1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do Not Use Gmail For SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Traditione, May 31, 2012.

Do not use Gmail for creating accounts anywhere.
    Do not use Gmail to discuss SEO or IM.
    Do not use Gmail to deliver reports.
    Do not use Gmail in affiliate marketing in any regard.
    Do not deliver reports to Gmail accounts.
    Do not publicly post your Gmail accounts.
    Do not post any links on any site with Gmail as your email.
    Do not use Gmail for financial transactions.
    Do not make Gmail your primary business email.
    Do not save anything critical to your business on Gmail.

Use Gmail for very light personal email.
    Use Gmail for registering on harmless, fun sites.
    Use Gmail to access Google products if you MUST, such as Adwords. (I never log into Youtube or anything).

Traditione, May 31, 2012 IP
  2. abhinavkumar123

abhinavkumar123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very new to me, why should not we use Gmail for seo, can you explain me in detail about???

abhinavkumar123, May 31, 2012 IP
  3. blogzer

blogzer Peon

Best Answers:
    can you explain why? i only knew this just for now.

blogzer, May 31, 2012 IP
  4. Traditione

Traditione Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google reads everything on Gmail, obviously.

They even have a private index for every email in Gmail.

If you have personal or damning info in your emails that can sabotage your site, it would be foolish to leave that information in the hands of the people that can sabotage your site.

Imagine if all of a sudden Google decides to hate social bookmarking, and you purchased a social bookmarking service.
    They look at the email, find your site, and penalize you.

And who knows, there might even be possible legal action. Google might not freely give your information out to others, but they certainly doublecheck and cross reference their own archives.

So many SEO providers and clients have been ruined by using Gmail. So much of their work has gone down the drain.

I won't even respond to an email sent to me from Gmail in regards to SEO, and certainly won't send any from a Gmail account.

Traditione, May 31, 2012 IP
  5. seosolutions84

seosolutions84 Member

Best Answers:
    I'm doing the same just after penguin update and not using google in any way & also prefers the same to others also.

seosolutions84, May 31, 2012 IP
  6. Maximlis

Maximlis Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the user Gmail to receive mails and sending mails. I have never heard about this. Form next time i will be concerned about it.

Maximlis, May 31, 2012 IP
  7. customautoblogs

customautoblogs Member

Best Answers:
    There is no need to get paranoid, I don't think Google is that unethical to access emails. They can track users who use multiple Gmail accounts after IP and cookies, flash cookies as well, if you use the Icognito feature from Chrome or the Private Browsing feature from FF, delete flash cookies with the BetterPrivacy addon you should be safe.

customautoblogs, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  8. getfiles

getfiles Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think you are wrong, Google guys can access our mails but they can't. Privacy policy are designed for it.

getfiles, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  9. wastrox

wastrox Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Are you sure? How about Google Privacy statement. I think gmail and other Google services have their own privacy and Google need permission from you to grand the privacy before they stealing data. just my opinion :D

wastrox, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  10. Traditione

Best Answers:
    Unethical to check email? They are obligated by law to do that. Multiple people have gotten in trouble due to that.

Check other forums and talk to other IMers if you don't believe me.

Google is well within their rights to make sure no one is screwing their search engine over. Isn't it obvious they'd do this?

Dude, if you use Chrome, you are giving Google insane amounts of information about your browsing habits.

lol customautoblogs, I'm not being paranoid: You are giving your information to Google.

Remember: When a service is free, YOU are what is being sold.

Why do you think the ads in your email are targeted? Why do you think adsense shows both ads related to the site and to your browsing habbits?

Private Browsing and Incognito does nothing.

Also: lol at privacy policy. "Do No Evil" and all that.

Flash cookies and tracking your IP doesn't matter, what matters are the emails they have archived with your identifying information.
    The privacy steps that are usually taken are not what are circumvented to track you; it's the stuff you willingly post (aka facebook privacy for an analogy)

Traditione, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  11. wastrox

wastrox Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes very make sense for me, but right now there is no valid data to prove this problem.

wastrox, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  12. Traditione

Best Answers:
    No valid proof?

Then by all means, continue to expose your techniques and where you put backlinks when you send or receive SEO reports.

I'm sure Google will just step aside and accept you ruining their organic and paid search results, because there's no proof they do otherwise (except tons of people on actual IM and SEO forums who have been hit by penalties because of this and have been contacted by Google to C&D).

By all means, continue to give as much information about yourself as you can to a single company. Also, make sure to always post where you are and what you're doing on Facebook. And Tweet everywhere you go so they can GEOIP trace you.

13. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Have you experienced it?
    Some of my friends websites got hit by this.
    They were great fans of gmail, now hating Gmail.

pupul, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  14. wastrox

wastrox Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very terrible if Google really do that. I will be careful using gmail now. btw thanks

wastrox, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  15. customautoblogs

customautoblogs Member

Best Answers:
    If Google shows you ads in Gmail doesn't mean that Google employees are reading your emails. Adsense is Javascript based and Javascript is client side not server side. They are giving informations to the law only in special circumstances not on a day to day basis.
    Google uses automation very much and is not like they have an army of employees dead set to search your emails, to track you and to destroy your websites, your business if you dare to have some financial transactions.

customautoblogs, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  16. wordpecker

wordpecker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree what you people are talking about.I never thought much about all these but now onwards I will take care of.Thank for reminding.

wordpecker, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  17. seowebtriangle

seowebtriangle Member

Best Answers:
    yes,

if you build major link for your web page then you need Domain Mail Address linke

seowebtriangle, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  18. Traditione

Best Answers:
    You can absolutely use a link @yourdomainname.com like you said, but I suggest only using that when you have established a client.

Until then, when you're just discussing light things such as your plan and procedure, I suggest using any ol' free email.
    I suggest starting with free email so people don't know your domain immediately (It is foolish to openly publicize your SEO website in the same way it's silly to throw your Gmail around when working on SEO).

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to register a domain and get an email service for it and just use it for email.

19. LeoIndia

LeoIndia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have been using gmail for many years now i will take care of. Thanks for caring seo professionls.

LeoIndia, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  20. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Says who? You?

C'mon. With over 350 MILLIONS Gmail accounts and BILLIONS of emails received daily I guarantee you that Google does NOT have a 40 story building with thousands of "professional" email readers violating your privacy... Get real!

NetStar, Jun 1, 2012 IP