1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Negative SEO.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Cheesekewrls, Apr 30, 2012.

The issue about Negative SEO is becoming a hot topic today. Kindly, tell everyone your thoughts about it.
    Also, what are your suggestions to stop this kind of activity? :)

Cheesekewrls, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  2. frankoDray

frankoDray Peon

Best Answers:
    Just keep building good links

frankoDray, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  3. tomcthomas

tomcthomas Peon

Best Answers:
    Now this is the main problem that facing all SEO companies, this is due to new updation in google.....called panda and penguin .You can come back by getting good back links and maintain your content quality..

tomcthomas, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  4. Thememorybookshop

Thememorybookshop Peon

Best Answers:
    negative seo is being popular now days. you hire people to working for your competitors their work affect on their ranking and your competitors loose there ranking. god its very bad hope my competitors are not looking for any negative guy :D

Thememorybookshop, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  5. ashleyjohn2347

ashleyjohn2347 Peon

Best Answers:
    Negative SEO refers to the over optimization also. Google counts the quality work. If it comes to know that the work done is not worth, then it encounters it as negative SEO.

ashleyjohn2347, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  6. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Negative SEO or Reverse SEO is part of Online reputation management.
    It is about burying your bad reputation in the industry.

There are mixed opinion about negative SEO... Some webmasters say that deliberately spoiling your competitor's reputation (for boosting your own ranking) is part of black hat SEO.

C.Rebecca, May 1, 2012 IP
  7. sksinghsanjeet

sksinghsanjeet Peon

Best Answers:
    maintain your content quality and create keyword relevant url

sksinghsanjeet, May 2, 2012 IP
  8. Atco-maart

Atco-maart Peon

Best Answers:
    Its a reverse SEO. It is considered as spamming and the ranked keyword will be removed from search result after doing negative SEO.

Atco-maart, May 2, 2012 IP
  9. tevag

tevag Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the answers. It is the first time to read about negative SEO. I am wondering how a company can be protected by negative SEO?

tevag, May 2, 2012 IP
  10. amcg

amcg Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's no way to really stop negative SEO 100%.
    You can set up damage limitation by just ensuring you have quality only back links and unique content.
    If you get someone trying to disrupt your rankings by doing negative seo then you will just need to do good seo to balance it out. And if possible delete any spammed links you come across on back link checkers.

amcg, May 2, 2012 IP
  11. Altravis1982

Altravis1982 Peon

Best Answers:
    hopefully Google will change this factor in next update

Altravis1982, May 2, 2012 IP
  12. coolgauravs

coolgauravs Member

Best Answers:
    Recent events such as unnatural link warnings from Google, over optimization filters andblog networks being deindexed by Google, the concern of links being able to harm a website has risen again.

How To Protect Yourself
    A website with useful content that helps people.
    Solid site architecture.
    Great website design for usability and trust purposes. Nowadays, design is marketing.
    A relatively clean link profile that shows the search engines that you aren’t doing anything over manipulative.

to know more read seo articles about it..

coolgauravs, May 2, 2012 IP
  13. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    ryan_uk, May 2, 2012 IP
  14. Cheesekewrls

Cheesekewrls Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I see your point there. It's sad that other competitors are hiring negative seos to do dirty jobs or black hat seo.

Cheesekewrls, May 2, 2012 IP
  15. Cheesekewrls

Cheesekewrls Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheesekewrls, May 2, 2012 IP
  16. PoBoy

PoBoy Guest

Best Answers:
    I've seen a couple websites popping up that provide negative SEO services. Not really sure of the legal implications of that, but it's kind of funny and sad at the same time. I guess for those people that are unskilled or just plain suck at SEO suddenly have a golden business opportunity in front of them :)

PoBoy, May 2, 2012 IP
  17. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Are they actually doing Negative SEO on the "target", or in fact they're really doing some positive SEO for their customer? If you pay close attention to Rand, you'll start to realise that Negative SEO can really just be done if there's access to the on-page.

Let's take what we all know (or should):

You have a site ranking #1 for red widgets and has some strong, genuinely white hat links that Google will always give value. Then a lot of links are built to your site, by Mr Negative SEO, with irrelevant anchor text, from banned pages, etc. Well, it won't count it as a vote for your site, so your site will still rely upon these white hat, strong links. Rank remains the same. Negative SEO failed, as it should.

You have another site ranking for #3 for blue widgets. You've got a mixture of organic white hat links, just like your other site, but this is a higher competition keyword, so you decide to buy some links. The gives you #1 rank. Mr Negative SEO comes along and builds a bunch of irrelevant links to your site. They are discounted by Google. Not long after this, though, along comes a Google update and devalues the paid links, rank plummets, competitors have had a good white hat SEO plan going on, so you not only drop past #3 but fall further. Again, Negative SEO failed as the rank drop was a coincidence (and your own fault).

Get the picture? Negative SEO won't work in terms of them building links, but if they had access to your actual site to put bad/spam/irrelevant content then it would affect your rankings. The other thing is they could potentially get your genuine links removed. Some people might be easy to fool, others harder work and would require a domain email address (without spoofing). There has been a lot of talk about negative SEO due to Panda and Penguin, that it's possible, but really it's a myth.

ryan_uk, May 4, 2012 IP
  18. harsabana

harsabana Peon

Best Answers:
    Negative SEO is the reverse of search engine optimisation. The aim of search engine optimisation is to increase a site's visibility in the SERPs. With Negative SEO, the aim of the procedure is to reduce a page's rankings in the search results.

harsabana, May 6, 2012 IP
  19. war_machine

war_machine Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that negative SEO is real, but I don't think a forum profile blast to a domain is going to be enough to sink them in the rankings and would be risky to do since there is a chance of some positive benefits coming from it. I am not speaking from personal experience since I've never tried negative SEO, so I could be wrong and would be interesting to hear from others that have real experience with negative SEO methods, but I think Google just majorly devalues certain type of spammy links, such as forum profiles, especially when it detects many of them being built at once, so your efforts are just wasted when you try to do this.

war_machine, May 9, 2012 IP
  20. MiloOpus

MiloOpus Peon

Best Answers:
    Two questions:
    1) If someone does negative SEO against one page of my site will that impact my entire domain or just that one page?
    2) If someone copies my content and spams it around will that negatively affect my rankings even though my page was there first? What if they use domains that are older than mine?
    3) Is there anything I can do to guard against this?

MiloOpus, May 20, 2012 IP