1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The way to reduce electric consumption for household appliances

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MatureMan27, May 8, 2012.

I have faced high electricity bill for my house. I should find a solution to reduce it. Is there anyone know how to reduce the electricity loss of household appliances (AC, Iron, Refrigerator) ?:confused:

MatureMan27, May 8, 2012 IP
  2. NewHDD-Blog

NewHDD-Blog Member

Best Answers:
    i think you can turn off after use it...
    and buy household appliances with low consumption energy...

NewHDD-Blog, May 10, 2012 IP
  3. seafrontsteve

seafrontsteve Peon

Best Answers:
    Some of the biggest energy and $ eaters of electricity are water heaters.
    Using a kettle that heats and dispenses water a cup at a time should pay for itself in a few months.
    If you have a hot water tank then reducing thermostat temperature settings saves $$$
    However your hot water is supplied, reducing the temperature produces significant savings.
    Solar panels for hot water provide a good return on investment - and just involve plumbing, so no complicated electrics to go wrong.

Refrigerators and freezers use less power - but they are on all the time.
    So limiting the time you keep doors open and making sure you have the latest energy efficient models can also save lots of $

seafrontsteve, May 10, 2012 IP
  4. MatureMan27

MatureMan27 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Seafrontsteve,
    Refrigerators and room ACs are usually on most of the time indeed, so it is rather difficult to cut the consumption significantly. do you believe that by installing some capacitor bank in front of the electric inlet can increase the cos 0 so it can reduce the losses?

MatureMan27, May 13, 2012 IP
  5. josefaryan

josefaryan Member

Best Answers:
    Use the things which are electricity efficient things. In India there will be a rating for every electronic things (AC, refrigerators etc). If we have 3+ stars out of 5 then they are power efficient things which can help in reducing the power bills.

josefaryan, May 14, 2012 IP
  6. seafrontsteve

seafrontsteve Peon

Best Answers:
    Efficiency ratings of electrical appliances in Europe are assigned letters A, B C etc with suffixes for A+, A++ etc.
    Annual electrical consumption of an A++ refrigerator will be very much less than half that of one with a C rating.
    So replacing an old inefficient C rated refrigerator or freezer with the most efficient A+++ model can pay for itself from savings in electricity costs within a year or two - well worth it for appliances with typically a 20 year life.

I shouldn't even think about power factor correction for domestic appliances - a complete waste of effort and $
    What may be cost effective is replacing controls for motors that only switch on or off with variable speed drives.
    Power consumption v speed for things like fans and compressors is a cube law - so changing from running at 100% speed for 50% of the time to 50% speed 100% of the time can theroetiaclly save you 75% energy consumption.
    You do have cost, complexity and losses of the variable speed drive (and typically lots of high frequency electrical noise on your supply lines that can interfere with other sensitive electronics) as downside.
    So calculating overall savings is quite difficult - but I would assume the life of a variable speed drive used continuously to be 5 years, if you are working out any savings.
    It is, of course, easier to make savings comparisons if suppliers are willing to provide insurance or service contracts at guaranteed costs.

seafrontsteve, May 18, 2012 IP
  7. MatureMan27

MatureMan27 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the response. good for my consideration in selecting the electric household.

MatureMan27, May 18, 2012 IP
  8. khai373

khai373 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unplug stuff that you're not using, TV that "switched off" is just putting them into sleep, which will use electric.

khai373, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  9. pjpsims

pjpsims Member

Best Answers:
    My electric company includes some energy saving tips on their billing statement so I have memorized some of them. Here they are:
    1. Switch off and unplug unnecessary lights or appliances.
    2. Use compact fluorescent lamps since they consume much less energy than other bulbs.
    3. Defrost your refrigerator regularly.
    4. Use flat bottom fan with tight covers on your electric stove, round bottom pans result in waste of energy.
    5. When buying air-conditioning unit make sure to select Energy Efficiency Rating or EER of 9.5 and above.

pjpsims, Aug 1, 2012 IP