1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google using their data on you to value links.

Discussion in 'Google' started by t-bo, Nov 17, 2006.

Hi all

I was wondering how much, if at all, you guys think google uses the data from sitemaps, analytics, adsence etc to determine that the sites all belong to one person.. and mainly if they use that data against their algo' in valuing the links between them.

Pretty much all of my sites are linked in someway, mostly one way/three way from my higher PR sites to others and a few reciprocals going on.. I dont want Google knowing that there is crafty linkage going on and using it against me :)

Im presuming that they dont use this data... but anyone have any opinions on this?

Cheers

t-bo, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  2. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's scary for me to think how much data google has on me.

Gmail
    adwords
    adsense
    sitemaps
    google checkout
    spreadsheets
    etc.

I use almost all thier services

oseymour, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  3. brainstormingin

brainstormingin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would be really scary. They will get to know all the small tricks :p

brainstormingin, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  4. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont foget, if you use Google to run searches and your signed into your account everything is recorded :eek:

t-bo if you dont want Google to see what you are up to with your sites do not use any of their services. You can be sure they using all that data to value your site to some degree but nobody outside of Google can say how they use the data.

cormac, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  5. Cyque

Cyque Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd bet they either are using that data or will be. They can probably also tell which sites you (or at the least your computer) visit the most (sites with analytics on them).

I will also bet that they know who has more than one google account based on the computer/IP they connect from, so tricking them that way will be useless. They should be able to also track what searches you perform as well as what sites you clicked on from those searches whether you are logged in or not. Once you login, they have the IP you connected from. Every search done from that IP could be crossed referenced with your account.

They will use the data to there advantage, as would anyone. It will be difficult to fool them.

Cyque, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  6. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    The know more about you than your Gov knows :eek:

:)

Mong, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  7. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a group of websites link every single one of them to every single one of them, don't bother with any of that three way linking business, this works a charm and it is a ligit technique just have a little box on every page of every one of your sites headed Our group of companies or something with links to all of your other sites!

Dave E, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  8. gatewayink

gatewayink Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been wondering whether to add analytics or not.

gatewayink, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  9. Seobiznezz

Seobiznezz Peon

Best Answers:
    I posted this about a year ago when site maps came out and people thought I was crazy.

Yes...they could do that. They could say "Ok, this person A owns and/or SEO's sites A-1 A-2 A-3". Do not count these inbound links.

Google is becoming out of control to the point of "anti trust".

I try to stay away from their monopoly whenever at all possible.

Thankfully Google analytics will never work exactly until they have Google hooked up to your house mailbox and address at home.

For my customers about 1/2 still order over the phone, money order or checking account. It is impossible for Google to track these conversions and that is why I wont sign up for analytics.

Can you imagine that. A Google tracking on your home mailbox to track incoming parcels, letters, etc. IF they pulled that off then Analytics would be actually worth getting. Scary times "1984" have you read the book?

Seobiznezz, Nov 17, 2006 IP
    Phynder likes this.
  10. guy123

guy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm actually reading it right now. It is very enlightening, and can be applied to today's events perfectly

However, I haven't been too concerned with Big G up to this point. I probably should be a little skeptical...but they've always seemed too nice not to trust. Hopefully Google doesn't become 1984's O'brien to webmasters.

guy123, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  11. RedCardinal

RedCardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    CustomizeGoogle plug-in for FF has some nice features to obfuscate Google's tracking of your activity.

Worth a look IMO.

But yes, the SE's are collecting massive amounts of data, and they aren't doing it for laughs...

RedCardinal, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  12. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    google knows eveythink on internet with its services and mostly with google toolbar

trichnosis, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  13. LucasMS

LucasMS Peon

Best Answers:
    to know if site A and site B are from the same person, they just see the domain whois ...

LucasMS, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  14. Seobiznezz

Seobiznezz Peon

Best Answers:
    This statement is partially wrong. When you do sitemaps and/or setup an account with Google they now know exactly all the sites you do SEO for. Not only the Whois info. The whois info is easy to manipulate. The SEO and marketing through Google is alot more difficult.

This is also the case if you buy adwords. They can easily figure out all the sites you are promoting.

Seobiznezz, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  15. Grokodile

Grokodile Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a very big difference between what data is theoretically available to them and what they are reasonably able to use, track or apply.

Seriously, most of the paranoia expressed above is not worth the time or effort of a company to exploit in any case.

Most of us need to realize that nobody cares who *you* are or what *you* are doing in any real sense. If you actually are doing something that interesting then you have other problems to deal with.

Grokodile, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  16. t-bo

t-bo Active Member

Best Answers:
    So there is no relay proof one way or another... I guess the paranoia is always going to creep in because theorectically they could be using all their data on us in an evil way.. even if they arnt :) I personaly wont be adding analytics too all/most of my sites as I had considered... just in case ;)

t-bo, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  17. Cutting Edge

Cutting Edge Guest

Best Answers:
    Google know everything, they bought out the Omega Group and are infact the secret rulers of the world lol:)

Google definately log every move you make that they can as all data is useful data as they say.

Cutting Edge, Nov 21, 2006 IP