1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Did You Learn Web Design?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by m1ndless, Jul 9, 2010.

1. larssonk22

larssonk22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    about 5 years ago self taught through trial and error

larssonk22, Nov 19, 2010 IP
  2. moshecogan

moshecogan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just read the source of the websites you're on and play with it, eventually you'll know HTML !

moshecogan, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  3. ronc0011

ronc0011 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's it, just start building web pages and you will learn html and CSS pretty quickly.

Oh, and don't be afraid of Google. Google is your friend.

ronc0011, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  4. deutsched

deutsched Active Member

Best Answers:
    Analyzing codes on the sites I liked
    Along with tutorials of course

deutsched, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  5. skylineleong

skylineleong Peon

Best Answers:
    Learing from forum. Read the ebook of adobe.

skylineleong, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  6. Dolan

Dolan Peon

Best Answers:
    The Zen of CSS gave me a good insight into different website graphics and styles, an amazing book i've had for a few years now and i highly recommend it.

Dolan, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  7. Canyoudigit

Canyoudigit Peon

Best Answers:
    I went to school for it.

Canyoudigit, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  8. kodogijo

kodogijo Peon

Best Answers:
    Still learning until now.

And surprisingly, I found myself learning all about web design basics in Youtube much faster than just reading E-book or some tutorials from website..
    Well, just the very basic...

kodogijo, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  9. Alicia Terry

Alicia Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    I attended special courses of web-design where a talanted professor tought us! He gave us homeworks and cheacked it ))) The process of aducation was cool and I really miss those time! But with the help of them I learned design at a level of a professonal! :)

Alicia Terry, Apr 9, 2012 IP
  10. Vladorz

Vladorz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i was looking into websites source code and then i realised i can code... :))

Vladorz, Apr 10, 2012 IP
  11. TeamAwesome

TeamAwesome Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I actually learned the absolute basics at Uni, but it wasnt until my first graduate job that I had to take a crasj course via google looking for any andevery tutorial I could find, I then started to use w3c scgools to look up html and css tags and design through trial and error.

I generally draw up a design on paper, play with it, then maybe create a banner in photoshop/illustrator, then I create the html/css frame, add the banner, a menu, colour scheme, play with all of that to get a consistant design and then after thats its just tarting it up and validating.

There are many different methods to make a site, I find the best one to draw it up, make a banner/the main part first and build the rest around it. I dont like slicing too!

TeamAwesome, Apr 10, 2012 IP
  12. pixaworld

pixaworld Peon

Best Answers:
    Just use Dreamweaver for latest version.

pixaworld, Apr 10, 2012 IP
  13. MidwestGFX

MidwestGFX Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to modify codes and then i eventually learned how to make them myself. It took me about 2 years of modifying other people's codes so im sure i took the long way but it worked for me

MidwestGFX, Apr 10, 2012 IP
  14. ifandesign

ifandesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I would tend to agree with others here, personally I use dreamweaver but can easily see how it all seems a bit daunting to start with. The internet is a great source of snippets of code and tutorials. I've had some junior staff working with me in the past and when helping those, I've tried to guide that actually learning what each piece of code does is fundamental - its easy to copy and paste but if you don't dissect what you've copied its difficult to learn what you are really coding. For example find a small snippet, upload it, and then see what it does... but don't stop there, next start taking little pieces/putting them back and making small changes - that way, in time, you'll get to learn what each little piece is responsible for, gradually, over time, you'll find that you actually start writing the pieces yourself, specifically for what you envisage creating. It's much like learning a foreign language, to start with you can copy a few words, after a while string some sentences together and eventually create a conversation - it all takes time but the more you put in, the more your skills will grow. As with languages, there are many on offer, my advice would be to start with some basic html and css, as you start to learn those, future languages will start to make more sense, but get good at one language before trying to understand others, in time you can start implementing others but a solid foundation will stand you in good stead in the future. As you get a little further in, w3schools validator can be a good source for checking the quality standards of your coding and be a good source for fine tuning your code and adjusting slight errors.

ifandesign, Apr 10, 2012 IP
  15. war_machine

war_machine Active Member

Best Answers:
    I learnt from a mentor. But you can do it on several sites I know. But can't guarantee their services.
    www.2createawebsite.com
    webdesign.about.com
    Good luck.

war_machine, Apr 11, 2012 IP
  16. Install

Install Member

Best Answers:
    hey, thank you! i want to learn web design and these sites seem quite useful...

Install, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  17. jrevell

jrevell Peon

Best Answers:
    All my developers use notepad to do their coding. To be a decent developer you need to understand the basics and the minimum is css, html and some javascript and mysql databasing.

jrevell, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  18. RajaSekar

RajaSekar Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned web design using Dreamwaver in university. And learn more about web design by myself.

RajaSekar, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  19. jack1527

jack1527 Peon

Best Answers:
    i started with w3school and i used edit plus as my first editor, now working with dreamweaver

jack1527, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  20. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, the best way is to create your website from scratch using just html code and css style. HTML is pretty easy to learn and has limited number of tags to remember. I think CSS is more complicated and you need to take more attention to learn it.
    Using the templates is good but only for taking some elements from them like graphics elements and navigation styles, and take inspiration from them. I wanted to use the templates to build my website before but I had to make too changes in there to achieve what you want.
    I also use Dreamweaver but I write down code straightway and I use design side for just checking how my website looks like. Do not design by inserting elements into page on design site because Dreamweaver produces very bad code and often useless.

richardm55, Apr 25, 2012 IP