11, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  17. MatthewWoodward.co.uk

MatthewWoodward.co.uk Banned

Best Answers:
    There have been numerous case studys that show the more a page is tweeted/talked about the higher it will be in the rankings.

If you have an old site that hasn't had any link built for a while, try and find a 500x retweet service and watch what happens to your ranks within a matter of days.

MatthewWoodward.co.uk, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  18. upalc

upalc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google bot always monitor traffic on a website and avalanche of traffic means better pagerank of a page. That's old truth and Google uses it when they were backrub. What's new is that, traffic from social media like twitter or facebook are given more importance and when u use re.2et.in, you get pure twitter traffic. That's the + point. I'm just bothered whether Google will count sudden spikes as black hat :confused:

upalc, Jul 30, 2012 IP
    vola likes this.
  19. Kianu42

Kianu42 Member

Best Answers:
    I regret to break it to you, but this is not true.

1. Google bot always monitor traffic on a website - Google bot indexes pages. Cutts did explicitly say they don't use traffic stats or any other analytics data to rank websites.

2. Avalanche of traffic means better pagerank of a page - PageRank is calculated according to a very well known formula, it's all about backlinks, and has nothing to do with traffic.

PR formula.JPG

3. Traffic from social media like twitter or facebook are given more importance - it has no importance whatsoever as far as one's rankings are concerned. the only parameter that may matter for your rankings is the number of social shares, perhaps comments, but not traffic.

4. I'm just bothered whether Google will count sudden spikes as black hat - repeat, Google won't care.

Sorry, brother, I don't mean to discourage you from promoting your biz on here, it's just that you're promoting it form the wrong viewpoint.

Twitter traffic is great! But, please, don't tell the folks here that Twitter traffic will improve their rankings, because this is not true.

Kianu42, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  20. upalc

upalc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can you please show me an instance where Matt Cutts said Google does not rely on website traffic for its ranking ? Do you think the decade old website ping theory to rank upward is just a fuss ? ;)

upalc, Aug 3, 2012 IP