1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback Issues with B-S-T

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by cPAce, Apr 16, 2012.

Hello,

I have been a long time member of Digital Point. When I first joined, everything was perfect. There was little to no spammers/scammers, and everyone was friendly and helpful. Now it seems like 80% of people in the Buy-Sell-Trade section are either scammers, spammers, or complete idiots.

Now if I may rant a little bit, I have been around DP for a LONG time. I used to use my brothers account before I signed up for my account and I KNOW DP is better then this. It seems like now I spend more time reporting posts then I actually spend posting on them. There has to be a better way.

Now im at the point where I am personally receiving infractions for the dumbest and most idiotic reasons. If some of the mods here have nothing better to do then +1 members who actually support and help out this community, then something is wrong.

What I am getting at is instead of giving pointless infractions for users who make a mistake every once in a while, why not start doing what a mod is supposed to do and start banning these scum of the earth spammers and scammers?

I know im probably going to get crap for making this thread, and probably a infraction or two, but that's fine. Im used to be oppressed against, im Jewish and its been happening to my people for ages.

Now don't get me wrong, I know quite a few mods on here and talk to quite a few on a daily basis and they know whats going on and they do very well at their jobs, but some of this energy used for being infraction trigger happy should be redirected to sections that really need it.

Shawn, I hope you really read this over. I remember talking to you in the past and you are by far one of the coolest people around.

Now I ask you all this, before you start flamming and trolling the crap out of this thread, just read it and think back to DP even just 2 years ago. Think of how great things where back then.

That is all.

cPAce, Apr 16, 2012 IP
    Ausdrez and TrinityZey like this.
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Think about what you are actually asking here... You are asking that we become *more* strict with people in B/S/T, but at the same time less strict with "people supporting the community". With many hundreds of thousands of users, who is going to go in and flag each account for if it should be treated less (or more) strict?

Honestly, it's just better to treat everyone the same. But then the question becomes do you want us to be more or less strict with you? :)

digitalpoint, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  3. TrinityZey

TrinityZey Active Member

Best Answers:
    I pretty much agree. Infractions are being handed out like razor blades in taffy apples at Halloween.

TrinityZey, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  4. cPAce

cPAce Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn, don't go twisting my words now.

You know well enough you can tell who is a legitimate user of DP and who is here to work up chump change and spam around the forum. I know you see it on a daily basis. Be as strict as you want with me, I don't care. I just don't think its right for mods to toss out +1 infractions like they are getting a million dollars per infraction.

What im also getting at is the marketplace needs a better support system. Why not look for more mods for the marketplace section? I understand DP is a very large community but there has to be a better way of dealing with these issues.

Shawn, can you please PM me, I know you don't like getting bombarded with pms but I have a proposal for you and I would like to see what you think.

cPAce, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's not quite as easy as you would think. The only way to realistically do it is if it could be done programmatically/automatically... There are far too many users/posts to manually try and review each one. If you have ideas for how to make the determination automatically, please share (there are some things we do already do behind the scenes).

For the most part infractions work as designed. It's a way to let the user know they did something wrong, and at the same time it doesn't affect them at all beyond letting them know. *If* the user continues to break the rules and get more infractions... then yes... at some point enough would pile up that they would be banned temporarily. So for problematic users, they end up banned. For non-problematic users, it doesn't affect their account at all.

The solution isn't more mods. While more could be useful (obviously), it doesn't scale well when you need an additional mod for every xxx users that sign up. The solutions I'm more interested in building are the ones that *do* scale well (ones that don't require human intervention).

You can PM me whatever it is if you want.

6. cPAce

cPAce Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not look into AI programming? I could design a bot to fully understand human actions as well as understand what is allowed and not. When people hear the work bot, they freak out thinking oh, its not reliable and yada yada ya.

There HAS to be something in the works out there somewhere.

cPAce, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  8. cPAce

cPAce Peon

Best Answers:
    Google of all companies should have something in the works for this. Considering they already lead a majority of the anti-spam revolutions out there like Re-Captcha, this should have been done already.

cPAce, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  9. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Every forum has their problem with spam and scam. Some forums just get neglected, but DP mods seem to good at clearing this out.

The marketplace is free, so it's a bit hard to "police" in the same way as eBay for example, but let's face it... eBay is full of scammers too. I think that just shows what a big job it is, even on a paid level. Some people just aren't well-educated enough about how to buy a site, for example, and get burnt. Some good features are in place such as site verification, including Analytics, but not every seller uses it, so it should be a clear warning sign already. I think also the what's allowed/not allowed needs pulling together in one thread (and maybe some points clarifying) as there are a few threads about this and sometimes in one part of BST but not another. Whereas it would be better to have a single, BST-wide sticky for what is/isn't allowed. There are services such as this one on offer and from one sticky it seems is "not allowed" (as it's creating backlinks on web 2.0s): "This also includes selling lists of blogs or websites, or any other automated, semi-automated, or manual service that offers to create accounts on blogs, forums, or social networking/Web 2.0 sites."

This is the online world where it's easier (sadly) for people to con, especially when dealing in "digital goods", using PayPal, etc. So, it's not just a potential problem here on DP, but every place. Even taking good care it's possible to end up with problems, sadly.

ryan_uk, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  10. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have reported many warez sellers, why do they not get banned for life?? what happened to moderator sawz?? he was supposed to root all these arseholes out and ban them.

If they dont get banned they just keep coming back selling their stolen nulled crap, makes no bloody sense to me

malky66, Apr 19, 2012 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not quite that easy... you are assuming that someone "banned for life" and selling warez wouldn't try to make duplicate accounts? :)

digitalpoint, Apr 19, 2012 IP
  12. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No, im sure its not easy and i fully respect that and i do appreciate the effort the moderators put in, (mostly) but someone needs to try and save the reputation of this forum, before its too late.. just do a google search for "digitalpoint sucks" or "digitalpoint scam" and you will see what i mean.

Yes i'm sure there are many users who make duplicate accounts after they have been banned and i have reported some because they stick out like a sore thumb just posting the same crap they have posted before they were banned, can they not be rooted out by ip checking? perhaps employing more moderators to specifically root out duplicate accounts and mods to specifically root out warez sellers would help, they really aren't that hard to spot, it surely can't do any harm can it??

cPAce made a good point in their first post saying how great this forum was just a couple of years ago and i totally agree it used to be fairly safe place to do business but now it has got to the point where i personally don't trust anyone in the bst forum unless i know them or done business with them before.

malky66, Apr 19, 2012 IP
  13. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @cPAce
    Sorry friend,don't mean to laugh,honestly I don't but......you mentioned that you are Jewish and as such are used to be persecuted(oppressed) and picked on. While I do certainly identify with your plight,I hardly think that anyone even knew you were Jewish until you brought it up in this thread.
    "If" you have been picked on,I doubt it has anything to do with you being Jewish.............shalom. :)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 19, 2012 IP
  14. cPAce

cPAce Peon

Best Answers:
    @ Spoiltdiva

Haha I know. I mainly mentioned it to raise a couple smiles from members. Oppressed on a internet forum, story of my life haha!

Shalom!

cPAce, Apr 19, 2012 IP