1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback NEVER ban premium members!

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by drawer, May 13, 2012.

1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... this is what it started as. :)

[​IMG]

digitalpoint, May 21, 2012 IP
  2. kulik

kulik Member

Best Answers:
    That should be a bannable offense, forget Premium accounts. Especially being at HackForums and having that avatar. You must be 15...16?

That's my suggestion.

kulik, May 21, 2012 IP
  3. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcome for the red any day! At least I sign my name to it. ;-)

You can stoop to making comments about illiteracy if you like, if it it makes you feel better and superior.

(FYI, people with "race" issues can be in any country, of any colour, ethnicity, etc.)

Just think about this - these "low quality" countries you mentioned and never banning premium members. You have some conflicting ideas (as there are some premium members from at least some of the "low quality" countries). The issue isn't where they are from, but how people conduct themselves (such as spamming for links - sound familiar?).

ryan_uk, May 21, 2012 IP
    dexterb007 likes this.
  4. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have paid the premium membership and still haven't been banned, so I don't see the point of having immunity.. And honestly I should have got a few infractions at least for some posts, but I guess the moderators didn't spot them.

JamesColin, May 23, 2012 IP
  5. SpringCypress

SpringCypress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shaun,

Since it looks like you're following this thread, I'm going to post my thoughts here instead of creating a new one.

I know in the grand scheme of things my forum account means almost nothing. I post very infrequently now. I also log in much less frequently I used to love the DP forums because of the information that was provided. There was a knowledgeable userbase that could and more importantly would answer questions. However I've noticed a downward spiral in the quality of the product that's offered on the forums. It used to be that I could come on here and read for hours. Obviously not every thread was a work of art, but in any given page of threads the majority of them would be good reads. Now it seems like I have to look through multiple categories and several pages of threads just to find a couple that are worth looking at. Try to find something on this list that's worth reading.

Honestly I don't know if the quality posters have left or if they're just being drowned out in all the trash. There has to be a way to clean the site up. I don't know what it is, but there has to be a way doesn't there?

I'm sure you've asked yourself these questions (in regards to the forums), but I'm going to list them anyway. I run through these same things when I'm creating a lesson plan (I teach physics) but I've found they also work pretty well when I'm putting together a website.
    1. What is the purpose of this lesson?
    2. What strategies am I employing to teach the lesson?
    3. Are these strategies effective at teaching the lesson?
    4. What can I change the next time I teach this lesson to make it more informative?

I'm not a huge believer in the content is king phrase because it doesn't take into account the effect of shitty content. I don't think content for content's sake is the direction any website should go for i.e. just to have a multitude of words that don't offer any real benefit. I want content that is specific, easy to find, written by knowledgeable individuals, and current. In all honesty I like most of the ideas that you've already suggested. Country bans, Sponsorships, etc...

I'd think it would be neat to also find those posters that provide you with the premium content and give them their own bylines (to take an idea from the print media). I'm sure there are SEVERAL posters here that I would love to follow. I'd love to be able to read on what they're interested in rather than hear them 1. defend dmoz again. 2. explain the usefulness of directories again. 3. explain why page file size is still important again. 4. so forth and so on.

If something like that was in place I suspect I'd probably stop visiting the forums all together. However I'd also be willing to bet that my click through rate would increase as well as I'd be much more likely to go look at and actually buy something that one of these posters recommended.

Just my thoughts. (still use the shit out of the tools.)

Last edited: May 28, 2012
    SpringCypress, May 28, 2012 IP
  6. drawer

drawer Peon

Best Answers:
    @SpringCypress,

If it isn't obvious yet, Shawn actually WANTS DP to fall into total crap-status.

If he allowed people to sell Facebook likes, social bookmarks, or any other popular service in the online marketing world, or do anything else that wasn't in awe (fear) of his magnificent moderation team of working-for-free Indian teenagers and 50-something American stay at home dads, then nobody would buy his premium membership package... and then he would have no more groupies.

Which is why he is sitting here trolling his own forum's feedback section with... photos of beer! :rolleyes:

drawer, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Clearly... And letting people pay for absolute immunity from breaking our rules would really make it a much better place, huh? Lol

digitalpoint, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  8. HJITechnologiesLLC

HJITechnologiesLLC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why is a discussion of this nature even going on?

Seriously.. OP, you are asking Shawn and the staff members to put no restrictions what so ever on premium members? That's outrageous. You're expecting full exception to the board's rules and policies just because you're a premium member? No... That will never be the case. Spam is one of the toughest things Administration of a forum has to deal with. I'm actually glad that even premium members have to follow the same rules as everyone else. Why? Because being a premium member gives you access to tools that will further your experience here at DP, giving you an edge over regular members here in areas to help promote business. You don't become a premium member to be immune to everything and be in a sense 'god' on the forum where 'you can do whatever you want'.

Considering how big this website is and how busy the site gets, everyone is lucky that the premium membership is considerably cheap. Yes, CHEAP. Shawn can charge MUCH more for what you get, the traffic you are getting by being a premium member here. You get access to tools to help you better your own business.

Follow the rules like everyone else, suffer the consequences for your mistakes just like everyone else, and appreciate/enjoy the extra benefits you get by being a premium member, instead of complaining.

Never forget, even if you pay for premium membership, it's not your RIGHT to have it. It is a privilege. Don't abuse it.

'nuff said.. :)

HJITechnologiesLLC, Jun 15, 2012 IP
  9. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hate that phrase: "Its not a right, its a privilege".

I hate it so much that if I had children I'd probably use it all of the time.

Laceygirl, Jun 15, 2012 IP
  10. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What is the position for Sri Lanka in this G analytics list? :)

dumindushalika, Jun 16, 2012 IP
    dexterb007 likes this.
  11. Cucumba123

Cucumba123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, he rather failed. He is fighting, but he ain't a good fighter..

Cucumba123, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  12. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Love*, Jul 4, 2012 IP
  13. Cucumba123

Best Answers:
    What's so funny about it?

Cucumba123, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  14. Install

Install Member

Best Answers:
    I don't get the funny joke too.

Install, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  15. rahulbangar

rahulbangar Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't agree with you mate. I have been using DP since last few months and I really liked it. I think admins are quite wise to differentiate between a spammer and a geek. I have seen many people posting not so useful things on DP or just asking a very very basic or stupid questions. So, I guess admins have to punish spammers.

However, I think they can or should give some warning too :)

rahulbangar, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  16. coolseo36

coolseo36 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very entertaining thread I must say :)

@drawer..appreciated all what you said and giving your time for something that would be beneficial for all others..not many people would do that!

@ryan_uk..great words!

I don't agree, sorry!

-----------

Well, I honestly believe that most of the "sellers" here are unwanted, non-English speaking, thirdy-world users..states can prove it wrong though..Idk...but with only us-uk users selling, dp won't be an affordable place to buy for many buyers out there :p

I just want to say:

Everything is fine on Dp. You do bad, you get infractions..you do it more, you get banned.

But..

"Permanent Ban" to quite an old account seems bit unfair..no matter what!

Back in 2009 when it all started, many users were banned overnight for different reasons..of course they all must have committed an offense as per the new rules those were announced...but for quite old users it was an unfair move..shattered their businesses. They should have been given at least one chance to appeal.

My concern is completely based on what OP has said about 'loyalty' of people using this forum, irrespective of their region.

P.S:

After going through the discussion here for a while, I have started feeling low about coming from India! So being a third-world user, I don't think my opinion would have much value..but still I would 'spam' here happily :rolleyes:'

Universe tends to unfold as it should- Movie, Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
    coolseo36, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  17. AmericanMaster

AmericanMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello.

Hope this correct way to speak to DP Mods or DP owners. New Account 2 users 1 IP. My name is Phil and roomate is James -username is southcaro. James username was banned again. I require my username because he fails to follow rules. DP is one of my favorite sites online. Makes me sad that his account is banned so I opened own account.

We will never do anything unethical and I will stay far from all of his threads forever!

If this is not the proper way to contact a mod, please let me know so that I update proper person at DP.

Have a wonderful New Year.

Phil

AmericanMaster, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  18. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Sharing accounts is not allowed. Each member needs their own account. Both of you using other account need to serve out your ban and return when ban expires.

Smyrl, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  19. Cucumba123

Best Answers:
    So they got banned for sharing accounts? It's not like you would know when they are sharing accounts unless they speak out. Banning them would not deter them from sharing accounts. Retarded if you ask me.

Cucumba123, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  20. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Correction to your statement. Original account was banned due to infractions that occurred prior to AmericanMaster's making new account due to ban.

Smyrl, Jan 1, 2013 IP