1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does The Google Penguin Update Begin The Birth of Negative SEO

Discussion in 'Google' started by dynamicsoul, Apr 30, 2012.

Because of a letter to Google I seen posted by one of the moderators on the forums at seochat.com .. it sparked some thoughts for me..

He points out that the current Penguin update downgrades sites for over optimizing.. for backlinks from spammy neighbourhoods, and for repetative keyword stuffing in links and on webistes pages..

So with that in mind, he also points out that any underground SEO tactics now will become more and more easy to implement by effectively "shooting down" the competitors above you in the serps.. by spamming links to their sites from blog link networks, creating spammy duplicate blogs loaded with keyword links etc and other tactics..

Do you think Google has a plan for honest webmasters in situations like this? Do you think this sort of thing will gain momentum if Google doesn't have a plan for detecting this, or it rises in popularity?

Thoughts are welcome.. !!!...

dynamicsoul, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  2. ron.ray

ron.ray Peon

Best Answers:
    thought of it myself lately, yes i believe too it's the beginning of a new era. we're about to see webmasters "badly promoting" their competitors. If google won't find a quick solutions he will be hardly damaged since the serps won't reflect anything real...

ron.ray, May 1, 2012 IP
  3. josefaryan

josefaryan Member

Best Answers:
    Everything is good and knowing the updates is more good but what i don't understand is how people knows the updates from Google (even though it is not publicly announced either in the official google blogs or support sites), could any one answer to this question?

josefaryan, May 1, 2012 IP
  4. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its been publically announced and you don't have to look very hard to find dozens upon dozens of articles that link to the Google post.

RumpledElf, May 1, 2012 IP
  5. dudeseo

dudeseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I from honestly from my side think that negative seo can be done and so at a great extent.

dudeseo, May 2, 2012 IP
  6. dhana_space2

dhana_space2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    anyone succeeded in doing negative SEO? if yes, can u share some data.

dhana_space2, May 2, 2012 IP
  7. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It can be done and is being done

cosmonaut, May 2, 2012 IP
  8. WeCreateCash

WeCreateCash Member

Best Answers:
    Yes there was an article not too long ago where an experiment was done to see if it was possible, by using negative seo, to drop the ranking of a competitor site. The people who ran the experiment were successful. So the whole thing is one big mess now as G won't be able to tell who the real spammers are. With the newest update, this will be the prime service offered by SEO companies. I've been waiting to here how G is going to deal with this, but so far I've heard nothing.

I'll try and find that article and edit this with a link to it.

WeCreateCash, May 2, 2012 IP
  9. shalycriston

shalycriston Banned

Best Answers:
    When It was announced by Google, anyone have information regarding it?

shalycriston, May 4, 2012 IP
  10. war_machine

war_machine Active Member

Best Answers:
    The threat of negative SEO is very real, but the likelihood of it becoming a prevalent practice is minimal. It's a big gamble, and most website owners will understand that it is in their best interest to build up their own website, rather that sneakily destroy others.

war_machine, May 9, 2012 IP
  11. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would do that but the many competitors I have purchase the keyword rankings from google so they will not be de-ranked anyway.

Laceygirl, May 9, 2012 IP
  12. shhassannaseer

shhassannaseer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now panda is crushed by the new SEO techniques....Like Link Diversity etc

shhassannaseer, May 9, 2012 IP
  13. lapseo

lapseo Member

Best Answers:
    Negative SEO has always been possible but penguin has made it even easier for unethical SEO to harm their competitors.

lapseo, May 10, 2012 IP
  14. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure glad my website is nonprofit, therefore not a target of other webmasters' negative SEO. I accept no ads, and my web income is deliberately zero, so they have no temptation to try to go "negative" on me in an attempt to steal a piece of my site's "action".

Jim4767, May 10, 2012 IP
  15. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not even any revenue huh. Well, that's noble considering wikipedia is non-profit and the guy makes millions a month from it.

Laceygirl, May 10, 2012 IP
  16. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google has made people paranoid about their backlinks! New (unethical) business: blast crappy links at random websites, charge $$ to remove them...)

simey, May 10, 2012 IP
  17. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Right, we're quite different from sites like wikipedia. At the outset I made the editorial decision to take no ads and to solicit no funds (nor to receive them). I just felt I was supposed to make the website (sig link #2) free to all. To my great surprise and blessing, on a good month it gets about 100,000 unique visitors.

Jim4767, May 10, 2012 IP
  18. 2k8bomb

2k8bomb Peon

Best Answers:
    It's has been going on for a long time, but the update has definitely contributed to the overall negative SEO [​IMG]

2k8bomb, May 10, 2012 IP
  19. MajorTom10110

MajorTom10110 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure how its thought that negative SEO won't become more prevalent. Google has so much data and so much analyzing power behind it...but the Internet is a billion headed monster that is constantly evolving. They're going to incentivize sneaky shnit. Not sure how they're going to be able to keep it straight.

MajorTom10110, Jun 26, 2012 IP
  20. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    negative seo might be very possible given the google current policy. but I am afraid this would cause bad competition: people could not focus on their own websites!

xc06, Jun 26, 2012 IP