1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Panda update De-ranked this article, can you check what is wrong with it?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mirisaamali, May 4, 2012.

Hi All,

The following article was doing good in ranking when suddenly it dropped off from entire ranking and i believe removed from ranking after the Latest Google Panda update that happened on April 24th.

http://childpack.com/baby-poop-chart/

Till date i have not been able to understand what Panda is trying to do. If they are trying to remove spammy articles and Junk articles, then why did the remove this one? It had all the ingredients of User requirements in it. Unique content, important information, good flow of language etc etc.

Just like this, many of my links were removed from ranking. My traffic is now half of what it was since last panda update and 1/4th since the first panda update. :mad:

Please check the link above and let me know what is wrong in it from SEO (panda) point of view!

Waiting eagerly for your comments...

Note: I hope i posted this in the right forum place.

mirisaamali, May 4, 2012 IP
  2. mirisaamali

mirisaamali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forgot to add, I was receiving good traffic to this article before Panda update of April 24th, but now it is zero!

mirisaamali, May 4, 2012 IP
  3. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It wasn't Panda, but Penguin. Your article is really keyword heavy. Tone it down. It reads like it was written for a search engine, not a good flow. A reader will get that it's about baby poop chart. Also, remove the text formatting (bold). The page just screams out - this is a page heavily optimised for baby poop chart. A very easy footprint for Google. The first in-article mention of it links to your home page. It's a completely irrelevant link.

So, firstly, you need to:

1. Tone it down on keyword frequency (for baby poop chart and anything else you've mentioned excessively).
    2. Remove the bolding of the keyword.
    3. Remove the irrelevant link.

Good luck! Remember: the Penguin update is about on-page SEO (webspam). So this means the on-page for your site and for the sites (pages) linking back to you (and not necessarily the links themselves). But, first and foremost it's your own on-page.

ryan_uk, May 4, 2012 IP
  4. seotrafficsearch

seotrafficsearch Peon

Best Answers:
    Just look at the number of times you've used "baby poop chart" and that too in bold letters. Although the density of the keyword isn't too high, it looks spammy which is why you have been de-ranked. You should consider improving the quality of content, keeping the keyword density within limits.

seotrafficsearch, May 5, 2012 IP
  5. mirisaamali

Best Answers:
    Prior to panda thing, keyword bolding worked well. I think this is one of the main issues.

So essentially, i just keep the keyword within the tone of the article, without getting bothered to bold or anything, right?

Also, the link, should i take it off. It is in all the articles i have on my site.

Thanks for the inputs ryan_UK, appreciate it. Any more feedbacks please?

mirisaamali, May 5, 2012 IP
  6. mirisaamali

Best Answers:
    Also How many times should a keyword appear in the article then? Should i bold it at least once?

7. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    I would recommend not bolding it. Maybe one time it worked (like meta keywords), but then became just a tool for spammers and therefore untrusted (now).

As for the keyword occurrence, just write the article naturally and you'll probably find that it occurs 2-3 times per 500 words.

Regarding the link, it has very little relevancy (and doesn't make sense: you're already linking back to your home page, but why with such an anchor text? You don't want people clicking off and landing somewhere that now has no meaning in relation to what they were reading). With Penguin and Panda relevancy has become very important. It might not be a major factor, but is a factor.

Good luck, mate.

ryan_uk, May 5, 2012 IP
  8. mirisaamali

Best Answers:
    hmm, you do make sense. How about the meta keyword? should i just leave it empty?

Also tell me about inclusion of keywords in which places seems to be most important as per the latest guidelines. Is it like

- Title
    - content (as you said)
    - description

Let me know before i begin the entire reformating of my site. Rather, if you can, jot down a few points that i should make sure while doing so.

Appreciate your help ryan_uk

9. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Yes, ignore meta keywords as they are not used to help rankings. That's right: title, content, description. ALT tags for images should describe the image (rather than be used as a keyword stuffing chance). title="" in inks should be a title, rather than a list of keywords or very long text. Always keep in mind relevancy.

Don't just dive in and reformat the entire site. Instead, just make changes to this one article. If the rank and traffic subsequently improves then you know that these changes were right (the changes I've recommend are similar to ones I've advised other people to make and it has also worked for them). In general, keep a log of what you changed and when; it will help to know what works and what doesn't.

Good luck, mate!

ryan_uk, May 5, 2012 IP
  10. mirisaamali

Best Answers:
    Generally how much time does it take for search engine to show changes with a particular change done on an article?

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  11. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    No worries and all the best, mate.

Going a bit off-topic, did you right the article yourself? You seem to know the subject quite well! ;-)

ryan_uk, May 5, 2012 IP
  12. mirisaamali

Best Answers:
    Yeah, i wrote it myself. Well am a father of two, so sometimes i get the duty of looking and cleaning of poop. So have to know about it well!

I do good research though before writing on any subject. But now i understand, just having good article doesn't really work!

13. deew

deew Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that the Panda changes will produce some very interesting results. Like Amazon for instance has shot right to the top of Google. People will probably find a way to beat the Panda system, the fact of the matter is, in order for any new site to get up the top of Google it will take much longer for them to get competitive and even then it will be pretty difficult to build up those natural links.

deew, May 5, 2012 IP
  14. mirisaamali

Best Answers:
    @deew,,

Its not about beating a system i believe,,,this time its more to do with setting things right for good. This is what everyone is doing,,,now look at me, i have been unknowingly following a method which Google considers spam now, which earlier worked. So by default i am removing junk off my site and setting things right. Imagine just like me there might be millions doing the same, thus the Google trick worked.

mirisaamali, May 6, 2012 IP
  15. mirisaamali

Best Answers:
    There you go, i made the necessary changes to the above mentioned article. Now can you guys check it and see if its alright as per the ON page SEO rules?

mirisaamali, May 6, 2012 IP
  16. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    You still need to tweak it. "baby poop", for example, is still mentioned a lot (29 times).

Let's imagine this scenario: if you got someone who knows nothing about search engines, SEO, etc, to write an article for you, the "density" would be lower. It would be more natural (rather than feel like words are being shoved in there). This seems to be the type of content that now works well. (Keywords are in the title, URL, mentioned a few times in the article.)

Summary: forget SEO and just go back to basics with writing.

Original:
    "Most parents maintain a baby poop chart, in order to ascertain the number of meals and the time of baby poop. When taking care of the baby, it is difficult to remember the time when the baby pooped and thus the chart comes in very handy."

One small change:
    "Most parents maintain a baby poop chart, in order to ascertain the number of meals and the time of baby poop. When taking care of the baby, it is difficult to remember the time when they pooped and thus the chart comes in very handy."

Original:
    "It is important to maintain a log of baby poop and also include other details like the appearance and consistency of the baby poop. The baby poop will be dark and sticky during the first few days after birth and this is referred to as meconium. After a few weeks the baby may pass green colored poop that is normal. But it can be a reason of worry if the baby poop contains mucus or if it is dark green in color."

Small changes:
    "It is important to maintain a log of baby poop and also include other details like the appearance and consistency of it. During the first few days after birth, it will be dark and sticky and this is referred to as meconium. After a few weeks the baby may pass green colored poop that is normal. But it can be a reason of worry if the baby poop contains mucus or if it is dark green in color."

(You could even change it to: "worry if it contains mucus...".)

You see, the read already knows the subject of the article (baby poop), so it doesn't need to be mentioned so often. You really want to avoid the same words in every consecutive sentence. Every other sentence is OK, but even then, check if it "feels" right when reading it. I hope you understand what I mean?

Also, you have the poop chart and then the exact same text below it again.

ryan_uk, May 6, 2012 IP
    mirisaamali likes this.
  17. mirisaamali

Best Answers:
    hmm, I think i understood what you mean. Thanks for taking out time and giving the inputs. Let me do the needful and get back with results.

And ryan_UK, just gave you a reputation for your effort!

mirisaamali, May 7, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.