1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does AdWords make sense to sell a $27 product?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by aab1, May 6, 2012.

I haven't been having much luck with AdWords, so far out of over 32 clicks I got no purchases, and maybe only 1-2 downloads of the free trial of the software I sell. But I was thinking, even if I got a 1% buy rate, it costs me over $1 a click, so at 1% it would cost me over $100 for one $27 sale. While I do have additional add on services for the software that can generate ongoing payments it still seems like its really not worth it for low value items.

Is AdWords only good for items with $100+ profit margins? If so, what would be a better alternative for advertising a $27 product (almost all of which is profit since it's for a download)?

Thanks

aab1, May 6, 2012 IP
  2. aab1

aab1 Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Aren't those coupons only valid on new accounts?

aab1, May 8, 2012 IP
  3. BigFish44

BigFish44 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    no you just have to calculate your cpc and your conversion rate and know how much you are willing to spend for a conversion. that will tell you your bid. So say you are willing to pay $20 for a conversion and your conversion rate is 10%... then you can afford to pay $2 per click and be profitable. it is just a matter of honing in on a low enough bid to be profitable

BigFish44, May 8, 2012 IP
  4. BigFish44

BigFish44 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    btw very high conversion rates are very possible... maybe you should invest more of your time into increasing conversion rate. How do you increase conversion rate? You give people exactly what they're looking for! It's as simple as that!

BigFish44, May 8, 2012 IP
  5. aab1

aab1 Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but what are the consequences of lowering my bid? Will my ad just appear less often or less high? Will I still reach my budget in clicks if both the bid is lower and the ad is shown less? Thanks

aab1, May 8, 2012 IP
  6. PoBoy

PoBoy Guest

Best Answers:
    The consequences are the ad appearing further down the list of ads which naturally leads to less clicks, but not guaranteed. That's sort of influenced by your ad copy.
    You need to optimize your campaign to find the sweet spot between click-throughs and cpc.

PoBoy, May 8, 2012 IP
  7. TizzyTazzy

TizzyTazzy Peon

Best Answers:
    PPC ads are very hard to make money from, and you should have a high investment and great marketing skills.

TizzyTazzy, May 8, 2012 IP
  8. imfusa

imfusa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try focusing on conversion, maybe you need a re-deisgn.

imfusa, May 10, 2012 IP
  9. brickman4real

brickman4real Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The most important thing is know how much you ready to spend,Have a targeted offer,Creat a landing page that have call to action.

brickman4real, May 10, 2012 IP
  10. samspam

samspam Peon

Best Answers:
    If you know what you're doing, it's definitely worth it. As long as you're making a profit, it's worth it, no? Even at small margins, say your profit is only $2 per sold product (you're paying $25 in ppc costs for 1 conversion), besides tweaking and optimizing, I'd put a ton of money in it. See, if you spend $2500, but make $2700, it's still a $200 profit. Not the best profit margin, but it's a profit. That's how you make the big money, by spending big money. Spend $25k/day, and make $27k/day, and you're profiting $2k per day. Now it starts getting fun :)

samspam, May 10, 2012 IP
  11. JasonNicholas03

JasonNicholas03 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had good luck in the past selling a $37 item with adwords. It made me about $1,600 per month before I sold the site.

Perhaps you could squeeze $10 more dollars by adding something of value to your offer. It will really come down to your sales process and how effective it is.

Andrew

JasonNicholas03, May 10, 2012 IP
  12. zozja

zozja Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd personally like to see a higher price point than $27. But that doesn't mean it wont work. You can only find that out by testing it.

I agree with Jason in that it really will come down to your sales efforts and how good they are.

zozja

zozja, May 10, 2012 IP
  13. gt4t

gt4t Active Member

Best Answers:
    Adwords can be good for any priced products, it just depends on the price of your clicks and conversion costs.

First you need to compile a comprehensive list of keywords then make adverts to suit those keywords finally make different landing pages to suit each of your keywords/adgroups.

You may have to stay away from expensive keywords but you will find some keywords that will work at a reasonable price.

Quality score is very important and is all dependent on the above plus a decent bid price.

gt4t, May 12, 2012 IP
  14. zerocoolflo

zerocoolflo Peon

Best Answers:
    I advise you to not go down the route with 100$ investment because PPC requires massive budgets

zerocoolflo, May 12, 2012 IP
  15. TrafficAngels

TrafficAngels Peon

Best Answers:
    This. In my personal experience, every $200 spent on Adwords campaigns only nets me about $100 back, which ultimately is a poor investment.

TrafficAngels, May 14, 2012 IP
  16. vimier

vimier Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends, when you quit advertising, are you still getting views on your site or not? If it is not making your site more prone to sell and you are losing money, it sounds like a market you should leave.

vimier, May 14, 2012 IP
  17. vimier

vimier Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that you ad is shown lower down on the list, depending how many links are shown.

vimier, May 14, 2012 IP
  18. wtg

wtg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    have you tried adwords display network ? CPC is much lower and an optimized ad can give you much more than the search network which is getting tough day by day.

it does not work with all products but it works for most of them. Think on it

wtg, May 15, 2012 IP
  19. kbtalent

kbtalent Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd increase the price of your product if you think it's worth it. Additionally, try increasing the conversation rate on your page. Why aren't people buying the software? If they arrived at your site they are obviously looking for that kind of software. You need to find out where they leave your site and figure out how to keep them on. You can use different tracking platforms for this.

kbtalent, May 16, 2012 IP
  20. AllenTrusts

AllenTrusts Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on so many variables. Competition, market, landing page, ad, etc. Then the ability to add ad-ons to the sale. Return sales (ie consumables). Then, like other readers have pointed out, depends on how efficient you are at lowering your costs. CPC, shipping, etc.

Keep us posted though.

AllenTrusts, May 16, 2012 IP