1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to use the H1 for SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by cryoffalcon, Jun 30, 2012.

Hi,
    I have heard that in SEO h1 receives more importance than other items like <a> or p or anything So I am trying to use h1 in a situation but I am not quite sure that will it be considered as standard and will google account for it in the same as an ordinary h1 tag.

Let me explain by an example for better understanding, I have something like this <li class="selected"><a href="#">All</a></li>
    now what I think is legal is this to put h1 first and then use a tag so it will be like this <h1><a>All</a><h1> but the problem is that if I use this then my jquery thing stops working as it wants the a tag first.
    So what I did is this <a><h1>All</h1></a> as you can see in this I used a first and h1 as second tag, so what do you think is it according to the standards and most important will GOOGLE look at it as a LINK or as a H1 tag?

cryoffalcon, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Use the H1 tag for headings at the top of the page.

dcristo, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  3. cryoffalcon

cryoffalcon Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks alot for your reply it is do worthy and I will keep that in mind.

cryoffalcon, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  4. adbash

adbash Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you to use H1 tag only once and for title of website. Read about html and xhtml standards and it will solve your problem :)

adbash, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  5. SearchBliss

SearchBliss Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Heading tags carry just as much weight as a paragraph, bolded text, or a simple sentence. This being said, H tags on static HTML pages have a defined hierarchy. H1, H2, H3, etc. The use of these tags come in handy when defining CSS behaviors. So it doesn't matter how many H1's, H2's, etc., you have. My site uses the H1 tags a few times on each page, again for layout reasons, and in the 8 years of doing this, it has never hurt, nor helped.

SearchBliss, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  6. bhanu16

bhanu16 Peon

Best Answers:
    H1 tags are very important for your website title and headings. here are some example of using H1 tags

although it is a very brief about using heading tags it is very necessary that using heading tag is must be clean and effectively used. here is a good way about using headings

bhanu16, Jul 1, 2012 IP
  7. Alien44

Alien44 Member

Best Answers:
    Google gives higher priority to the text within the <h1> tags than almost any other text on your page.
    Always put an <h1> tag on each page - preferably as a header to the rest of the page. Also be sure to put your keywords in them.

Alien44, Jul 1, 2012 IP
  8. smart_business

smart_business Member

Best Answers:
    use keyword in H1 tag, and you can use this tag on the top of the page.

smart_business, Jul 1, 2012 IP
  9. SchenkerF

SchenkerF Peon

Best Answers:
    Try using the keywords in H1 tag as already mentioned and also try to use your keyword once in a H2 tag. Be careful not to use multible H1 tags as this would lower their effect.

SchenkerF, Jul 1, 2012 IP
  10. nickywalker

nickywalker Member

Best Answers:
    I only use one H1 tag per page, a couple h2 for each page then whatever suits for h3. The main thing for on-page SEO (if you are targetting one keyword/s) is that they appear in your title tag, H1 and then as naturally as possible throughout the rest of text

nickywalker, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  11. shophia

shophia Active Member

Best Answers:
    According to me H1 is very important tag for your site title and as well as description. Starting your website’s webpage with a heading that reviews your content and setting the heading in the html H1 tag can assist promote search engine optimization. Using HTML heading tags to expose the formation of your detail can help out boost your page's ranking in search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing and so on.

shophia, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  12. azharSEO

azharSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can use H1 tag in the first level heading of a webpage.

azharSEO, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  13. suvendug

suvendug Member

Best Answers:
    H1 is very important tag in SEO, so try to use h1 in home and other service pages, and put your main keywords in H1, and make sure, put you main keywords in a sentence don't stuff keywords in h1.

suvendug, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  14. deeptigarg

deeptigarg Peon

Best Answers:
    H1 tag is very important for a website. H1 Tag is used to the top of the page heading, in the sense if you want to give the heading on page similar to your domain name in that case we put the H1 tag on that keyword.

deeptigarg, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  15. PatrickLSO

PatrickLSO Peon

Best Answers:
    To actually answer your question, using an h1 tag inside of a link is fine. But like everyone said, h1 should not normally be used more than once, so try switching it to a h2 or lower if you have a lot of them.

PatrickLSO, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  16. scholarsjunction

scholarsjunction Member

Best Answers:
    Use your target keywords in H1 tag but its should be relevant according to the page.

scholarsjunction, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  17. atomitservices

atomitservices Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use your target keywords in H1 or heading of your paragraph and sub heading in H2 tags. Search engines give weightage to H1 and H2.

atomitservices, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  18. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Like most of the SEO snake oil, the ABUSE of heading tags, much like the abuse of definition lists and other asshattery runs entirely contrary to the point of the tags, how they are actually used, and what they are actually FOR. It becomes about gaming the engines instead of following the engine's advice and writing for USERS first.

Headings are there to provide structure -- levels of headings and their 'importance' (horrible choice of word in the legalese used to write the spec -- people screw it up almost as much as they do 'empty elements') are all about marking sections of a page (which is why HTML 5's SECTION and ARTICLE tags are pointless bull) -- as is a horizontal rule.

Numbered headings (h1..h6) exist to mark the start of sections of the page -- that is their purpose! Horizontal rules when used semantically also break sections. When they say that H1 has the most importance, that's not as in "important" but as in "priority" -- it is the heading under which ALL SECTIONS OF THE PAGE are a subsection... this is why putting the most important article on the page as a H1 often makes no sense, as then every other heading as a h2 is a subsection -- which might be fine, but it might also be a train wreck. H2's mark the start of subsections of H1's, H3's mark the start of subsections of the h2 preceding them, and so on and so forth -- HR (horizontal rule) indicates a start of a section that doesn't have/need a heading. (I typically treat them like they were a H2). As such they fan out like a tree, which is why it's best practice to only have a H1 -- and why I think HTML 5's new structural rules are as half assed as the average heading abuse and nonsensical/broken orders made by people who never bothered learning how to use them properly. Likewise it's where the whole 'skipping over levels' things -- like a H2 followed by a H5 -- is considered nonsense, since there's no heading for that H5 to even be a subsection of. The handful of us who use Opera and it's 'heading navigation' can attest to how well this could work -- and if people bothered to use them properly it could be made to work far, far better than the idiotic pointless bloat the whatwg would have us **** all over pages with.

Think about a book or a newspaper -- what heading is on EVERY page (or pair of pages depending on how it's bound)? The title of the paper or the book -- sure it's PRESENTATION is different on every page, but that's your H1. It's what the page is part of. While the main headline on the front of the paper may be in massive text, structurally it is no different than any of the other section headings on the page. "MAYOR CAUGHT TAKING MILLION DOLLAR BRIBE" may be the biggest text on the front page, but that doesn't mean "K-6 GETS NEW SCHOOL" and "MAN BEATEN BEHIND LOCAL DINER" are subsections of it -- or at least, we hope not. (I mean, it is possible the man was beaten so he couldn't testify against the mayor who used the money to pay for the school...) Structurally they'd all be H2 -- they only differ in PRESENTATION... and presentation has no business whatsoever in your markup! Say what things ARE, NOT what they look like!!!

That's why a H1 as the first article or content section of a page's heading makes no sense, since if for example you had "Latest News" or "Links" or "Visit us on Facebook" in the sidebar, you'd end up making them subsections of "Welcome to our website" or worse, something like "New product just released".

Which is why the majority of headings on a page should be H2... and why the site title should be a H1. Sure, some folks would argue that's what the TITLE tag in the head is for -- but TITLE is not content, and is optional for user agents to even use for anything. Besides, TITLE is for link listing, window chrome, tab description -- NOT for document structure.

Whenever you use a heading, ask yourself - "Is this a subsection of the heading before it?" - if the answer is no, then you should use a sibling-level or parent level number... if you keep going up and hit H1 and the answer is still no, then you have the wrong thing as your H1.

... and as always, if you are choosing your tags based on their default appearance, it's most likely you are choosing the wrong tags.

Though try telling that to the re-re's who actually think HTML 5's new tags are worth a flying purple fish...

Could be worse though, could be idiotic trash like:
    <p class="heading"><b><font size="+1">Latest News</font></b></p>

or even worse:
    <td class="heading">

or even worse:
    <td colspan="5" class="tableTitle">

Which if you don't know what's wrong with those, do the world a favor, back the **** away from the keyboard, and take up something a bit less dangerous like macramé.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    deathshadow, Jul 20, 2012 IP
  19. same2cool

same2cool Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You dont need to use H1 tag, it is already exist into body title, you need to focus on H2 tag for your target keyword,
    then focus on bold, itelic, underline

same2cool, Jul 20, 2012 IP
  20. wordpecker

wordpecker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with all of you.Use of H1 tag once is the best practice.I use H2 frequently instead of H3 or H4.

wordpecker, Jul 20, 2012 IP