1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Over-optimization can damage?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sabyc200, Mar 28, 2012.

Hello!

According to various webmasters , google now penalizes over-optimization. What do you think about this? Do you guys think it's true? I wonder what over-optimized could be defined. Having a few keywords, a title , a META description and and alt element could be over-optimization?

sabyc200, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  2. DanishLinks

DanishLinks Peon

Best Answers:
    Overoptimization is when your site no longer seems naturally, like if you in the buttom of the content post a lot of keywords.

Example:

Content about how i sell links in Denmark

End of real CONTENT

Danish links, exchange danish links, where to buy danish links, really good danish links, cheap danish links, etc.

That's a kind of over optimization, because keyword in text is really good, but when you just put in a lots of keywords. You doesn't optimize correctly.

Instead of that shit, you could make some lines in the content like: "Is hard to get really good danish links, but i will help you get Danish links, they at not just cheap links, but helpfully. Also we offer link exchanges"

But be carefully! It's better to have five under pages with one keyword each site, than one site with five keywords. When having many under pages, you'll also have to make internal links.

Also over optimization like this can been done in the META-tags.

DanishLinks, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  3. sabyc200

sabyc200 Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting point. I've been trying some SEO techniques with my site and found the if I put alt element to all the images (i have a lot of images) is worse then putting alt elements to only one image.

4. Hoppus

Hoppus Member

Best Answers:
    yeah just imagine alt element attributes to be just another place to add in the keyword, so keep keyword density in mind. and meta tags are another thing you can easily over-optimize. which is why (from what i hear) google has stopped reading them. only yahoo, possibly bing, does now.

Hoppus, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  5. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    Google actually has a blog which post most of these types of changes as well as the details of how they changes can effect you. It is a good service to keep your eye on because as many of us know, if you don't run with the changes than you will roll with the punches it can create for your ranking. I had not heard about the meta tags being ignored by Google but if bing and yahoo are still looking at them I would not change that tactic. I think keyword density should run around 20% but there could be some element about the density and the location of the keywords. It is difficult to keep up but good forums generally are a great source to get the latest on the newest updates for Google.

JPC-Sabrina, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  6. sabyc200

sabyc200 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, I did not heard anything about Google ignoring alt attribute but giving the fact that nobody knows exactly how Google works it just might be that it ignores alt attribute. I've read Google Guidelines when I first started SEO , been trying to follow them , so far none of the Pandas affected me but on the other side none of the sites are very old and did not had the "chance" to turn them into link farms and so on.

Regarding Meta Tags - I don't use the keyword tag anymore (all major search engines ignore it) . I just write the meta Description and for 140 - 150 chars I put the keyword only once..
    With keyword density it's another thing since , when writing texts , it's hard to put a certain density and keep the text readable ...

7. aeomedia

aeomedia Member

Best Answers:
    keyword stuffing... this is the over Optimization...

for meta tag, don't use tag anymore.

aeomedia, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  8. jewel3000

jewel3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that by "over-optimization," Google is referring to "keyword stuffing." Problem is, I think they're in the process of redefining what "keyword stuffing" is.

Many web writers use the rule that 1.5% - 2% of your words should be keywords. Google's starting to talk like that's using a keyword too much, and they'll bury your webpage if you repeat this much.

According to the Wall St. Journal, Google's going more toward "semantic search" and LSI keywording. We have a blog post about this "less optimized," more natural way of writing here: Write Web Content Like a Semantic Search Ninja.

This blog post includes a video by Matt Cutts of Google, where he reveals his philosophy about over-optimizing...

jewel3000, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  9. carlhenson

carlhenson Peon

Best Answers:
    Anything that is over usually can damage.

Google is just trying to make things better for the users experience.

carlhenson, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  10. Abbey14

Abbey14 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it has a great damage if you over optimize a certain site. Especially in the mode of link building. Over submission of link building can damage your site because sometimes Google can ban or block your site once you bombard it in with over submission of link building.

Abbey14, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  11. azharSEO

azharSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes Over Optimization can Damage, I think in off page work more link submission is Over Optimization.

azharSEO, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  12. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No. The optimizaton will not damage your site, it is all about quality. The only way to damage your site is the quality such as keyword spamming, more than 80% of the backlink are crap backlink etc

lifeplayer, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  13. sabyc200

sabyc200 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not even the META description tag?

14. arenabd

arenabd Peon

Best Answers:
    I think over optimization means: In contact don't post more keyword, In Meta title don't use one word more.

arenabd, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  15. sabyc200

sabyc200 Peon

Best Answers:
    Part of Google alg. is about link building ... I don't think link submission can be bad , of course if you submit in your niche.

16. indiannews007

indiannews007 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I am happy to read this helpful and informative post about over optimization for site.

indiannews007, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  17. highweb

highweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Having few keywords would not be over optimized, first check your competitors in the Google first page result and compare the keyword density of your website with their websites.

You will find the answer.

highweb, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  18. sabyc200

sabyc200 Peon

Best Answers:
    The Youtube video with Matt Cutts speaking is VERY interesting ... it's funny how he explains rather complicated things in just a few words (probably this is why he's working at G. ) .

Anyway , I think it's more of an empirical guessing game with SEO >

sabyc200, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  19. praveentbsind

praveentbsind Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly Google now penalizing over optimized websites. like using maximum keywords on home page. better not to use more then 8 keywords.

praveentbsind, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  20. sabyc200

sabyc200 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think LSI will be the next challenge for us to tackle on ... for example I write some of my own texts and i use several companies for writing texts because every individual using the same writing techniques still thinks different . But that's only part of the game...

sabyc200, Mar 30, 2012 IP