1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would an ebook about making a 2D Game or App for Android, iOS really be worth it?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by BacioiuC, May 1, 2012.

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been on the DP forums! I came back today with a question that has been bugging me all week. In order to get to it, I must first explain how it sprouted.

For two years now I have been working as a Game Designer for a well known mobile company (Gameloft), and I have been working on a few blockbuster, the last one being announced a few days ago! In my spare time, I design simple and fun 2D and 3D games, but I don't have the budget to go into full production as an indie. There is a small period of free time between projects at my current job (about 1-2 months) and I was thinking of writing a small e-book about making a 2D game for Android/iOS/Meego. Nothing big, I plan on focusing mostly on getting a useful framework ready in order to use it as a base. I'm planning on releasing the e-book with the finished project for all platforms.

Now, my question to you: Do you think it would be worth? I know it will take a while to get everything ready and since I have little no experience when it comes to writing e-books and earning revenues from this, I decided to ask those with more experience. So, would it be worth it? Could I sell a few copies to earn 100-200$? What do you guys think?

Looking forward to your answers!

Thanks,
    Constantin

BacioiuC, May 1, 2012 IP
  2. mrmarchuk

mrmarchuk Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i, personally, would appreciate the time put into a 2d development ebook but would not actually put the time into making a 2d game since there are so many 3d games out there. you might be better off writing an ebook on how to make a text-based game, as those seem to be slightly more popular than most 2d / side scrollers nowadays

mrmarchuk, May 1, 2012 IP
  3. nick360

nick360 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a good idea. If you have the know how use it. Not like you have to loose much.

nick360, May 1, 2012 IP