1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice on hiring a freelance web developer

Discussion in 'General Business' started by omgcats, May 27, 2012.

I've never dealt with hiring a freelancer before and I'm looking for some advice on how to protect myself from getting screwed over financially as well as how to protect my ideas.

I'm planning on posting the project on freelancer.com and I'm thinking that the project description should just outline the technical side and I should not reveal the niche or include my mockups of the site until after they sign an NDA. I am a bit concerned though that I won't get the best responses if I'm not clear about the project from the start.

I'm also a bit confused about how to pick the best person for the job, especially if there is a wide range of prices. I know I can ask to see their work on similar projects, but I'm not a programmer so I don't know how to judge if what they are doing is good code. I guess I just look at the front end.

What sort of contracts do I have them sign? Is there some sort of standard agreement for guaranteeing completion of the work? Also I know that I should set up payment thresholds, but I'm not quite sure how to divide it up since it's just one project.

omgcats, May 27, 2012 IP
  2. carol.prime

carol.prime Active Member

Best Answers:
    Outsourcing is a business that trust is the first requirement. Business won't grow if you haven't trusted the company that you're working with. This business has it pros and cons, you just need to find the right company, ask for samples and client references so you can decide. There are lots of outsourcing providers who pretend to be the best, that's why you need to be careful and look for the reputable ones.

I suggest to hire a Staff leasing company instead of a freelancer. because leased staff are permanent workers of a company and are easy to reach in case you need them. Freelancers do not have employers so they do as they please and sometimes cannot be contacted for various reasons.

If you have some questions, do not hesitate to contact us. Please see my sig for more information.

carol.prime, May 31, 2012 IP
  3. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would find someone that one of your friends refers you to and has had success with rather than finding someone randomly on the net.

MarTh-, May 31, 2012 IP
  4. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hire someone that can provide proof of quality work and former related experience. Consult with them first and NEVER hire someone who has communication problems (ie. slow to respond... language barrier..)

NetStar, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  5. gregman

gregman Peon

Best Answers:
    stick to sites like freelancer.com or odesk and search for freelancers with great feedbacks, avoid newbies.thanks

gregman, Jun 2, 2012 IP
  6. Jeffwilliams

Jeffwilliams Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out weblance.com. They will be live in a few weeks and offer the safest way to do business

Jeffwilliams, Jun 2, 2012 IP
  7. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This is probably the best was to go. When hiring on freelance.com or other platforms make sure never to pick the cheapest ones as quality is something that doesn't come for free (even though most people expect it to be that way). For the project description I think you will have to give a brief outline of what has to be done as the pricing will be based on the workload for it. So probably the price could change after you signed the NDA with them and told them everything you are planning.

Sensei.Design, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  8. empservices

empservices Peon

Best Answers:
    If possible and you are very parandoid and have enough technical knowledge, you could outsource parts of the project and then put it together yourself.

eg: a 5 page website with each page performing an individual task, separate they are nothing special, together they make your super-site. You get 5 people to code each page and you put it together.

As I said this wpould require technical knowledge on your side.

Being a coder myself, I have before outsourced a few front end pages and CSS coding ( I really hate UI ) and all the backend stuff I wrote myself. It was worth the money and let me concentrate on the stuff I knew best.

empservices, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  9. sieghart

sieghart Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Before you start looking for someone to hire I advise you the best thing you should do first is to ask referrals from friends, family and colleagues if they know any. A good referral can reduce the risk of hiring someone who is not capable for the job. When hiring the best thing you should do is to TEST THEM FIRST even you got them from a credible site like freelancer.com. It can help you see the potential of the person to do actual tasks, which cannot be seen through interview and resume only.

Try to check this site first before hiring, it discusses some hiring mistakes that could serve as guide on what to avoid when hiring freelance workers.

sieghart, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  10. Goougle

Goougle Peon

Best Answers:
    Try oDesk they have bunch of freelancers in there, i got mine outsourced from great and hardworking outsource from Philippines.

Goougle, Jul 9, 2012 IP