1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is Google Panda and Google Penguins?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Faizann20, Jun 3, 2012.

This article is about what is google panda and google penguins because a lot of people just know that there is something named google panda and google penguins which just make their site a crap and block it at google. So here we will discuss what are these updates.

There have been 2 main types of updates over the last 2 years that rocked tens of thousands of websites. The first type is called Google Panda, and the second (more recent) type is Penguin.

Beware the Panda

Google’s Panda update was aimed at one thing- improving the experience of Google search engine users.
    Because Google had figured out that visitors hated going to small, spammy looking websites with poor quality content, they decided to target sites that had these characteristics:

• Lots of low Page Rank (PR) backlinks
    • Uneven backlink velocity (they came too fast or slow)
    • Too many/not enough keywords
    • High bounce rates
    • Too many links from the same sites
    • Poor onsite optimization (no internal linking)
    • No or very few outbound links

There were other factors as well, but these are a few of the biggest ones.
    Even though Google had been moving in this direction for a while, this solidified the fact that automated, spammy stuff didn’t work anymore.
    Marketers who had been using SE Nuke, Xrumer, Article Marketing Robot, Scrapebox, and dozens of other software the gives automated backlinks lost their entire businesses overnight.
    Meanwhile, other websites that had been built up “the right way” shot up in rankings.
    While some marketers were crying their eyes out, others were jumping with joy.
    But this wasn’t quite enough. Even though the Panda updates (which kept coming for a few years) had caused some huge waves, Google wasn’t done yet.

Enter the Penguin

Even though the Panda updates were huge, Google’s Penguin updates really shook things up.

According to Matt Cutts- Google’s spokesperson when it comes to SEO- the websites with a giant bulls-eye for getting crushed were those that were “over optimized”.

What did this mean? Well besides the factors mentioned above, probably the biggest change was concerning incoming backlinks’ anchor text.

In other words- if 97% of a website’s backlinks all had the anchor text of “how to lose 10 pounds in a week” or whatever- Google thought that looked fishy.

And it kind of does, when you think about it. How many people are going to link to an article they found with anchor text like that?
    Instead, a more realistic anchor text profile would include lots of other keywords, like how to lose weight, lose weight fast, lose 10 pounds, how this guy lost 10 pounds, this article, etc.

Something else that Google looked at was this- where is most of this website’s traffic coming from? Is it ALL coming from my search engine? Or is it also coming from guest posts, Facebook, articles, videos, press releases, and lots of other places across the internet?
    Again, this makes sense. A popular website will get traffic from TONS of different places- not just Google’s search engine.
    Meanwhile, a website that has been over-optimized may be receiving tons of traffic from Google, but none from other places. The Penguin didn’t like this, so these websites got CRUSHED.

The Aftermath

Tens of thousands of websites have been hurt by the Panda and Penguin- but some actually prospered.
    Now that we’re done with the history lesson, let’s get into the REAL meat of this report- how to build a rock solid SEO foundation.

Source:
    http://www.seobuzzy.com/what-is-google-panda-and-google-penguins/
    Code (markup):

Faizann20, Jun 3, 2012 IP
    imjustagirl likes this.
  2. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great post and excellent descriptions of the Panda and Penguin updates.

Thanks for sharing Faizann20.

danasurvey, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  3. martianflyboy

martianflyboy Peon

Best Answers:
    That had to be done sooner or later. Sure you could build up a sites link popularity with things like SE Nuke, Xrumer, Article Marketing Robot, Scrapebox and others, but I think people were getting tired of being suckered into visiting a website with no real content. Google had to use something like Panda and Penguin to downgrade junk websites so as to maintain Googles reputation.

martianflyboy, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  4. michael.aulia

michael.aulia Active Member

Best Answers:
    That sucks.. maybe I'm not good with marketing and don't have time to do social bookmarking?

michael.aulia, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  5. josefaryan

josefaryan Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing. Do you have your own experiences with Google panda or penguin i mean overcoming them without getting penalized by Google. Precautions, measurements and good practice which can save website from the panda or penguin updates?

josefaryan, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  6. Faizann20

Faizann20 Member

Best Answers:
    I never got penalized by panda, I just don't do Blackhatseo :D

Faizann20, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  7. uday11

uday11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i appreciate that ur efforts in keeping both major updates together.., thanks mate..,

uday11, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  8. tzoly

tzoly Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot :) nice documentation!

tzoly, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  9. ashleyjohn2347

ashleyjohn2347 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for such an interesting and useful article. I learn a lot from this about new algorithms that we should apply for SEO. Now new techniques have been used to overcome spamming and scamming. Thanks to Google panda and Google penguin. :)

ashleyjohn2347, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  10. jitking

jitking Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    wow...I was not aware of it. Now I got idea. Penguin looks dangerous. Thanks a lot friend for such knowledgeable nice article.

jitking, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  11. Prem Rawat

Prem Rawat Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks great information, before this i totally confuse about Penguin update, this information clear my confusion, keep it up the nice job, dud

Prem Rawat, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  12. jeffsmith

jeffsmith Member

Best Answers:
    Great post interesting , informative and useful indeed thanks for the share :)

jeffsmith, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  13. Faizann20

Faizann20 Member

Best Answers:
    Give me Some Rep Guys, I m gonna post More :p

Faizann20, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  14. Soumyananda

Soumyananda Member

Best Answers:
    I think Google uses different algorithms to block the spammy, low content sites and the names have been given like that.

Soumyananda, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  15. thundertoms

thundertoms Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for useful Topic

thundertoms, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  16. developers

developers Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice and informative discussion .

developers, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  17. emarion1114

emarion1114 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for sharing.. That’s very useful and informative post especially to those who are not familiar with these two.

emarion1114, Jun 9, 2012 IP
  18. war_machine

war_machine Active Member

Best Answers:
    If your website has a poor user experience (no content above the fold) and shows symptoms of being a content farm (lots of old evergreen content that rarely gets search traffic), it could have been hit by Panda.

If your website uses black- and/or gray-hat SEO tactics, it could have been hit by Penguin.

That's overly simplistic, but you get the point.

Moral of the story: Create a truly great web presence for the user, and naturally build an engaged and loyal userbase. Because Google's AI isn't getting any dumber. You may be able trick the algorithm that your content is good for now, but there are quite a few PhD's working tirelessly to improve that algorithm and penalize unremarkable websites.

war_machine, Jun 9, 2012 IP
  19. rubeljoy

rubeljoy Peon

Best Answers:
    Informative writing regarding Panda and Penguin. They just destroyed my sleep and found no way to regain my old position.

rubeljoy, Jun 12, 2012 IP