1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating Website...Need feedback

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by ztak07, Jul 9, 2012.

arenacarryservice . com is my site

The website is going to compete with Arenaedge. c o m, arenarating. co m, mmorig. co m. What more can I add to my site to make it stand out from the others? Do you guys like the theme? Any suggestions?

ztak07, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  2. lordxor

lordxor Member

Best Answers:
    I have remark to design.... IMO there is a lot of small bolded text... For me it's very disturbing and bad readable.... you sould use bolded text only to emphasize important parts of text.

lordxor, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Just to warn you, I can be a bit harsh -- I'm not going to sugar coat it, slap the rose coloured glasses on your head and lead you down the garden path to failure. Consider this tough love; it's better to be told of the problems instead of patting you on the back and telling you everything is alright, or worse throwing pointless silver bullet fixes at something that is fundamentally flawed like Uncle Red with a roll of Duct tape.

wow, that is bloated, slow, and if I wasn't reviewing the page I'd probably not even wait for that massive space wasting and bandwidth wasting train wreck of a image rotator to load. That's the FIRST THING I'd swing a massive axe at. It just gets in the way of people actually getting at the content that tells them what the site is even FOR.

The absurdly undersized fixed metric (px) fonts, serif fonts on a screen layout, fixed width that's too big for my netbook, completely useless on desktop since it's either too small or breaks when zoomed, and layout that's completely busted in Opera.

The underlying code is pure trash. The very first line declares that loud and proud - "Transitional" - which is to say that you are in transition from 1997 to 1998 coding practices. It gets worse from there with the idiotic "pngfix" rubbish scripting on a page that doesn't even need alpha transparency, train wreck of pointless "frameworks" that amount to little more than throwing a hundred K or more at a page for nothing, pointless IE conditionals meaning the page is probably built using broken methodologies (there is NO reason to use IE conditionals for CSS!!! Especially one this simple!), nonsensical heading tag orders ("Latest Posts" is a subsection of "Welcome To"???), static style inlined in the markup, clearing DIV like it's still 2001, comment placements that could actually trip rendering errors in FF and IE (yes, I said COMMENTS), endless pointless wrapping DIV for nothing, inaccessible forms -- and that's before we even talk the idiotic pointless classes that turdpress has saddled you with on your menu.

Surprised it's only 22k of markup and only 11 validation errors, given how dated the coding methodologies used to build the site is (though admittedly, if the HTML 5 dillwads have their way, we're right back at the bleeding edge of 1998 coding practices).

Still, there's only 6 content images, one object, and 2.28k of plaintext so its very unlikely there should be more than 10k of markup used to build that -- so basically it has TWICE the code that's actually necessary.

To go to my classic catch phrase: Throw it out and start over, there's nothing worth even trying to save from that.

To be honest, a LOT of the layout concepts present are what I call 'non web deployable' -- to the point I would almost wonder if one of those pesky "But I can do it in photoshop" folks was involved somewhere.

deathshadow, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  4. ztak07

ztak07 Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think my niche cares about the code, I don't have WP cache which decreases load time. And I was looking for more of a review on aesthetics.

ztak07, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You may want to post it under Reviews then:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Instead of the coding forum... though I'd tell you the same thing there -- it's painfully slow loading, it's got major accessibility issues, and the fixed metric fonts are all but illegible... all of which stems from broken or dated site building methodology and layout concepts that have no real place on todays internet -- and much of that having as much of an aesthetic impact as a bandwidth/code one.

... and don't let WP-cache trick you; when something is slow loading because of bloated code throwing more code at it is not the answer; and when it's more the fault of a massive flash element, wp-cache isn't gonna do jack. When that bloat is also non-semantic and filled with pointless hard to maintain code...

deathshadow, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  6. ztak07

ztak07 Member

Best Answers:
    Building this Wow, MMo goods themed site and I would love your feedback. Website is int the title thanks.

ztak07, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  7. ztak07

ztak07 Member

Best Answers:
    sorry last post was meant to be a thread.

ztak07, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  8. ppcwebdesign

ppcwebdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    your navigation is messed up.

it should be like, Home about us, services, contact us forum.
    dont have it all under want link

ppcwebdesign, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  9. mneodor87

mneodor87 Member

Best Answers:
    My 2 cents is to reduce the options/stuff on the homepage. Tim Ferris has a great article on this at fourhourworkweek.com where they did split A/B tests on a bunch of site designs, and giving visitors less to look at greatly increased conversions.

I'd remove the 4 columns from Customer Service to Customer Satisfaction for starters, and replace the "Explore the Endless Possibilities" section with a form to order directly. I'm not even sure where I'd go to order from your site- make it clear and easy to access.

mneodor87, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  10. extraspecial

extraspecial Member

Best Answers:
    It's better to post this thread under Reviews.

extraspecial, Jul 10, 2012 IP