1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Being paid to lie - What say you?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Senobia, Jul 8, 2011.

1. 913imer

913imer Member

Best Answers:
    Yes customer reviews do change potential buyers. When I buy things on amazon I always look at the comments left by customers and sometimes it is a deal breaker. Personal morality or what ever you wanna call it, what's right is right. Just put yourself in the position of the customer being deceived. It's messed up.

913imer, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  2. tom.jeraldino

tom.jeraldino Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have actually put myself in the customer's shoes, therefore I wrote what I wrote, just using by personal experience as a buyer. I never trust others' reviews, just because we're all different as personalities, and even if I read that some goods are great, I'd never be that naiive to believe.

I might rely on my friends' feedback towards the product, but this is it

tom.jeraldino, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  3. 913imer

913imer Member

Best Answers:
    No matter what way you try to justify it, it is still dishonest. Whether you think people should or should not pay attention to customer reviews is your opinion. The fact of the matter is that they are important. Why would someone pay you for something that is not important or something that would not benefit their business. A good business doesn't need to fabricate reviews. They will earn them through the value that they give their customers. BTW one i in naive.

913imer, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use reviews all the time. The pair of pants that over 50% of the reviewers said shrunk - will probably shrink since I hate fussing with laundry. The model train scenery kit that has the lovely picture on the box but is light on the description - another pass after a reviewer explained that the kit was only for the terrain and it would cost almost 3 times more to replicate what the box implies is included.

On the other side of the scale, the restaurant review from a California food snob who said the food at a local North Carolina eatery was bland and boring, we ignored. The meal was everything he said it wasn't.

Guess my family's all just naive but we use reviews all the time. We follow some and ignore others. We usually do fairly well. It's like everything on the web - use a critical eye to help discern the truth from the bull.

Fake reviews stand out, often due to their poor grammar and spelling. Even the well-written ones are usually obvious.

YMC, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  5. Ericaairie

Ericaairie Peon

Best Answers:
    You did the right thing. Unfortunately some business people are wrongly accused of these fraudulent activities like posting reviews on products and other unethical activities. FTC regulates these wrong doings but how about doing bad deeds within the lawmakers themselves?

Ericaairie, Dec 3, 2011 IP
  6. Rohail Enterprise

Rohail Enterprise Member

Best Answers:
    A very ethical decision made by you.. Applause.

Rohail Enterprise, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  7. tom.jeraldino

tom.jeraldino Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for pointing out the misprints, it's very kind of you) as for what you've said, I'm not really interested in arguing, you are as free to utter your opinion as much as I'm free to utter mine , right? Still. no matter how moral we would like the business world to be, it can hardly ever be so, that's for sure

tom.jeraldino, Dec 5, 2011 IP
  8. bondut

bondut Peon

Best Answers:
    i totally agree with you, good decision

bondut, Dec 7, 2011 IP
  9. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    An eMarketer survey showed that 92% of US internet users read online reviews. 46% were influenced to purchase products by reviews, and 43% were influenced not to. But only 3% of users said that they were unaffected by the reviews. It's pretty normal that companies want to have more than 10 positive reviews. IMHO

Sam Gilmore, Mar 26, 2012 IP
    geegel likes this.
  10. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    "What profitith a man if he gain the world but loseth his soul?" You made an ethical decision to go with self respect as opposed to mercenary gain......well done.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 26, 2012 IP