1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help Me I'm Clueless

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by GuruVoodoo, Apr 23, 2012.

Hi All,

Firstly, you must know that I don't know anything when it comes to CSS or coding of any sought. I'm looking for an online walkthrough or tutorial for building a blog site. I've added a theme but I want to make various changes to the site, but to customise it seems tough. Could anyone point me in the direction of somewhere online that will walk me through changes images, colours and words that are part of a them I've installed please.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GuruVoodoo, Apr 23, 2012 IP
  2. Stoney100

Stoney100 Peon

Best Answers:
    Owners may generate some income through affiliate links on various pages on the website.

What type of website are you trying to build? For example, is it a Blog or ecommerce website? Many people use Wordpress platform these days. It will save you a lot of time and headache.
    Most webhosting sites have QuickInstall or Fantastico – just one-click install that will help you install Wordpress (it’s free).

If you don’t want to use wordpress, you can choose any other platform for a blog site, e-commerce or forum (or whatever) type of site you are trying to build. You can then customize it look and feel of your site.

This will really help you have a very professional looking site and save time.

Stoney100, Apr 23, 2012 IP
  3. GuruVoodoo

GuruVoodoo Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I'm not too sure you've understood my thread. I'm making a blog and it is a wordpress template, but how do I customise the header and so on...

4. Stoney100

Stoney100 Peon

Best Answers:
    I see what you mean. For headers:

In your wordpress –
    Go to:
    Appearance –- Editor

At the right hand side you will see a drop down box plus the list of files included in the theme.
    The header file is usually header.php
    Wordpress.org has lots of more info
    You can start here - wordpress.org/Using_Themes

5. GuruVoodoo

GuruVoodoo Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks that helps a bit more, but I need to know how to change things. I have a file which I'd love to be able to put onto the site but all the coding just has me baffled :( Would I need to get to grips with CSS or is there a 'Wordpress for Dummies' avenue that I can take here?

6. ketting00

ketting00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go to Tizag dot com. That was where I start learning creating a website from. There are also more stuffs to learn from over there. And noted that there's no shortcut about this.

ketting00, Apr 23, 2012 IP
    GuruVoodoo likes this.
  7. GuruVoodoo

GuruVoodoo Member

Best Answers:
    Top stuff, thanks for that!

8. Stoney100

Stoney100 Peon

Best Answers:
    The good thing about Wordpress is that there are loads of plugins one can use to automate changes. For instance to tweak a theme, one can use a plugin such as ‘Theme Tweaker Life’.
    Just take care to check ratings and compatibility before you install plugins.

9. imranamen6

imranamen6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you want to edit the header file and so on. download the theme from the folder wp-content/themes/your selected theme

There you find header.php open it with some good editor like Dreamweaver make the changes you want upload the file back to the server by replacing the existing file refresh in the browser and see the changes.

imranamen6, Apr 23, 2012 IP
  10. masterptc

masterptc Member

Best Answers:
    You should check out wordpress forum for better help

masterptc, Apr 23, 2012 IP
  11. DayaJosh

DayaJosh Member

Best Answers:
    have you got all your doubts solved ?

DayaJosh, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  12. GuruVoodoo

GuruVoodoo Member

Best Answers:
    Sort of, just going to learn by doing and hope I don't make a mess of things. However, if you are offering a free service I would be happy to have a tutor!

GuruVoodoo, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  13. nightshade877

nightshade877 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're starting out an want a blog, there is nothing more simple than wordpress. You do not need to know css to have a wordpress blog. Look for a host that includes a feture called "fantastico deluxe" That will install wordpress for you in a heartbeat with ease. Look for instructional videos on youtube on how to use fantastico with wordpress and you will have a great looking site in no time.

nightshade877, Apr 25, 2012 IP
    GuruVoodoo likes this.
  14. GuruVoodoo

GuruVoodoo Member

Best Answers:
    I've started the long and arduous (self) education of HTML and then will be moving onto CSS, but it would be useful to use the feature you've mentioned in the meantime to at least get things up and running! Much appreciated :)

GuruVoodoo, Apr 26, 2012 IP
  15. kiramanic

kiramanic Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem is basically that WP themes are all different in their file structure, markup and CSS. Without having the exact theme code on hand there's no way to tell you "this is the CSS you'll need to know to edit ANY theme". It's good that you've decided to learn the lot, anyway, since a few basic skills will come in useful in all sorts of situations (not least of which is changing your theme and finding it's totally different all over again :D).

I kinda like helping people learn this stuff so if you want a casual Skype buddy or whatever to answer occasional questions while working, PM me ;)

kiramanic, Apr 26, 2012 IP