1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

getting .edu links

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by lithman, Nov 14, 2006.

If you have a .edu webpage link to your site is it weighted more than a link from a .com?

lithman, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  2. tptnyc

tptnyc Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I heard it on this forum, but how to get them? Is there any list of .edu and .gov forums?

tptnyc, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  3. rakeback

rakeback Peon

Best Answers:
    No. Domain extensions do not matter at all.

rakeback, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  4. bacanze

bacanze Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally i think more weight is given.

bacanze, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  5. Subzero

Subzero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the authority of the domain, but .edu domain doesn't carry more weight than any other domain ;)

Subzero, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  6. dastuff

dastuff Peon

Best Answers:
    No, normally .edu domains just have a higher PR which makes people think more weight is given (through the numerous backlinks and what not).

dastuff, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  7. Diddy1

Diddy1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really matt cutts a prominent google employee says it used to but they fixed it as soon as they found that people were abusing it.

Thank You

Diddy1, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  8. stymiee

stymiee Peon

Best Answers:
    .edu are worth no more then any other domain extension. Period. That has been laid to rest already thanks to Matt Cutts. Now if we could just get everyone on board with it. I'm surprised there are still members here who believe this.

stymiee, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  9. rzvagelsky

rzvagelsky Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My sentiments exactly.

But I can see how the importance and value of the edu domain can be misunderstood. The reason .edu domains seem more valuable is because the majority will have a PR7+. They are NOT more valuable in the sense that an .edu domain carries more value, but because the page that a link comes from will likely be of high PR and quality. Also, most of them link to other high PR domains (other edu's) and they have been around forever.

The .edu domain IS more valuable, but only because the PR of the page your link is on CAN reach a PR9. It is a high quality site which will always receive tons of inbound links naturally, you know it will be around for a long time, and it won't be tossed away or sold like your average directory.

But in the end, a PR9 edu and a PR9 .com will provide the exact same benefit.

rzvagelsky, Nov 14, 2006 IP
    ! Ask ! likes this.
  10. TangoUK

TangoUK Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with most people that the domain extension on the linking page itself doesn't provide any boost, but an edu page is more likely to have edu IBLs of its own.

If you have a choice of a link from page A which has 100 .com IBLs, and page B which has 100 .edu IBLs, there's no doubt at all IMO, that page B will carry more weight than page A (all other things being equal - outbounds etc).

It's not about PageRank, it's about TrustRank.

TangoUK, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  11. themaster

themaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have some links from edu pages but the pr is still 3 :) I think com, edu, net etc, makes no difference.

themaster, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  12. William Martin

William Martin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'll vouch for that.

William Martin, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  13. vishuboy

vishuboy Peon

Best Answers:
    yes .edu sites and authority sites are given more weightage than other websites

vishuboy, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  14. stymiee

stymiee Peon

Best Answers:
    Most .edu pages are controlled by students, not the schools and faculty (yes, the schools provides the pages but not the content). As a result these pages have zero trust and poor content. The myth that .edu pages have high trustrank is false. Only the minority of pages actually have that.

stymiee, Nov 15, 2006 IP
    Mong likes this.
  15. stymiee

stymiee Peon

Best Answers:
    This is untrue. edu sites are not necessarily authority sites. Assuming they all are is a mistake.

stymiee, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  16. dastuff

dastuff Peon

Best Answers:
    I like having more posts than you over here :D

Even if i'm no where near your 15k at certain other places.

dastuff, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  17. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you really think he would admit .edu links are worth more if they where? It would create even more spammers.

jabb, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  18. bacanze

bacanze Peon

Best Answers:
    My thoughts exactly, well no one say it does or it doesnt, just a matter of opinions.

bacanze, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  19. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow. I think I missed the train. I should have signed up with some university to sell edu links on my webspace there. I cannot believe people are still falling for this crap.
    Of course a link from stanford.edu (frontpage) is worth more than a link from somecrapMFAsite.com but common why would a link from:
    someuniversity.edu/~gonzo/myedulinks.html be trustworthy (eg. have trustrank).
    There are a zillion of those out there and quite frankly I don't think google trusts gonzo.
    If you still believe that, you are welcome to waste your money on those links.
    Damn I should have put up a paid posting forum on one of those places.

andre75, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  20. teammatt3

teammatt3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh please...:rolleyes: Edu links give you way more trust than any other tld (save .mil, and .gov). Just because Matt Cutts said it doesn't mean it's true. He is just a puppet for Google's team (no offense). As jabb already pointed out, why would he go and tell SEOs that .edu links count for more? That would devalue .edu links even more and make them a prime target for spammers. By saying they don't count for more, he can trick people like you from seeking them out.

Even if you think what Cutts said is true, that doesn't mean they aren't worth more in Yahoo, MSN, or Ask.

teammatt3, Nov 15, 2006 IP