1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to make facebook like social network site

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by sabahat, May 15, 2012.

hello all,
    I am a student and learning digital stuff. My project is to build Facebook like social network site. I need ur help guys. I can design static websites easily. but for this project I have no clue where to start. considering my non much technical knowledge, would you recommend me something to start and tutorial resource.

P.S I cant use socialgo, spruz build social communities drag and drop sort of sites as per my project condition.

looking forward to ur reply

sabahat, May 15, 2012 IP
  2. MrKeh

MrKeh Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have no clue where to start..and not much technical knowlege..then i think you will have a hard time getting started. Creating a social media clone will require knowledge of PHP and MySQL at the very least. If your really dedciated to this then I would suggest learning PHP coding.

MrKeh, May 15, 2012 IP
  3. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try the instagram way...

Choose a mini-niche of the social aspect and focus on that!

giorgioarmani, May 15, 2012 IP
  4. sabahat

sabahat Member

Best Answers:
    well i did not get formal education in this area so sometimes i feel problem in these languages though i have used php and sql so not having formal training i dont know application of php in regards to social network. i just need some guidance rest i will handle
    therefore taking it forward, i was wandering, Cant i find some free open source sort of tool through which i could develop the social network?

sabahat, May 15, 2012 IP
  5. kulik

kulik Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.elgg.org/ is one

kulik, May 15, 2012 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You can buy a software, hire someone to install it and off you go. Keep in mind those babies take a lot of bandwidth if you happen to grow as a social nw site.

qwikad.com, May 15, 2012 IP
  7. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its gonna take you years to learn those skills and then build it.

here is a quick list anyways:
    server language like php, c# etc
    database like mySql, ms sql etc
    html
    css
    javascript
    jquery
    software design

webcosmo, May 15, 2012 IP
  8. ds9n

ds9n Peon

Best Answers:
    elgg is best. You can try also Pligg and oxwall. These are all open source.

ds9n, May 17, 2012 IP
  9. StevenPayales

StevenPayales Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Create if from scratch. Learn the trends and hype in most social media so that you can think of your own also.. Think of something that will match against the LIKE button or the FOLLOW button. Something that will match the status in facebook. There's no divorced in FB stat.. no single but not available :)

StevenPayales, May 17, 2012 IP
  10. MarkElse101

MarkElse101 Peon

Best Answers:
    you could try Oxwall - Free & Open-source
    oxwall.org

MarkElse101, May 18, 2012 IP
  11. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are only just a few good social networking scripts around.
    Actually 3 well known and solid, they exist for many years already and have good support too and private forums.

phpFox - http://www.phpfox.com (the best of the 3 if you get the COMMUNITY version with all features)

Social Engine - http://www.socialengine.net

Jomsocial - http://www.jomsocial.com (this is a Joomla component, Joomla itself is free)

ilook, May 18, 2012 IP
  12. ketting00

ketting00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good idea. But what is it?

ketting00, May 20, 2012 IP
  13. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well said.

In 2003 we launched several social networking websites. Mainly during the picture rating era.... Now in 2012 only one site still stands with an active community but doesn't even produce 10% of the money (or even 5% of the traffic) it once did.

Social Networking websites from FaceBook to Myspace... even YouTube to Twitter have become so massive they basically shut down all social networking web sites that use to be popular. And with their support for "applications" it just doesn't make sense to start a new Social Networking website anymore.

So like giorgioarmani said... Choose a "mini-niche" and take advantage of your existing social networking websites.

NetStar, May 20, 2012 IP
  14. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Crap.
    Crap.
    And...crap.

If all he wants to do is make a cheesy social website for his friends or even a niche community site then those scripts are fine. But there's something that SCARES me about buying a pre-made script that ANYONE can purchase and become your EQUAL.

NetStar, May 20, 2012 IP
  15. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All crap?
    LOL!
    I guess your knowledge doesn't reach longer than your nose.

The scripts i've mentioned ARE rock solid scripts including multiserver technology to spread the load and content from your servers to keep sites running fast (it even includes Memcached).

The scripts by default are not unique but can be solved by hiring a great designer to make your site look unique and hiring a programmer to add unique features for your site.

Want a complete unique script?
    Ok think of a minimum budget of $10.000 to start with, instead of about $300 for a ready made package that you can customize completely.

If you have no clue what you're talking about, then simply :X

ilook, May 21, 2012 IP
  16. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have been programming since the late 90's. I think I know a thing or two.... You absolutely missed the point of my post. The above listed suggestions offer "solutions" to make a community that can easily be replicated. It isn't unique.

If your budget doesn't allow for unique development you are wasting your time by using cheap pre-made scripts. Any body can become your competitor with a beer budget over night...just like how you launched the web site.

NetStar, May 21, 2012 IP
  17. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like i said, by default the scripts are not unique.
    Of course not, these are ready made packages.
    You can re-design and add extra features yourself if you want.
    All 3 scripts i've mentioned do have 100% open source code (unencrypted).

What i said is that all 3 scripts i've mentioned are in business for multiple years, do have many clients and do have active forums.
    They are prepared to run large social networks (multi-server technology, Amazon S3, Memcached, MySQL replication, etc.)

I do share your opinion about budget, if you have no budget then you shouldn't even think of starting, as every John Doe can start the same within an hour.
    But if you can afford a good designer and add extra unique features then you're good to go for only a few thousand.
    (not that you have a chance to make a Fakebook killer... but ok.)

ilook, May 21, 2012 IP
  18. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am willing to bet that all 3 of those scripts primarily sell to customers with very little experience in web development. I'm also willing to bet there are no company running those scripts with over a hundred thousand members. I guarantee you the average member base of a website that uses those scripts probably range from 1 to a few hundred.

NetStar, May 21, 2012 IP
  19. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The official Linux website (linux.com) is running Jomsocial, Retailmenot (one of the biggest coupon websites) is running Social Engine.

You claim to be a programming expert, so why not download trials of these scripts, set it up all up (including multi-server technology, memcached, and MySQL Replication) then with for instance cURL you create a bot that stress test these scripts with simultaneous fake users to see how much load and how much simultaneous users the scripts can handle.

The point is... saying "Crap. Crap. And....Crap" really doesn't make sense, isn't true and isn't fair.

ilook, May 22, 2012 IP
  20. lonelygrit

lonelygrit Peon

Best Answers:
    Lets hide some guys can do this for you :)

lonelygrit, May 22, 2012 IP