1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'SEO' started by batman4444, Jun 5, 2012.

Over the past few years I have built several websites all with the hope eventually building some sort of online passive income from advertising on the site. However, for the most part they have all been utterly unsuccessful. The good news is that I have learned a whole lot about web development and have taught myself programing. Bad news is that I have spent hundreds of hours (possibly thousands) and have not really attracted any significant traffic.

My question is, what am I doing wrong? Even for relatively low competition keywords I am still buried in the SERPs.

On my latest project found here html5gamer.net I have tried to follow all of the onsite of the onsite optimization tips. I have diligently been working to build backlinks in none-spam and non-paid ways. Webmaster tools reports 68 different domains linking to me and there are probably hundreds more. I made several pages of content not to mention 2 unique writeups for each game posted.

Are there any SEO experts out there that have any suggestions to help improve my rankings? The keyword I am trying to target is “html5 games”.

Thanks for your help.

batman4444, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  2. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In a quick search for link:www.html5gamer.net its obvious you don't have as many backlinks as you think. The ones you do have are from your own site and the others are not related to html5 games. Plus, I would scrap the footer paragraph or edit some keywords out. Looks spammy to a Google bot.

I would start with some relevant quality backlinks. Looking at the current search rankings, you should be able to get to page 1 pretty easily.

r3dt@rget, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  3. batman4444

batman4444 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your quick reply r3dt. The idea of changing up the footer text sound pretty good to me. I purposely wrote it to target keywords, but maybe I overdid it.

As for the backlinks reported with the link:html5gamer.net That cant be correct. Webmaster tools reports around 400 links from 68 different sites. If you do a google search for “html5gamer.net” you see hundreds of results many of them links.

batman4444, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  4. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That may be true, so check those links. Are your links on related websites? Google values links on sites that are relevant to your niche and have a good reputation. Just one of these links is worth more than 100 of any other link.

r3dt@rget, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  5. marketing3

marketing3 Peon

Best Answers:
    the main reason behind your unsuccessful websites is lack of quality link building.......... However, if you do quality link building by using those keywords which are relevant to your websites.... After doing that you'll certain generate more traffic toward your website............. I think linkbuilding is an important source to generate traffic toward a particular website......

marketing3, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  6. vjlimochicago

vjlimochicago Peon

Best Answers:
    i think u can only build the thematic,relevant and quality type link building on ur project,it will improve ur project impression...

vjlimochicago, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  7. anetaweta

anetaweta Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a quick look at your site, it looks good.

Here are just a few suggestions for you;

Could you be overstuffing your keywords? (putting too many keywords in each page?)
    Also I agree with r3dt@arget - backlinking to unrelated sites is not going to help much with rankings in Google
    Could it also be that there could be more content - I see a lot of images which I understand, because its a gaming site. But could you perhaps put a couple of longer version game reviews for say your top 10 (its just google loves written content)? Have you also checked out your competition, the ones that are ranking on the 1st page of Google for your keyword. Put your keyword in google like this "gaming" and see the sites that are ranking check out their page rank (you can do this if you have firefox, there's an additional download to check page ranks on sites) PM me if you want the information. Its important to know who you are trying to overtake in Google. Have they been there forever?......do they have a really high page rank?.......what keywords are they using in addition to the one you searched for? what are they doing that your not? Its important to know this, so you can replicate it and do it better. I also noticed that when I hovered over your images there wasn't any alt text? Google, 'alternative text' and maybe remedy this. One other thing, I would suggest using a plugin on your site (is it a wordpress site?) If so use a SEO plugin to help cover all your basis. I'll suggest one that I've used before which is 'Wordpress SEO by Yoast'. Good luck to you :)

anetaweta, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  8. freshgreenlove

freshgreenlove Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    try link building just with similiar your content and try shared in many social network :)

freshgreenlove, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  9. Vladimir Brown

Vladimir Brown Active Member

Best Answers:
    batman4444, use the Google Adwords for matching good keywords. May be your keywords are not popular.

Vladimir Brown, Jun 17, 2012 IP
  10. Dimpy93

Dimpy93 Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, note your keywords. Find the traffic for your keywords, competition for those and then work more on them. Do SEO for the keywords to get them in traffic.

Do article submission, article creation, forum posting, social bookmarking for your keywords.

To make your keywords having in Google ranking, Do Social Media Optimization.

You have option of On-page optimization too.

And the most important thing is promotion of your website on Social Networking Sites.

Dimpy93, Jun 18, 2012 IP