1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does DMOZ Only Accept Older Websites With Useful Content and Tons Of Backlinks?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gregdavidson, Apr 4, 2012.

I've submitted several websites to DMOZ in the past 7 years and not a single website has ever been listed. Some of my websites were quite useful but most were fairly new and hadn't been up that long. Many of my sites also had very few backlinks. One theory I've come up with is that Dmoz only accepts websites that are a certain age. Besides the age, I believe they also look at the usefulness of the content as well as the amount of backlinks that are going to the website. I think the quality of the backlinks is also another factor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

gregdavidson, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    jimnoble, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It just appears that they list only older websites due to the ODP being around for so long, and the fact it's been ages since they have actively been active in keeping the place up to date. Yes, they add newer sites, and they add many daily....though at the rate they are going it'll be years before new sites are as numerous as the older ones, and by that time the new ones will be old already, so really it's a vicious circle of aging.

Jim is correct though, editors use a different set of rules then that of the suggester, neither of which imply that a site must be aged (however, a brand new site may not make it in as many NEW sites don't stick around, this especially applies to forums & blogs, though is not expressly written in the rules).

Qryztufre, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  4. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your question is unintentionally funny. It does indeed look like DMOZ only accepts hijacked, dead, or twelve year old sites because there's only a smattering of editors left "working" on this moribund relic from 1998, and the web is a humongous beast that breathes and lives fire. Sites evolve, change hands, are destroyed, re-built, and abandoned. Constantly. There is no way that the rag tag band of "editors" have a chance of ever keeping up with that, with the result that DMOZ is a laughable, pathetic collection of legacy websites, hijacks, and a permanent cemetery for geocities and angelfire corpses. It's a domain name museum for everything else.

Hey that's why we have the matching fire-breathing beast that is GOOGLEBOT. Only bots powered by brilliant algorithms can keep up with the web, and they do a superb job at that. I've noticed that some of my new graphics show up on Google images within 15 minutes of being published! Projected waiting time for your DMOZ submission is 15 YEARS.

This being said, a DMOZ link is absolutely worthless, concentrate your effort on something worthwhile, like a cool beer.

helleborine, Apr 5, 2012 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.