1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How I Combat (and Beat) Adsense Smartpricing

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by jackburton2006, Nov 20, 2006.

Okay, so we all know what smartpricing is, but there are a lot of speculation about how to undo/defeat it. After about two months, I think I know how, and I've done it to my own sites.

First, a background. Of all my sites, Site A was making the most, generating the most clicks, getting the most traffic, etc. Basically, Site A is my main site. Adsense did extremely well (4 figure clicks a day), but eventually I was smartpriced, and the CPC went as low as $.05-cents on average. And as we all know, smartpricing affects the whole account.

So I removed Adsense from Site A, and swapped it with YPN. All the usual problems -- poorly targeted ads, duplicate ads, etc. But the high CPC helped to combat the low CTR, so in general, I was making about the same or slightly more with YPN on Site A than with Adsense. Usually more.

As a result of removing Adsense from Site A, the rest of my sites running Adsense showed improved CPC. I have been getting a stable $.10-cents CPC on average for the last month and change, which is double what I was getting before with Adsense on Site A.

Now, was it worth it? I say Yes, because YPN's average on Site A remains strong, and the improved performances of all my other sites running Adsense have combined for improved earnings on par with with my pre-smartprice days.

What happened when I removed Adsense from Site A? I believe I removed smartpricing from my account (after about a month's time) and this had an impact on the rest of my sites.

jackburton2006, Nov 20, 2006 IP
    iskandar and disgust like this.
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    interesting, but it's not really a way to "beat" smartpricing on the "low quality" site. though I guess that's asking for too much.

in my experience it hasn't really affected my whole account, though? when "site a" has huge traffic and low quality the EPC is horrible, but "site b" consistantly has a much higher EPC, and never seemed to drop from smartpricing

disgust, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  3. totoros

totoros Peon

Best Answers:
    cool good to know. now i just need to get into yahoo's program

totoros, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  4. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, YPN isn't available for everybody :(

Jarodboy, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  5. Mido

Mido Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    removing Adsense and replace it with YPN maybe a solution for only people having both not for all specially when the site A has the biggest income source and removing adsense will kill the whole revnue.

Mido, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  6. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    YPN didn't work for me. I see four figure earnings every month with Adsense. When I removed Adsense and applied YPN to my pages my earnings plummeted. I don't know why. Maybe not enough ads to serve my niche (entertainment).

NewToAllThis, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  7. Motter

Motter Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah.......... what if site A is the only site and yahoo didn't accept you for site A?

I do have a site B but it's a shopping cart.

Motter, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  8. ainmohd

ainmohd Peon

Best Answers:
    Since I have removed Adsense ads from many webpages of my portal website featuring A to Z subject matters my Adsense earnings are improving.

ainmohd, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  9. fendi

fendi Peon

Best Answers:
    you can also alternate adsense w yahoo ads. put adsense when you feel your cpc is at the highest rate. and change them with ypn when smartpricing hit you and so on..

fendi, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  10. edwinsoft

edwinsoft Peon

Best Answers:
    thats the reason why I prefer having multiple small sites with little traffic but high CTR :)

edwinsoft, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  11. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jack,

How did you know site A was the one to remove the ads from?

If smartpricing affects the whole account, surely the low CPC on site A could have been from poorly converting ads on site B, C or D?

I don't have YPN as an option, so would prefer to get it right!

Cheers

Rasputin, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  12. aeronautic.net

aeronautic.net Active Member

Best Answers:
    This illustrates that since smartpricing effects the whole account, and not just a low converting site or channel, it is not, in fact, smart at all.

I would also guess that since so few small AdWords advertisers really use accurate tracking data, the amount of accurate data on ad-to-sale conversions that forms the basis for smart pricing is way too low to be valid as well.

aeronautic.net, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  13. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know Site A was the culprit because Site A is my highest money earner -- so the percentages of clicks that didn't convert would be most noticable coming from this site. With Site A removed from the account, the numbers would go down immeasurably.

jackburton2006, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  14. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    So of all my channels, which ones should I be removing? Ones with CTR less than 0.1% or ones with a low eCPM? I don't mind taking out the channels than don't earn me much, but I'm not comfortable losing my biggest earners.

Cryo.

Cryogenius, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  15. fmgomes

fmgomes Peon

Best Answers:
    From my experience, I would say that if you had left AdSense ads on site A smartpricing would be gone the same way after a month or so, meaning that the solution was not removing the ads but, most likely, simply waiting.

fmgomes, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  16. livingingermany

livingingermany Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, great stuff that Jack has put his research findings into the public domain, to which I am of course eternally grateful. I have also one site that performs quite well (for my liking anyway) and several sites that convert like the Pope. Sadly I do not live across the pond and hence I cannot introduce YPN ads onto my poorly converting sites to verify Jack's findings for myself. So I ask can anyone recommend another ad publishing network that may provide ads contextually for my pages? Does AdBrite convert well for others?

One example of a poorly converting site is a site I have that hosts quiz questions, for pub quizzes for example. Due to the fact that the questions are so varied the keywords that generate the ads are so bizzare that i find myself repeating the word quiz and quizzes etc all over my pages in order to focus the contextual robots. If I replace AdSense by another ad publishing network, then what are my chances of having the same problems? Perhaps I should look away from the contextual completely and focus on affiliate schemes.

livingingermany, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  17. cahaya

cahaya Member

Best Answers:
    same case with me jack
    but i just change the ads with my brother (family) account
    same, still use adsense

and smartpricing gone from my account
    maybe my brother got it now
    but, better than nothing......

cahaya, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  18. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like your problem would be solved if you made each question a page to itself. What you describe doesn't sound like smart pricing, but like poor targeting. So you could also pick the post where you think the best keywords are, and use the targeting codes to emphasize that part of the page to google, and de-emphasize the rest of the page.

kh7, Nov 22, 2006 IP