1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Oh lord, clueless - Reseller hosting.

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Joshie, Jun 12, 2012.

I am having major problem with setting up reseller hosting, I thought it'd be simple due to running websites ever since 2004 so I figured I knew what to do but until then I signed up for reseller hosting and soon I logged into WHM, that's when I became clueless.

I think I got WHM part figured out, but not how to set it up to sell it. They provided me ClientExac which is what I am using in attempt to sell hosting but I don't know what to go about it especially connecting server and setting up in ClientExac. How should I go about this? Baby steps? Or am I out of luck?!

Joshie, Jun 12, 2012 IP
  2. SolidShellSecurity

SolidShellSecurity Banned

Best Answers:
    ClientExec like other billing software will allow setup of accounts automatically. The best thing recommend you do is read up on ClientExec as you will be working a lot with it as you deal with clients so you will want to toy around with it to understand it.

Since your host provided you with it, they should be able to help you set it up. We do that with our clients and walk them through step by step

SolidShellSecurity, Jun 12, 2012 IP
  3. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WSWD, Jun 12, 2012 IP
  4. Santrex.net

Santrex.net Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Have you already solved your issue, the OP?

Santrex.net, Jun 13, 2012 IP
  5. Dj.c

Dj.c Peon

Best Answers:
    OP, must be busy reading the documentation and FAQ. Please update us accordingly .

Dj.c, Jun 13, 2012 IP
  6. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank every one of you so much for responses, I greatly appreciate it!

I have read a bit, actually. But I am not big fan of big words.

They didn't help me much, I mean I did ask them for some help to at least get around it but all they said was "If you run into any specific issues with getting resold accounts to be set up properly, we'd be more than happy to help you. Unfortunately we do not offer any custom development services." Along with a link to tutorial about setting up accounts and package inside of WHM and that's it but nothing about how to set it up to be ready, I mean I know how to work coding but when it comes to servers, that I am absolutely clueless since I have never poke my finger in it.

I wish I have solved my issue but seems like I haven't. Hoping to get it solved though, so that way I can finally get decent income for my family since jobs are running out around my area.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    Joshie, Jun 13, 2012 IP
  7. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ive only ever used whmcs, (no comment to which is better as i dont know)

but the steps were that you need to create in whm the packages for your clients, then you would install the clientexec.

After installation theres going to be somewhere that you can set the servers up, and connect it to the whm, you would have to put in passwords, as well as the access key (found from within whm)
    then your going to need to tell clientexec which packages and package names you created on whm.

if you can wait until the weekend, i can take a look at helping you with clientexec, although im really only familar with whmcs.

matt_62, Jun 13, 2012 IP
  8. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With all due respect, how are you going to run a web hosting "company", if you can't even read the documentation for the billing software? This sounds like another one of the thousands of other "unlimited everything for $1/mo." hosts that fail, running illegal businesses, and having no idea what they're doing.

If you're planning on making decent income for your family, you're going about it all the wrong way.

WSWD, Jun 13, 2012 IP
  9. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, is it wrong that I want to learn how to run it? I think it's the right way, since you don't know how I am. I am disabled, I am handicapped and hard of hearing so this could help me which is why I became web developer and web designer long ago but hasn't yet to learn how to do server side or anything such in that way yet. But I don't intend it to be illegal business. Note that I am hard of hearing, that I weren't properly educated in English to read because I can't hear through the teachers, you know? But it's all good, since you didn't know my condition. :) But my goal is that I want to earn the income by run a legal business which only thing I can think of is hosting business but offer the best service as possible as I can because I never want to be in illegal of anything, I am christian.

But I am hoping that it would be a successful so I can finally make my life a bit easier due to the fact that I cannot work of course except whatever I can find on computer to work with such as being web developer and web designer and be able to provide my family at same time so I can finally do something for us. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to tell you how I am but I had to so you know better of my reason and you're first to know about me being disabled because I couldn't tell anyone.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    Joshie, Jun 15, 2012 IP
    dareknyght likes this.
  10. PromptSpace-Kushal

PromptSpace-Kushal Member

Best Answers:
    I honestly feel you are not in a position to see webhosting. You should rather setup and development environment and practice doing everything yourself. You shouldn't be charging people money unless you are professional and offer them professional services.

PromptSpace-Kushal, Jun 15, 2012 IP
  11. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, thank you for your response sir. Although I am going to it. But I am learning it first before I do so though.

Joshie, Jun 15, 2012 IP
  12. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your disabilities and being Christian have absolutely nothing to do with running a business...nothing at all. People with disabilities run legitimate businesses all the time. But they understand the business, and are skilled in the business, and learn about the business before just attempting to open one up without having a clue what they are doing.

Your situation would be like me opening up a bicycle shop, even though I know nothing about bicycles, and not reading or learning anything about the business because the words in the documentation are too big.

Like I said, you need to read the documentation if you don't understand. How are you going to run servers and fix clients' support issues if you can't even be bothered to read and understand the documentation for your billing software?

Best of luck, but this is a business just waiting to fail, I'm afraid.

WSWD, Jun 15, 2012 IP
  13. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, I get your point. Surprisingly, I am getting a hang of it I think. I look up in dictionary if some words I didn't understand so dictionary helps me a little bit. So I am getting hang on the server, and starting to get the idea how clientexac works since that I realize that they are only billing system, sort of like ecommerce where people buy things and then I set it up for them is what I am getting at finally. Although, I am a bit stuck at the server option inside clientexac is what I am trying to figure but rest of settings/options are finished but server option inside clientexac is what bothers me.

But as goes for fixing clients support issues. I have already had a plan for that. I have to hire few of employees to help me with clients supports but website development is all on me which isn't a problem at all. As you say, this is a business just waiting to fail and I say, that's great and I am looking forward to that. Because my family would always say "In order to succeed, you must first be willing to fail". :)

But you're right. There's few way that disabled people like myself can make income the other way, such as opening a bikecycle shop like you said. Although, the internet is my thing. And beside, I don't want my degree to go waste which is web design. Sure, I can do web designs for some companies but believe me in this area where I currently live, you won't get any luck with any job anywhere. Yes, you're right that it doesn't have anything to do with Christian to run a business, but I didn't say anything about being a Christian to run business, I was telling you that I refuse to do anything illegal, basically saying that I am not into for illegal business or such because I am a christian. If you get my point.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    Joshie, Jun 15, 2012 IP
  14. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    After reading through all of that, I'd say, Ive only ever used WHMCS. From the user end demos, and admin demos, it looked the most straight forward to use etc etc.

Just remember, google is your friend ;)

alex_e, Jun 17, 2012 IP
  15. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    Some good video tutorials might help you out a good bit. Usually a good hosting provider has an excellent knowledge base area that includes easy to follow support videos that address all of the platforms that you might need to use. Keep up the persistence and you will eventually figure it out and continue to improve your skills as you go along.

JPC-Sabrina, Jun 18, 2012 IP
  16. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you both for your responses!

True, Google is everybody's friend! I have been researching as I go, I believe I am getting used to it by now. Just need to build a website now, although my fear is that will it go through or will it not go through when customers order services. But I think I should be fine, hopefully. Got few more hours to learn and double check every thing to make sure that it's ready before I make it in public.

There's actually tutorials on hosting provider knowledge base area, although no video but in text. Only tutorial they given was on how to set in WHM but not how to connect the server to such a script, clientexac for example. Let's say, I need to figure how to get the clientexac to automatically accept and activate right away once the customer purchased a service product from hosting business website that I am setting up instead of having to manually add an account for the customer inside WHM, that's my problem at the moment.

Joshie, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  17. PromptSpace-Kushal

PromptSpace-Kushal Member

Best Answers:
    I am wondering, can you provide me with your web design portfolio? We might have an opening for you.

PromptSpace-Kushal, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  18. livetecshosting

livetecshosting Peon

Best Answers:
    You should hire a system management team if you need any professional services. WHMCS have option to add server through you can add your reseller account. Here are few basic steps which we follow with WHMCS.
    1. Add server in WHMCS pointing to your reseller account IP.
    2. Create package in WHM
    3. Create product in WHMCS defining server which you created and package plan which you defined in WHM.
    4. You are ready to go.

livetecshosting, Jun 28, 2012 IP
  19. Dj.c

Dj.c Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi brother in Christ,
    Don't you mind to poke back your provider for further understanding on how the reseller plan work out? They are absolutely love to assist you more, anyhow I don't see your disablitity and religion is connected to the web hosting.
    Do you know the first rules in sales field is learn how to tell a lies? :)
    No offend, e.g: Your backend hardware server break down, you will tell your client that you are doing some maintenance services. AND you just commit a sin by telling a lie. So don't mess up.

Dj.c, Jun 28, 2012 IP
  20. gombile13

gombile13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    as i'm not a big fan of clientexec, so I can't say more to help you

the first thing you need to do with WHM so it cans connect with any billing software like is by Setting up Remote Access Key and then place it in your clientexec server setting or something similar, don't forget to also create hosting Package on your WHM :)

for better help, contact your provider :)

gombile13, Jun 29, 2012 IP