1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which HTML and CSS Editor do you prefer?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by richardm55, Jun 6, 2012.

1. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    This thread was meant to share the information which tools are preferable to use by different programmers.

richardm55, Jun 12, 2012 IP
  2. krist11

krist11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    CS5 DreamWeaver is best.

krist11, Jun 12, 2012 IP
  3. dreamzdb

dreamzdb Member

Best Answers:
    I use Coda, but I wasn't really a fan of the Coda 2 update... they finally implemented code folding but it doesn't work as expected. Right now I've reverted back to the original version. If I didn't use Coda I would use sublime editor, but they are still a bit too beta for me atm. I don't want to have to write code to make my editor work :).

dreamzdb, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  4. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Coda is also for Windows? Where can I get it? Has it got tool for code validation or does it check code syntax?

richardm55, Jun 24, 2012 IP
  5. INT - Design Service

INT - Design Service Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is a great tool but something that should be easy to use for any coder is Notepad++ its still the fastest tool to use to quickly edit a document!. And its FREE!

INT - Design Service, Jun 24, 2012 IP
  6. cons1t

cons1t Peon

Best Answers:
    Gasp! I use windows server and edit the files from the sites on the servers remote desktop locally. Notepad++ is great because it is simple, can find in files and lets you do it all by hand.

Dreamweaver has some nice sync features that make life a lot easier, if I had to choose the old FTP >> Edit >> Upload method I would prefer Dreamweaver's FTP sync any day.

cons1t, Jun 24, 2012 IP
  7. maxking1234

maxking1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is the best!

maxking1234, Jun 24, 2012 IP
  8. leonvictor2012

leonvictor2012 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I prefer Notepad++ for HTML and CSS editor, which is really very fast and smart. we don’t need to write full tag coding if we want to use table tag then we just select table tag option and it automatically generate full code itself.

leonvictor2012, Jun 25, 2012 IP
  9. Alien44

Alien44 Member

Best Answers:
    I usually use Notepad++ or PHP-IDE for Windows - by Maguma.

I'd still like to have one that shows the different tags in different colors (for clarity).

Also, one that highlights any errors, like unclosed tags, etc.

Alien44, Jun 25, 2012 IP
  10. aoreiano

aoreiano Banned

Best Answers:
    I prefer to use Text Editor for HTML.

aoreiano, Jun 25, 2012 IP
  11. frednjkin

frednjkin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer notepad+++ for its simplicity & ease of use :)

frednjkin, Jun 25, 2012 IP
  12. citysider

citysider Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Dreamweaver for any visuals that just aren't seeming to work but I like Notepad++ or any other standard text editor for quick changes before I push them back to the server. If I'm doing any security coding then Visual Studio 2010 just nails it in terms of simplicity and ease of use.

citysider, Jun 25, 2012 IP
  13. dreamzdb

dreamzdb Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately Coda is only for mac, it's the main reason I continue to use a mac really. It has code hinting. As far as validation and syntax go... It doesn't have the debugging tools you would get with a full IDE like Eclipse. But, with code hinting you will be using correct syntax because you only need to type a few letters and hit tab to get the rest of whatever you are doing. Debugging front-end code is best done in a browser w/ the Inspector or Web Development Tools plugin. I prefer to debug HTML / CSS / JS in chrome or Firefox.

Some people think that code hinting is cheating in some way like it's cooler if you can use straight notepad. Those people are are idiots. You save a TON of time by only type a few letters and tabbing then going on the next one. It becomes second nature and you are still learning by using it.

The problem w/ dreamweaver is it's overkill. It's super bulky, memory intensive and slow. I think dreamweaver is meant to be more of a WYSWIG editor. People will argue that I'm sure, I know it has code view, but if you are using it in only code view you could probably find something better / faster. Personally I don't know of a good code editor for the PC, I haven't ever been able to find one. Some people say Notepad++, it's okay...

If I had a PC and I had to write code I would probably use Notepad++. When you add all the bells and whistles of dreamweaver it just makes it a pain to deal with really. With that said, Dreamweaver does have code hinting and good resources so if you are learning and you are slow anyway, it might be perfect for you.

If you start to get serious about front-end web development and you start to make some money w/ it buy a mac :). I know that is opening a huge can of worms, but seriously, you will be much better off when it comes to graphics / front-end web tools. If you find that you like backend development (PHP, .NET, JAVA etc), you are better off w/ a PC and a full IDE like Eclipse or Zend Studio.

Remember, if you are doing this for a living, especially if you are on your own, time is money.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    dreamzdb, Jun 25, 2012 IP