1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Disable all BMR links? Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by BenjArriola, Apr 16, 2012.

A friend of mine was asking this question because he was involved in buying from blog networks that got penalized by Google. I said I could not give an answer since I do not really buy from these blog networks.

He told me BMR aka BuildMyRank (one of the networks that got penalized) had a free service to keep the links or remove all the links. He was asking me what to do. I said I don't know, I will ask.

So I decided to ask others who has done this already.

What did you do with your BMR links? Remove them or keep then and how is your ranking?

BenjArriola, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  2. imranamen6

imranamen6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well if you think that your site got lower rank due tyo submission to BMR links. it is wise to remove your site linkl from those blog networks quickly.

imranamen6, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  3. Nathaniell

Nathaniell Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a tough question. I figured that I only had about 12 sites, and 100-200 links each, so total of 1000 links or so. The posts already got me good rankings, and though my rankings dropped after BMR go deindexed, it still showed they worked. The I did a Google search to see if Google could find the content. Did it? No. That means no copyright problem. I stripped the posts from BMR, and posted them in other blog networks. So far, no problem (it's been one month). If your friend has 1000's of links it might be a real pain though.

Nathaniell, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  4. BenjArriola

BenjArriola Peon

Best Answers:
    If BMR blogs get deindexed and penalized, do the sites it links to get penalized? Or just just got devalued links?

If BMR links do help, but they also do not harm, might as well keep them there for direct traffic and Yahoo/Bing ranking. So the main question is are they doing harm right now?

@imranamen6 - Ranking can go down but not due to a penalty but due to devalued links. And since these have no recurring payments involved, it's really no additional cost to keep them too. If it is just a devalued link issue, then you can still get links in other places and still keep the BMR links. Or are you suggesting this because you are leaning more towards the idea that these links are also doing harm like passing on the penalty aside from just getting devalued?

BenjArriola, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  5. BenjArriola

BenjArriola Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, not the kind of answers I was looking for, but has already given advice to my friend.

Seems like all answers are based on some theory and hypothetical situation. Some are based on some counter actions they have taken and what the result was.

I was looking for an answer like:

Yes I disabled all links from BMR by using their free service to disable them all, and I didn't do anything else to my SEO work and the result was (nothing changed, ranking went down, ranking went up)

But anyway... I advised to disable all BMR links based on an internal discussion with others and implementing a pragmatic solution.

If disabling BMR links on all deindexed sites:
    • Penalizes You
      The Consequences:
      1. You are losing ranking due to a penalty
      2. You have difficulty coming back up because of a penalty
      3. You have to prove to Google you don't deserve the penalty
      4. You need a lot of work for better links
      5. You still get the benefit of links for Yahoo/Bing
    • Only Devalues Your Links
      The Consequences:
      1. You are losing ranking due to a lost of links
      2. You need a lot of work for better links
      3. You still get the benefit of links for Yahoo/Bing

The links are devalued or do harm, whatever it is, the best it can do is not give you any link juice in Google but the worst is you might be penalized also. Instead of going into the unknown gamble, might as well go into the sure side since you do not gain any extra value from the links anyway. And if ever you are getting penalized by these links, then you can even gain more ranking.

BenjArriola, Apr 17, 2012 IP