1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alarm time for Content Writers now!!!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by dilon, Jun 5, 2012.

1. gabrielle06

gabrielle06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mods cannot do anything about the rates some writers are posting here. The thing is, not only do writers come here to advertise their cheap services, also webmasters seeking to hire cheap writers.

People who have been running websites for years know exactly what kind of writers to hire. As per my observation, only those people running low quality sites hire low quality writers.

The best thing to do is to let them be. Cheap writers are not really a competition for good writers here... trust me, webmasters know better than to hire cheaper content writers.

gabrielle06, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  2. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Laceygirl.

I have seen this thread(same thread many different titles) for years in this section. I see the same comments "I am so skilled my writing is golden" bla bla... Fact is everyone that has stayed in school past 16years old can write and their is just not that many writing jobs=Market flooded. If you are the "the best writer in the world" why are you on DP whining? DP already has hundreds/probably thousands of "the best writer in the world"=Market flooded.

averyz, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's like saying anyone capable of holding a paintbrush can paint the Mona Lisa. Sure, we are all taught how to construct sentences in school but it seems more and more people are still unable to communicate effectively. I've worked with more than a few college educated people who cannot even write a complete sentence.

All web-related services suffer from a low barrier to entry. Anyone with an Internet connection can proclaim themselves a writer, website designer or graphic artist. That doesn't mean the people with true talent and skills should have to accept pennies on the dollar for their work.

No matter what the product or service being offered, there's always going to be someone willing to underbid to get the job.

YMC, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  4. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the problem with this analogy is that we are in a work productive environment and people are not looking for expensive masterpieces. It is like comparing a website article on babysitting to Obamas written speech to the UN one is on a real work budget and the other is funded royalty with unlimited taxes from the peasants.

If people are really that elite they can work for the king but in the land of work production they must work with the general public and get general public wages. Writing is a fairly general skill and easy to find.

averyz, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  5. smanik

smanik Member

Best Answers:
    Conclusion is

Best Quality = Higher Price
    Good Quality = Average Price
    Low Quality = Less Price
    Bad Quality = $1 for 500 words…..

Thanks!

Steve

smanik, Jun 9, 2012 IP
  6. the writer

the writer Active Member

Best Answers:
    I fully agree with your statement and feeling. At a place like Digital Point, you're competing against people who sometimes are offering articles at a penny a word. Years ago I actually did get one pretty good writing gig here but those days are past. I just had a guy write on one of the forums that I was crazy looking for around $20 an article, and that was a deal I was offering.

The problem is, like most services, people aren't sure how to value things such as writing if they can't do it. Kind of like how we wonder why it costs $30 for an oil change, yet most of us don't want to take the time to learn how to do it.

the writer, Jun 9, 2012 IP
  7. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I feel that nowadays at DP (More than ever before), it is better to let the good buyers come to you than trying to find them. Make a thread, post quality samples (Or better yet, a link to your website/portfolio which you can also put in your sig) and then wait and hope for the best.

lightless, Jun 10, 2012 IP
  8. MarkWMS

MarkWMS Peon

Best Answers:
    A good and experienced writer will always earn more than ordinary ones. New writers might get less amount too. The amount payable to article or content writers vary from company to company. However, if you can prove that you write unique, grammatically correct and well-organized articles, then I don't think you will be less paid any more.

MarkWMS, Jun 11, 2012 IP
  9. officialkent87

officialkent87 Member

Best Answers:
    I feel the same way too. Moderators here in DP should be aware of these low cost - low quality offers. Plus, something should also be done to those clients who are so demanding and yet, they don't even want to pay a decent rate. I am sad to see all these crappy stuffs here in Digital Point. :(

officialkent87, Jun 11, 2012 IP
  10. NoelKuhl

NoelKuhl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Demand for capable writers is never going away. I've been in this game six years and I felt the same kind of alarm about these ridiculous rates since three years ago -- there's still plenty of good-paying work, though. All these people undercutting prices is just noise that you have to put up with. It's the same in every field, just amplified in content writing because everyone has written an essay at some point in their lives and think they can do it for extra cash.

If you want to continue to make money in this field, you have to:
    1. Write well
    2. Offer a value-add (don't just offer the same $3 or $4 per 100 words pitch -- get creative)
    3. Keep up with ever-changing SEO concepts (the last half year, I made decent money writing with a specific content-based SEO strategy as my main pitch -- not sure if it will still tide me over the next six months, however)
    4. Deliver on time (seriously, overworked cheap writers rarely make deadline, especially after overbooking themselves)

Those are things very few of the dirt-cheap sellers ever provide consistently and that's where you make your value.

NoelKuhl, Jun 20, 2012 IP
  11. MoreThanWords

MoreThanWords Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm happy there are people out there who saw the trend just like me! Just to make it clear: The cheap price goes hand in hand with the quality! And with the new google updates on their algorithm I strongly believe that the rates will be up in no time. I haven't changed my rate for 4 years and I must say that there are plenty companies out there who realizes how important it is to have high quality content.

Did you know that high quality content increases sales up to 15 more? Try to beat that!

MoreThanWords, Jun 20, 2012 IP
  12. furca

furca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This arguement has many different sides. There are many factors that contribute to decreased prices.

- More writers finding out they can easily write online and get paid = too much supply
    - More competition in terms of writing services = too much supply

Also, arguably there is more demand for content (even sub-par content). People need unique content to stay ranked in the serps, thus if its cheap then it makes sense. The goal is to find a quality service at a quality price. Best of luck!

furca, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  13. cyndrella

cyndrella Active Member

Best Answers:
    not at all $1.5 is not a fair price for quality writers. I am not a writer but i have little idea about this

cyndrella, Jul 11, 2012 IP
  14. sietch

sietch Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there's more to the story than just 'writers writing for cheap'.

It looks like people have realized that a whole bunch of IM newbies want content for their sites, but don't know how to filter good content. So some smart marketers hire people in the Philippines to write for $1 / 500 words. There's tons of people who want cheap content, and don't realize why it's so cheap or the consequences.

If you write high quality (engaging, addictive) content, you can still charge the big bucks. Especially with all the people who have been burned by these $1/article services...

sietch, Jul 12, 2012 IP
  15. timbonitus

timbonitus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How about DP makes an additional Content Creation section only accessible if you pay for it? Keep the old one for cheap writers/people who want cheap writers and make a new one for high quality writers/people who want high quality writers. think about it.

timbonitus, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  16. dynavox

dynavox Member

Best Answers:
    You have a very good point there.

dynavox, Jul 26, 2012 IP
  17. mindmedia

mindmedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The price is determined by the demand and the supply of a product or a service.

If there is 5 suppliers for every customer, don't you think that prices will surefire tank?

It's the same with every industry where competition is tough. Unless you reach that premium level, you are not going to get the cake!

mindmedia, Jul 27, 2012 IP
  18. promowebeveron

promowebeveron Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed. has the value of content writers gone down so much in the recent times?

promowebeveron, Jul 27, 2012 IP
  19. karinhopper736

karinhopper736 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its 100% true, there should be some authority to at least maintain quality against the rates but people from India, Bangladesh, Philippine and Kenya offer extremely low rates. $1 in Kenyan Currency becomes 84 KSH and same is the case with other countries. Well, after getting King Content from such writers, clients only prefeAr highly paid quality writers.
    If we roughly cost the 500 words article, it would be as:
    Electricity Expense
    Equipment Expense
    Energy Exertion
    Time Consumed
    Skill Utilized
    All these factors show that cost of 500 words article should not be less than $3.

karinhopper736, Aug 3, 2012 IP
  20. DeepThink

DeepThink Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a demand and supply thing. We now have so many writers that clients can now pay peanuts for jobs done for them. It's pathetic.

DeepThink, Aug 4, 2012 IP