1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Spring chickens / easter chicks

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ~kev~, Apr 12, 2012.

Anyone buy some chickens this spring? With the price of food going up,,, well, with the price of everything going up, my wife and I decided to get some chickens.

My wife and I decided to get some chicks this spring. In all, we ended up with 13 chicks of various types.

3 - black jersey giants
    2 - barred rocks
    2 - australorps
    4 - rhode island reds
    And a couple others I do not remember what type

[​IMG]

Its just too much trouble to raise chickens for the meat. Well, unless you do not like factory raised meat that is.

Easter weekend I adding a 6 feet wide by 4 foot deep section. When its finished the coop should be about 8 feet long and 6 feet wide.

If my math is right, this gives each chicken 3.23 square feet, not counting the laying boxes or perches.

The next step is to fence in the bottom of the coop so the chicks can get outside.

~kev~, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  2. cssgallerylist

cssgallerylist Member

Best Answers:
    Black jersey gaints

cssgallerylist, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So you are raising them for...

Who will do the kill?

My 12 year old was in the supermarket with me when I was comparing the cost of eggs in dozens and trays and decided he had the perfect solution... get hens. His Dad vetoed that pretty quickly.

sarahk, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  4. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The chickens are being raised for egg production, and not for butchering. When the chickens get older and stop laying, we might butcher them then.

At just a little over 2 months old, a coupe of the larger breeds weigh a couple of pounds.

[​IMG]

~kev~, Apr 25, 2012 IP