1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5 Tips to Be Paid More as a Copywriter

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by MarTh-, May 15, 2012.

Hey guys, I've been writing and copywriting successfully hundreds of articles for months now for rates up to $0.05/word and would like to share what's worked well for me. Here's 5 tips that have worked well for me:
    1) Efficiency: This one comes first because it's the most obvious, if you can type 90-130 WPM you're going be making a lot more than someone writing 35-50 WPM. If you have effective spell check, Copyscape like software & keyword density check plowing through articles can be a breeze.

2) Know your writing style: Whether it's painting a story, showing off the facts about a product in a positive way or whatever your best writing style is, make it a point to understand it and focus on perfecting it.

3) Understand the product: Research the field and the product you will be copywriting for. The better you understand your product and the field it is in, the more effective your article will be.

4) Understand the audience: Understanding the audience is probably the most important tip. Why is your audience at the site? For example if you're making copy for a low-cost jewelry site, the main emphasis on your product article should be mentioning just how cost effective and quality the jewelry is compared to retail.

5) Understand the buyer: Are you working directly with a site or through a content broker? Offline or Online? Instead of throwing out your low rate ask more about what the buyer wants and maybe you can get some clues on how to be most effective. Generally working directly with the site owner will give you a better rate. And if you can scale at least part of your work into offline local ventures you're likely going to have a better rate too.

MarTh-, May 15, 2012 IP
  2. mukulkumarsharma

mukulkumarsharma Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing new but a good reminder to stay on track... Thanks :)

mukulkumarsharma, May 15, 2012 IP
  3. JohnRock

JohnRock Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks allot! These need to be read everyday by those that are in the feild.

JohnRock, May 16, 2012 IP
  4. Moumita RC

Moumita RC Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A good cover letter is a must when you apply as rest is loaded with many

Moumita RC, May 17, 2012 IP
  5. rodion.rudolf

rodion.rudolf Active Member

Best Answers:
    nice info to improve my writing skill..

rodion.rudolf, May 17, 2012 IP
  6. oandw

oandw Peon

Best Answers:
    Awesome tips!

You really nailed it because all of the things you mentioned are very important. The one thing I would like to add that is extremely important and will definitely boost your earnings will be the turn around time. You want to make sure you meet the datelines and even better when you can try to submit it before the dateline.

Your employer will appreciate it this a ton and will lean more on giving you either a raise or a bonus since you put in the extra effort to submit the assignment before the dateline. Of course this does not mean to rush the process of writing as you still need to provide the person with a quality article but always keep the dateline in mind and be responsible. :cool:

Excellent post!

oandw, May 17, 2012 IP
  7. serialink

serialink Member

Best Answers:
    I believe writers who value their craft increase their odds of getting paid more. Writers who waste time churning out content for lower prices may miss out on higher paying gigs simply because they are too busy. I know this because I've been in this position. Set a realistic income goal and strive to meet that goal. Value your work!

serialink, May 17, 2012 IP
  8. pokari

pokari Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    THANKS alot for the tips..

i would try to improve my WPM then.. ;)

pokari, May 23, 2012 IP
  9. Artisan

Artisan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is yet another useful hint for more payment.

Get paid in advance!

Do not waste your time
    on too smart people.

Artisan, May 24, 2012 IP
  10. WriteOne4U

WriteOne4U Peon

Best Answers:
    I was a bit shocked to read "successful" and "0.05 cents a word" in the same post. I am not slamming, but these seem like dismal rates to me. Type faster????How about, "Find higher paying clients?" I recently came back to freelance writing after taking a sabbatical of two years. The rates on most job boards are...terrible, they've bottomed out. And content farms abound. Marth, your ideas are good. I'd like to add a couple more. 1. Develop expertise in a niche. 2. Go off the job boards to find clients. Use good Internet marketing strategies. 3. Raise rates. I do wish you the very best.

WriteOne4U, May 24, 2012 IP
  11. willM

willM Peon

Best Answers:
    Hone your craft. And then go for high paying clients. But unfortunately most copywriters settle for low paying jobs.

willM, May 31, 2012 IP
  12. Muisings Freelance Contne

Muisings Freelance Contne Member

Best Answers:
    Cool tips, asides from loving to write most of us want to make mo' money, mo' money!

13. tanvirahmedcse

tanvirahmedcse Peon

Best Answers:
    You typing speed must be first to get more paid .thanks.

tanvirahmedcse, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  14. NathanielFletcher

NathanielFletcher Peon

Best Answers:
    This can surely work as a quick reminder for all the writers before they get to the day's work! :)

NathanielFletcher, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  15. Justin Mandel

Justin Mandel Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Good post, but article writing is not "copywriting" ;)

Justin Mandel, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  16. Junie

Junie Peon

Best Answers:
    Those are excellent tips and it will do us all good to follow them. These aren't especially new and most of it is just work-commonsense for most of us. :)

Someone above mentioned that it's even better if we deliver it before the deadline - while that is very good to earn some brownie points from the client, some clients can feel we didn't do enough work to deserve the agreed rate. For example, last year I was hired to write 1500 word article on a subject that I was really familiar with and about something I personally enjoyed very much, so I finished it around half an hour. The agreed price was $75, but since I finished it too quick the client was not willing to pay me more than $25. So just a warning, there are people who will take your enthusiasm and efficiency for granted.

Junie, Jun 9, 2012 IP
  17. MoreThanWords

MoreThanWords Peon

Best Answers:
    thank god someone with common sense :)

MoreThanWords, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  18. MrJohn

MrJohn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is amazing how many people still skip the basics and expect to have a writing career. I really like number 4, which is usually the one that I focus on the most. Excellent tips Marth, keep up the good work!

MrJohn, Jun 28, 2012 IP
  19. dom19

dom19 Active Member

Best Answers:
    here is more tips

1. Show your best work
    2. Show the kind of work you want to do.
    3. Experiment broadly
    4. Invest in your own development.

dom19, Jun 28, 2012 IP
  20. kinnethharring

kinnethharring Peon

Best Answers:
    Something very common and I think most of the writers already knows that but anyway thank you for the kindly reminder.

kinnethharring, Jun 29, 2012 IP