1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

is this site redering ok?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by tyankee, Jul 7, 2012.

I am just finishing up a design for a client at http://www.crossstitchingart.com/shop/ and it looks good HERE ON OUR COMPUTERS IN IE9, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera but the customer is using IE9 and says the logo in the top left is not showing up and some items are blurred and the page shows it loaded with errors..

i'd appreciate any feedback from you with the browser you are using and if you see those problems.

thanks.

tyankee, Jul 7, 2012 IP
  2. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am getting the same thing with IE8. No logo and an error.
    My guess is that it has to due with the line with behavior:url. The file it references does not exist.

scoopy82, Jul 7, 2012 IP
  3. tyankee

tyankee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i just fixed that and put the file in - could you please recheck?

tyankee, Jul 7, 2012 IP
  4. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Still got that error... and I figured it out. It is not a problem with the code at all... but a problem with the image itself. The image was saved in CMYK mode instead of RGB.

scoopy82, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  5. tyankee

Best Answers:

thank you sooo much.. could you try it again as i just resaved it - hopefully in the right format.

tyankee, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  6. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Logo is still CMYK. You need to change the mode before you saving it. In Photoshop you will find it under Image ---> Mode and select RGB.

scoopy82, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  7. tyankee

Best Answers:

thanks found it and changed it.. please recheck..

tyankee, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  8. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Logo is working now... but still getting an error message with IE. I think its the syntax of the IE conditional statement you have. I saved a local copy and edited that line a bit to stop the error message.

scoopy82, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  9. tyankee

Best Answers:
    i just changed those lines.. did that help?

tyankee, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  10. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The endif tag still looks the same here and I still get the same error.

scoopy82, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  11. tyankee

Best Answers:

yikes, i goofed and must not have saved the file.. just updated again.. sorry..

tyankee, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  12. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That must not be it... and I am out of ideas now. I would change the conditional tags back to <!--[if IE]> <![endif]--> and then work my way thru clearing up the errors found by entering the URL at validator.w3.org

scoopy82, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  13. tyankee

Best Answers:
    went through and got rid of 100+ errors. could you please check one more time..

tyankee, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  14. LogoJ

LogoJ Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks good to me.

LogoJ, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  15. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Validation looks great... but the error remains.
    I was able to get rid of the error by removing the script at that line... plus the 2 scripts right after that. I tried one by one, but kept getting the error. Had to remove all 3 of those scripts (lines 29-80). I am thinking it could be something like an extra semi-colon... or could be referenced wrong from the other included libraries you have. I don't know enough about that stuff.

scoopy82, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  16. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Absolute train wreck here in Opera 12... really though this is a new site? REALLY? If so why is it in transitional, which is to say the code is in transition from 1997 to 1998... why does it have tags in it that have ZERO business being used on sites built after ~2003ish (when NS4 was kicked to the curb) like CENTER, why do the heading orders make no sense at all, the comment placements (yes, I said comments) that could be tripping IE and FF rendering bugs, title attributes on elements that shouldn't have them, endless pointless DIV for no reason, lack of media targets for your CSS, endless pointless classes for no reason (here's a tip, if every element inside a parent is getting the same class, NONE of them need classes!)...

Of course the dozen plus separate stylesheets (gotta love that 20 second download time just in handshaking delay) means I wouldn't even want to think about maintaining that.

You've got 28k of markup for 1.5k of plaintext and a dozen content images -- that's quite easily three times the HTML that should be necessary for such a simple page -- bundled with outdated, outmoded or just plain bad site-building methodologies, it's not exactly a surprise it falls apart across different browsers, OS or platforms.

My advice would be to throw that out and start over with SEMANTIC markup, separation of presentation from content, and reducing the number of separate files to the bare minimum -- realizing that just as George Carlin said "not every ejaculation deserves a name", not every element needs a DIV around it or multiple classes on them.

... and that's before talking about the accessibility issues like the undersized fixed metric (px) fonts, fixed width layout, serif fonts on screen media, etc, etc...

deathshadow, Jul 15, 2012 IP
  17. Fyves Media

Fyves Media Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    loads fine for me, using chrome.

Fyves Media, Jul 15, 2012 IP