1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whos behind Banners on major sites

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by martymcfly, Nov 21, 2006.

When you go to any popular site, and they have a banner for dating, chat, or 'congratulations youve won a prize'. Where did they get it from ? Did they chose it from a site like 'Value click media' because it fit the theme of their site and demographic of users. Also much do they get paid for just hosting the banner, or only click thrus and when users join ?
    I guess it would vary a lot, for example take this page:
    hxxp://www.demonoid.com/files/?category=6&seeded=0&external=2&query=coast&uid=0

I hope you can load the page. They have the "congrats" banner at the top,
    searching.com text links on the side, and the avatar imvu banner on the right. What kind of payout would this generate in your estimation?

martymcfly, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  2. thedark

thedark Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i think they have designers...

thedark, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    quite a few "big" sites (think ask, myspace, etc) have in-house programs and don't use things like valueclick/tribalfusion/et all.

if they are using a program you can usually tell by viewing their source code...

disgust, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  4. martymcfly

martymcfly Peon

Best Answers:
    The other question is, what did those "big" sites do, upon launch, and as they where slowly gaining popularity. Did they use in-house straight away, or graduate to it, when they started getting huge numbers of visitors.

If using inhouse, whats the best way to get it automated, ie when a banner reaches its limit of CPM or budget, it is no longer shown, is there some established place you can buy the ready made code, or do u need to pay for a programmer to make it from scratch.

Disgust, i hope the forum is paying you for all your helpful posts. heh

5. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    haha no I don't get paid :)

most sites only move to in-house publishing once they're fairly well established. you'll know when in-house advertising may be a good idea for you; advertisers will start contacting you and asking about advertising on your site quite often.

disgust, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  6. mac

mac Peon

Best Answers:
    Digg for example started out using just AdSense and then included Federated Media (www.federatedmedia.net) to control their advertisements. You can have an in-house ad server and there are several open source ones running via PHP. phpAdsNews (http://phpadsnew.com/) comes to mind.

mac, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  7. avantrosa

avantrosa Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually MySpace does use those networks... They have so much inventory there is no way their in-house sales can accomodate for that. The advertisers buying in directly will generally be higher up in the ad chain. All the remnant is then farmed out to ad networks.

- Jason

avantrosa, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  8. donthate

donthate Banned

Best Answers:
    Either they hired designers or are very talented.

donthate, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  9. martymcfly

martymcfly Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, this forum rules, and also looks among the nicest aswell.
    thanks for the info guys, ive got a long way to go.

10. winningratings

winningratings Peon

Best Answers:
    They are from various banner exchanges and affiliate schemes - some of which will pay you a commission for clicks that turn into sales
    Its kind of an alternative to adsense or similar PPC providers - but you might only get paid if someone makes a purchase or becomes a lead

However be careful before adding such banners all over the place. There is evidence that sites with banners have poor conversion rates to sales. In other words it could harm your product - but of course if your site is just a free site then maybe it doesnt matter

I dont have any banners of most of my sites, because I concentrate on selling my own products - so it does depend on the type of site you have and what your priorities are

winningratings, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  11. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of the banners you see like that are CPM which pays per 1,000 impressions. Per click or lead doesnt matter in that case.

jabb, Nov 22, 2006 IP