1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google rolled out a new Panda update today - did you see your rankings drop?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Premium Domains, Apr 24, 2012.

1. imranamen6

imranamen6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Some of my sites are thrown back where as some sites are getting back there results.

the sites which i forget from last 6 months and did not touch it for seo and others are doing well.

imranamen6, Apr 27, 2012 IP
  2. fgogo

fgogo Active Member

Best Answers:
    All dropped pages have just one true reason: bad linking strategy. Thats all.

fgogo, Apr 27, 2012 IP
  3. thmvp20

thmvp20 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know what they are experimenting with or if this is an experiment, but I have noticed a lot of Twitter sites coming in at #1 for names that a week ago was page 2, 3 or lower in some cases. In a way it makes sense, but it's also costing me dearly with the way my network is designed. Are social network sites being pumped up the ranks even more now? Hope its temporary.

thmvp20, Apr 27, 2012 IP
  4. metaxom

metaxom Active Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by bad link strategy? It was good strategy since they were on top right before Google "changed" the rules of the game.

Google is trying to milk some cash with these repeated animal updates - make webmasters spend more on advertising on Adwords maybe? Do some crap changes and confuse everybody so they don't get too comfortable with their good rankings.

Most important! Without Google dances visitors will know who's number 1 in searches and will go directly to that web site skipping Google therefore traffic and clicks for the "do no evil"

metaxom, Apr 28, 2012 IP
  5. Valkerie

Valkerie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Time and time again, Google has said not to buy links, build quality sites, etc. They've published their guidelines so that we all know what they expect. Panda hit bad quality sites. Penguin hit sides with bad links. Google is still tweaking the new algorithm and the results seem to be settling down.

Bad link strategy is BMR, ALN, same text for all backlinks, etc. So lack of keyword diversity and blog network links were hit. If you have white hat links, never bought links, and your links are 100% natural from people finding and loving your website - then you have a legitimate beef. And there's a form out there somewhere (I forget where) for you to have your website examined.

However, if you've ever bought a link, made a link, exchanged reciprocal links, have links on websites with nothing to do with your niche - you're SOL. There's a reason why the negative SEO conversation is exploding right now.

And, if you think this algorithm was bad, wait until Google goes to social signals only. This is only the beginning of major algo changes.

As an affiliate marketer, it makes life difficult, to say the least.

Valkerie, Apr 28, 2012 IP
  6. thmvp20

thmvp20 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been a webmaster for exactly one full year now. I don't know if this is what some of you vets have gone through before, but I find it frustrating that I put so much time and effort in trying to do things the RIGHT way (I did make one mistake at one point that I learned from) but after the update was officially launched, it feels like all the hard work has gone to waste and it's very frustrating to think at any point Google can make an extreme change to their algorithm that can screw over any webmaster that cautiously managed their websites based on commonly used advice and good intentions... Now all that goes down the drain, we have to learn what works in April 2012, and maybe by December that too will get shot down. Why can't their be a little more consistence from these guys.

What is the purpose of using a search engine? To find what you are looking for. I don't know about the rest of you, but I found it MUCH easier to find what I was looking for a week ago than I am today. So forget about my bias as a webmaster, looking at this from a web surfer's standpoint, this is a BIG FAIL to me.

thmvp20, Apr 28, 2012 IP
  7. metaxom

metaxom Active Member

Best Answers:
    People that love your site are visitors not webmasters - most webmasters would try to sink you instead of linking to your pages, really? They want something in return and they heard that links can be sold since Google values them.

Google said seo was ok when done right but now is saying - let's confuse these people with many updates and changes so they lose confidence in seo companies.

metaxom, Apr 28, 2012 IP
  8. Valkerie

Best Answers:
    A good SEO company would be on top of algo changes. Part of being competent in SEO is knowing where Google is going. Even if you're not competent in SEO - just watch Squidoo and Hubpages and see what changes they make. They know where Google is going and try to be ahead of the changes/penalties. They loose major $$$ everytime they get penalized and are usually way ahead of the curve. If you publish an article in Squidoo, they tell you to like, share, facebook and pin it. It's annoying but necessary.

I've actually gotten links from webmasters at authority sites. And, I've gotten links from visitors who've quoted/given out links to my articles in forums because the article answered a question being asked on the forum. It can be done. I've also gotten emails from webmasters asking me to link to their sites. I've learned not to give reciprocal links and I don't always give them a link - but sometimes, if their content is good and in my niche, I will.

I've had sites tanked by Google that still get tons of traffic because someone, somewhere recognized that I had written a quality article with information that they needed and gave me a link - to a sub-page on my site.

We can't all be Amazon and yes, we do have to support each other. If we don't recognize each other's efforts - we get updates like Panda and Penguin.

The problem is that the web is so cluttered now, it's hard to find the small authority sites. The sheer amount of websites is also a reason that Google is moving to social indicators. It's easier to find quality if it's been pre-screened by communities of people with no agenda.

Squidoo, Hubpages, Pinterest, Google+, Reddit - learn to love them.

Produce info that people WANT to share - pictures, videos and articles. This is the future of the web. The 500 word keyword stuffed article that no one wants to read and is of no value EXCEPT to push your keyword is dead. I wondered how many cute kitten videos Yahoo could feature on its sidebar until I realized I kept clicking on the videos. Learn from that - what makes you click.

Panda and Penguin should be a wake-up call to everyone in SEO. Trusted web results is what Google is always trying to achieve. And by trusted, I mean results people want to see.

Of course people are already gaming Google for social results and Google engineers are already working on the algorithms that will figure out if a site has real social results spread organically.

If you're tired of getting your a** handed to you at every update, go back read your own site and ask yourself if it is interesting. Does it have info that people want or need to know? If you didn't own it, would you spend time on it?

If your answer is yes, then go social and start pimping to people who are interested in the same topic that your site covers. Find the forums, social sites, Yahoo answer categories and everywhere else people congregate who have an interest in your topic. Find out what questions they're asking and start answering them in your website. Then nudge them toward your answer. (There's a fine line between being helpful and annoying on social sites.)

If you're doing a local business, hit the local review sites and Yelp.

I've had Google smack me down repeatedly over a 5 year period for various reasons. I've actually learned a lot and made money off of the Penguin update. It's all about paying attention to Google's stated guidelines and the big players in the field.

Valkerie, Apr 28, 2012 IP
    d3wlin likes this.
  9. vapsjee

vapsjee Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of my sites rankings dropped. A very sad day in my life.

vapsjee, Apr 29, 2012 IP
  10. Stevenetomed

Stevenetomed Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    on almost all of my big sites that i build links with anchor text have been hit hard, but many of my mini sites with 4 or 5 pages and just 1 or 2 backlinks to get them indexed are ranking well. this confirms that Google is not only not using our backlinks to rank us anymore. it actually seems link the lack of SEO is what will get you ranking right now, just content left on its own merits.

This is just temporary eventually once this algorithm is fully implemented good non heavily SEO's sites will do well and people who spend all their time SEOing and not making a site of worth will be SOL.

K.I.S.S
    e t i t
    e m u
    p p p
    l i
    e d

Stevenetomed, Apr 29, 2012 IP
  11. bimmer

bimmer Peon

Best Answers:
    I see some EMDs down, and some are still up. So my guess is that updates are still happening.

bimmer, Apr 29, 2012 IP
  12. darknight44

darknight44 Peon

Best Answers:
    i saw a slight drop in rankings

darknight44, Apr 29, 2012 IP
  13. Jake the rake

Jake the rake Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you wondered how much of your website intelligence and data you are giving to them daily? All your back links activity, content, search queries etc etc just by using Using Google analytics and Webmaster tools? Oh yeah they are part of your free diet and morning serum you drink only to be ranked lower when some "algo changes " comes along, cause your site is first in line to be cut in half because of your sheer volunteer work for big G. Live on and die broke.

Jake the rake, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  14. Jake the rake

Jake the rake Peon

Best Answers:
    Haven't figured this out by yourself all this time you been on the Internet ?

Have you stopped using Google Analytics and webmaster tools ? No you love em cause they are free and you keep pumping your armpits here. They are free for a reason, to make you miserable one day like this.

15. Jake the rake

Jake the rake Peon

Best Answers:
    Google treats Squidoo , Hubpages and other web 2.0 properties differently than search results. Google trust those site lot more than your one page spammed contraption with 20 fake links. It goes with the grain.

16. Jake the rake

Jake the rake Peon

Best Answers:
    These Panda and Penguin updates are not the end. Google owns 80 percent of search market ( please correct me if I am wrong ). They want to own 100 percent of the Internet search market. They will do everything to extend their own goals not yours. It is a cold and hard fact of life. They do not care about you, or your site, or your business or your tears on this forums. You can cry like a baby and blow wind all day.

There is nothing to regulate them. They are a Monopoly in my opinion. Google will continue to extend these updates till every affiliate marketer is dead and every competitor is eating worms from scorched earth. They have a castle and they have a big wide moat where no competitor can invade or dare to go. There is no Governmental oversight of anything on the Internet. There is no action in the US congress and Senate to stop one company owning 60 or 80 percent US market share. The Senators are basking in the sun allowing everything to break the consumers back. One competitor can wreck havoc and you are witnessing these via the whims and edicts of a single most powerful corporation on the Internet.

Here are you are crying about your site rankings? They care less. However there is one silver lining here in this dark cloud. The consumer can stop patronizing Google and free itself from Google. There is nothing Google can do about it. They can not stop the consumer turning away. Stop using their free products even stop using the search engines. The Giant would be powerless.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  17. dc2

dc2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of my main sites dropped over 50% traffic, I never even did any type of seo for those keywords to me it seems that this penguin update being applied is working with a mix of panda algorithms
    combined

dc2, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  18. Master Directory

Master Directory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    some of my website still have same result

Master Directory, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  19. Valkerie

Best Answers:
    Actually, Google doesn't trust them more. There are tons of web 2.0 properties that Google slammed in previous updates. The ones that survived learned what Google expected and complied with the terms set out for them. That's why there were massive changes at Hubpages, Squidoo, Zimbio, etc. And people found their hubs, lenses and articles banned.

I've learned NOT to depend on Google for traffic. You have to learn to think outside the box. After my first Google penalty 5 years ago, for a white hat site that I loved and babied, I learned never to depend on them for organic traffic in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, organic traffic from Big G is great, but people congregate all over the web, outside of Google search results. Promote your websites where they are.

Valkerie, May 1, 2012 IP
  20. stepbystep

stepbystep Member

Best Answers:
    My site also drop from 1st page to 3-4 page, but after 2-3 days i saw that some keywords those goes down from 1st page to 4th page were back to thier old ranking.:D

stepbystep, May 1, 2012 IP