1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cloaking Links

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by Nato76, Nov 17, 2006.

I don't know if the word cloaking is the right word for what I am trying to do but I am new to this. When posting in forums and blogs I don't want people to right click on my link (ex. mywebsite.com/myaffiliate) and show my affiliate link (http//chingo.xxxxx.hop.clickbank.net). If they right click I want it to show (ex. mywebsite.com/myaffiliate) but still go to the actual affiliate. I hope I explained this properly. What can I do to make this happen?

Nato76, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  2. drugoon

drugoon Guest

Best Answers:
    you can use a frame set on your website this is how cloaking works. Or you can use a header redirect in php

drugoon, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  3. Nato76

Nato76 Peon

Best Answers:
    What about in a forum?

Nato76, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  4. homebizdev

homebizdev Peon

Best Answers:
    There isn't any way to hide the text of the link on a forum or blog that you do not control.

If you want to hide it, you'll need to post a link to a site that you do control in the forums or blogs, and hide the link on your own site.

However, no matter what you do, it will remain obvious to anyone with experience that an affiliate link has been followed.

I suppose you could run the traffic to your site and reverse-proxy it to the affiliate link, but that is probably a more in-depth solution than you want to deal with, and may add latency to the browsing experience. It will also multiply your bandwidth consumption.

How badly do you need to hide links?

homebizdev, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  5. Nato76

Nato76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses so far. Looks like I am getting closer to finding out what I need to do. It's not very critical to hide the links but I would like to learn how to do this. I want to do exactly what this guy did. He put a link in a forum looking like it is his website but it directs you to an affiliate site. Here is the link he posted:

buynick.com/dropship.htm

Nato76, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  6. drugoon

drugoon Guest

Best Answers:
    well that's a redirect, but you have to own your own website and be able to make a html page. You can also use free services like notlong or tinyurl or shorturl that make your url smaller and hide the target url

drugoon, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  7. Nato76

Nato76 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have my own hosting and web sites. I can make an html page but don't know how to redirect. Where can I find out more info about this?

Nato76, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  8. drugoon

drugoon Guest

Best Answers:
    Try searching google for header redirect :D

Here is a simple redirect

<?php
    header("Location: http://the.target.url");
    ?>
    PHP:
    of course replace the.target.url with your aff link...

drugoon, Nov 17, 2006 IP
    eXe likes this.