1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it bad to install to many wordpress plugins?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by havmi, May 18, 2012.

Hi, i'm new to using wordpress and recently i incountered a problem with a plugin i installed and was using to add banner ads to my blog. After i installed the plugin it caused my photo gallary i included in my blog to stop working and it wasnt until i figured out that if i removed teh ad plugin the gallary started working again. so my quesion, is bad to install to many wordpress plugins and maybe what types of plugin should i avoid?

havmi, May 18, 2012 IP
  2. Staci Lynn

Staci Lynn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Too many plugins can seriously slow down the load time of your site. Some can cause conflicts with other plugins, while others can leave security leaks.
    I would only use the ones you really need and that are updated regularly to be compatible with WP updates.

Staci Lynn, May 18, 2012 IP
  3. mallspice

mallspice Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ofcourse yes. But some plugins are essential for a WP Blog. So make it as priority.

mallspice, May 19, 2012 IP
  4. seafrontsteve

seafrontsteve Peon

Best Answers:
    Each visitor to a wordpress site (even one using no extra widgets or plugins) requires access to your SQL database - placing a much higher burden on server reources than simple HTML pages.
    If you use a shared server, your hosting company will probably monitor how many concurrent SEO database acccesses your visitors use - too many and they will push you to start using VPS or your own server.
    This is much more of a problem than how many widgets or plugins you use - but of course that depends on what the plugins do!
    So unfortunately the answer is how long is a piece of string?
    You can have 50 plugins using less server resources than one that that tries to do far too much.

Another consideration is when plugins work.
    For example you may only use a data backup plugin once a week.
    When it's working, it can hog lots of resources - but doing this for 30 seconds a week is much less of a problem than a plugin working constantly in the background.

Unfortunately the advent of rapid development tools means that lots of people now create software, such as plugins, with no real understanding of the consequnces of some of the code they write.

seafrontsteve, May 19, 2012 IP
  5. Preston67

Preston67 Peon

Best Answers:
    there are a few essential plugins that can considerably optimize any website, but using too many can slow down your site. Plus, they are not all secure and properly updated, you never know what security flaws might be included in their code.

Preston67, May 25, 2012 IP
  6. sooryaglare

sooryaglare Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yes, only install the ones you need most. Otherwise it will slow down your website due to excessive processing and sql queries.

sooryaglare, May 25, 2012 IP
  7. kyriousrobert

kyriousrobert Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree with you i only install plugins coming from reputable developer there are some plugins that can do more harm than good to your blog

kyriousrobert, May 25, 2012 IP
  8. anamikasingh

anamikasingh Member

Best Answers:
    Only necessary plugins should be installed for word press. If you will install more plugins then Google will ban.

anamikasingh, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  9. Imposter

Imposter Peon

Best Answers:
    Please stop spreading myths. Google does not "ban" anyone for this.

Imposter, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  10. cbulen

cbulen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    generally, more plugins will slow down your site but it depends on the plugins. There is a plugin (sic) that can help you determine which plugins slow your site down (you can always get rid of this plugin after you use it). Its called P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler)

cbulen, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  11. robaid

robaid Member

Best Answers:
    Depends how the plugin was written and what it does. In general, the less the better, but you have the balance user experience with the speed.

robaid, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  12. article expert

article expert Peon

Best Answers:
    Too many plugin will really slow down your loading speed of your blog .

article expert, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  13. blogzer

blogzer Peon

Best Answers:
    just install plugin that you really need. avoid too much plugin cause it will affect your site performance.

blogzer, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  14. havmi

havmi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thank you everyone for the great advise, I do have to share this story, I took note when I created a WP site the first time after I posted this question and since i have made several more WP sites.. the last one though I ran into a real big load problem,. took me a while to figure out why and finally I remembered the advice I received here, when I eliminated at plugin it resolved the problem..

I figured I come back here and post the store.. :) thanks again everyone for the replies.

havmi, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  15. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do research and only install reputable plugins. Bad ones can crash ur whole site. Even if they're good plugins, keep the number minimal, too many will bloat your site and slow it down :)

ninjamtlt1, Dec 6, 2012 IP