1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Basic Concepts

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by aloksaurabh, Apr 24, 2012.

Hello webmasters,
    i need to know what to read for knowledge on difference between
    dns and domain names.

Till now i have had couple of websites on shared hosting.
    During the time of purchase i use to mention my domain name
    the the hosting used to give me some dns (usually 3) and i use to update the dns details in the registrar cp

but now i need to work with vps or dedicated server. I know that i can make my own dns on these
    but i don't know how
    assume the server is Linux - unmanaged - and the support is crappy.
    I actually got a coupon that had like 90% off and bought some servers.But now the hosting is pissed off at me for misusing that coupon

i also have another question

lets say that i own
    idontknowanything.com

and i bought a dedicated server for that and i mentioned idontknowanything.com during my purchage. Now due to some reason i lose access to my domain
    idontknowanything.com (it expiers and is bought by someone else) but i still have the dedicated server(127.0.0.1). Now i want the server to work with
    idontknowanything.net is that possible?
    someone suggested that just forward the ip of the domain to the server and it will work fine but suppose i have an application that connects to
    idontknowanything.net at port 21
    will it connect to the new server(127.0.0.1) ?

aloksaurabh, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  2. Rainulf

Rainulf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whenever you get a VPS or a dedicated server, they would provide you an IP to that server.

The point of a domain is to make easier for people to read an address whenever they visit a website. idontknowanything.com is much easier to remember than 35.235.75.34 or something. DNS is the technology used to point idontknowanything.com to your server.

There's fairly lengthy steps to get your unmanaged linux server up and running. Because you have to install everything - webserver (apache), mysql, DNS, etc.

Yes, it's possible. If you don't want to host your own DNS server (installing it and getting it up and running can be lengthy and complex), there are free services out there like http://freedns.afraid.org/

Rainulf, Apr 26, 2012 IP