1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which program would be best for a beginner creating a website?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by wierdo, Jun 29, 2012.

One of my relatives needs to create a website and wants to use some software. I've never used software for making a website, so I don't know what I should tell her to use.

So what would be easy to learn for a beginner that would help her make a decent website for a conference?

wierdo, Jun 29, 2012 IP
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly... I use a programmers editor and nothing more. I have DreamWeaver and I've used it in the past but I hate how it formats my code and it actually takes MORE time to do something. If I honestly had to suggest a program to use it would be DreamWeaver. BUT nothing is better than writing raw HTML.

NetStar, Jun 29, 2012 IP
  3. rokfamer

rokfamer Peon

Best Answers:
    Try with Wordpress. It is very easy to handle Wordpress if your are newbie in building Websites

rokfamer, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  4. sakihost

sakihost Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to second this. I ran an entire web design business on the side using nothing but Wordpress. There are so many themes and plugins out there that anyone who can run a search bar can eventually piece together a website that does what they want. Wordpress is an excellent way to get a site up and running quickly and have it not look like crap.

sakihost, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  5. NathanCH

NathanCH Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tell her to check out SquareSpace.com

NathanCH, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  6. sakihost

sakihost Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never tried it. Since getting out of the design biz, I'm always looking for quick and easy ways to set up sites for personal projects. If this is easier and gives comparable results to WP, I'm game. What do you think of it? Have you used it much?

sakihost, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  7. vitabion

vitabion Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest you to use wordpress to create a website easily. by using it here nothing dificult to do. easy to control and easy to understand in short time. I hope it'll help you out and your dream will be successful. So don't waste your time. cause you know time and tide wait for none.

vitabion, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  8. lhavro

lhavro Peon

Best Answers:
    I used Word Press and also Kompozer. Word Press is for people who would like to build more than 1 page on the website, yet, Kompozer is for people who want to build a 1 page website. Kompozer is much easier to understand.

lhavro, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Then you already have your head in the right spot -- since using any sort of 'software' to build a site results in fat bloated inaccessible train wrecks. This is particularly true of 'tools' like Dreamweaver, Frontpage, The artist formerly known as frontpage, etc, etc...

As the saying goes, the only thing about Dreamweaver that can be considered professional grade tools are the people promoting it's use.

Anything more complex than a free flat text editor is just sleazing it out any old way.

deathshadow, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  10. 21lockdown

21lockdown Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depends what software you want. If you want a base of the site already made and you just edit it from the backend, use Wordpress or Drupal.

If you want to make your own website from scratch using a Wizard, use dreamweaver.

21lockdown, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  11. AffiliatesCollege

AffiliatesCollege Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Another vote for using WordPress!

Flexability with widgets and plugins, visually and for optimization is great. I'm currently working on producing a detailed "watch over my shoulder" step by step tutorial collection. It will start from choosing a niche, registering a domain name, all the way through to setting up a WordPress site correctly and getting traffic. Pity it isn't finished yet as this would have been perfect for your relative :(

AffiliatesCollege, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  12. wierdo

wierdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone. The only problem is that I think it may be hosted on a university website, so I don't know what kind of access she would have to the site and what it would support. I probably should have mentioned that from the beginning.

I know, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to learn HTML/CSS. I had heard many negative things about dreamweaver, etc. and I wondered if there would be any similar software that anyone would recommend. I think she'll either use Wordpress or use some sort of software; I don't think she'll be learning HTML.

Thanks, I appreciate the responses.

wierdo, Jun 30, 2012 IP
  13. sarkar1990

sarkar1990 Member

Best Answers:
    Use Wordpress as its easily customizable. Or if you want an HTML website any WYSIWYG editor is good for a beginner. I use Sublime Text 2, but that is for the advanced coders only. :)

sarkar1990, Jul 1, 2012 IP
  14. gauravmultiplex

gauravmultiplex Peon

Best Answers:
    Try wordpress. Its easy to handle. Wordpress includes custom design templates, integrated statistics, automatic spam protection and many other features.

gauravmultiplex, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  15. ogah

ogah Member

Best Answers:
    ms word or open office writer are software that can make html page.typing what you want to display at your page then save as html

ogah, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  16. iMaCuLaTe

iMaCuLaTe Peon

Best Answers:
    Artisteer is also very good for beginners. One of the nicest features is the "suggest" button for each section of the site.

iMaCuLaTe, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  17. johnaustin9

johnaustin9 Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress site are more easier to handle as compared other themes

johnaustin9, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  18. IFP

IFP Member

Best Answers:
    i like artister n wordpress....... :D

IFP, Nov 21, 2012 IP
  19. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then she doesn't want to create a website. It's like I don't want to learn anything about cooking, but I want to make a Thanksgiving dinner. One or the other. She can't create a website unless she knows HTML at least, and she should know CSS, Javascript and PHP (and programming). "Creating a site" isn't something you can go from 0 to site in a weekend if you're creating it from scratch.

If she "wants a site", just to have a site, she can use Blogger, Wordpress or the site builder on whatever host she buys space.

Rukbat, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  20. ca3s4r

ca3s4r Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is made for this purpose man. Don't spend money on expensive web designers. Wordpress is all you need to create a A+ site all by yourself within matters of hours.

ca3s4r, Nov 22, 2012 IP