1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

'Lifetime' Links - A False Promise?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by T0PS3O, May 17, 2005.

More and more I see link offers refering to 'lifetime' links.

I'd be hesitant calling them that because often times the forum post pretty much IS the contract of sale and judging by the many website sales one can never know how long a site or page will remain owned by the current owner.

'Lifetime' is ambigious in itself even. Is is the site's 'lifetime' or the webmaster's?

If I were on the buying end of such a deal I would want that rephrased into something more quantifiable.

In general I think a 'lifetime' link is of little value since your SEO campaigns tend to progress or evolve over time, bringing the need of changing anchor text etc. Buying a lifetime fixed link isn't that interesting IMO.

What do you think re: 'lifetime' link offers?

T0PS3O, May 17, 2005 IP
    mopacfan and Ajeet like this.
  2. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. I think that "lifetime" links tend to indicate links for a very large number of years. At the same time, I feel that lifetime links are fine as long as one provides some kind of a minimum guarantee. Another thing with lifetime links is that if I see sites where the domain name is paid for a long period of time, and I can verify that hosting has been paid in advance, I get some comfort that the lifetime is not about to end tomorrow.

Having said all that, I agree that there is a scam-like appearance to a lifetime offer deal. In fact, I used the term in two of my offerings in DP. In one I guaranteed that lifetime meant at least one year - or full money back. The other was in exchange of crawling, I probably should have offered it there too.

Good Point
    Ajeet

Ajeet, May 17, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Someone here sold links on his site then sold the site. Without a proper contract the new webmaster can do with those links what he wants.

'Lifetime' is open for interpretation so should be avoided IMO. Adding a disclaimer like '1 year at least' is the proper thing to do when deciding to use such wording.

T0PS3O, May 17, 2005 IP
  4. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

I am reminded of Sam Goldwyn's aphorism "A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on". :)

My maxim is "Buy text links from those who have never thought of selling them".

- Michael

Michael, May 17, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  5. Dastar

Dastar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've thought about this before too..... and I suppose as long as I think the site has a shot at being around awhile and the price is cheap, I usually go for it. Depends on allot of factors.

Dastar, May 17, 2005 IP
  6. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I sell lifetime links on my sites

its for the life of the sites, I mean the domain and hosting costs like $20 a year, so as long as they are making more then $20 a year the sites will prorbably still be online.

ferret77, May 17, 2005 IP
  7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    So when (before) you die you will make absolutely sure the next person in charge of those sites will keep those links on there?

T0PS3O, May 17, 2005 IP
  8. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    $20/year?! That's either a very cheap web host, or a low traffic site! :p

davedx, May 17, 2005 IP
  9. LinkBliss

LinkBliss Peon

Best Answers:
    I've marketed and sold a lot of "permanent" pr4 links for $72 that are embedded in articles.. I have every intention of keeping them there for 30 years and beyond.. but am always clear that the stated term in the agreement is one year so that if say my site crashed and burns and 15 years and I have a stroke or die they don't come looking to sue my estate :eek:

Eric

LinkBliss, May 17, 2005 IP
  10. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I don't know I acutally don't drink or smoke, I also run 5 miles several times a week. I think odds are I will out live most people who buy the links. But I hadn't really thought about it.

Well I pay $1.00 a month for 2 gigs of bandwidth, so I may have exaggerated. But $24.00 a year will cover 4 gigs of bandwidth a month, which is more then a lot of my little sites use. I actually have sites that make thousands of dollars a month and use less then 4 gigs of bandwidth.

Of course if you factor in the domain name for say $8.00 a year, that leaves a $1 a month for hosting. So that covers up to 2 gigs. I have a bunch of sites that use less then 2 gigs.

ferret77, May 17, 2005 IP
  11. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    And exactly who's "lifetime" are we talking about? The site's? The owner's? The internet? I think there is a lot of room for interpretation. It comes down to both parties agreeing on what "lifetime" really means.

mopacfan, May 17, 2005 IP
  12. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the best way would be to sell/buy a link for 1 year, 5 years or whatever. Or at least if the seller is proclaiming "lifetime" links, get him to cough up a minimum yearage for that (That's my opinion as someone who has never bought a link and probably won't) :)

exam, May 17, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  13. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I say permanent links, and that basically means for the length of the website.. I don't see the point wasting my time for 3 or 6 month links, you either place the link whilst the site is live or not at all IMO.

People can't ask for more.

DarrenC, May 17, 2005 IP