1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paying someone to help my dad out with religion

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by miketh2005, Mar 11, 2012.

1. miketh2005

miketh2005 Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the advice. And I never reveal their names or anything. It's completely anonymous, so that's irrelevant. Thanks.

miketh2005, Mar 12, 2012 IP
  2. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mormonism is so obviously a racket set up by a charlatan that there is little hope for anyone who bough in to it in the first place. If your father is the type of person to believe something so obviously fraudulent there little chance of anyone reasoning him out of it.

Joseph Smith dictated the book of mormon to someone else by translating what was written on golden plates (which nobody else was allowed to look at) in a language only he could decipher. that mans wife then told the man to pretend he has lost the papers he had written it on to see if Joseph smith could recite it again. Surely if he was translating some golden plates the text would be at least similar, right? Wrong, the text was completely different. Even then people were exposing him. As he was actually pulling the con, he was exposed as a fraudster.

The story continues with Joseph smiths mother telling how he wrapped the gold plates in linen, tucked them under his arm and started his 3 mile walk home. Given the dimensions by joseph smith for the stack of plates (6x8x6 inches) it would have weighed around 200lb. It gets better. On the way home some people attempted to rob him, so what did he do with this 200lb block of gold tucked under his arm? He RAN through the woods.

To believe this obvious nonsense is to have given up on rational thought.

stOx, Mar 15, 2012 IP
  3. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Stox, his father is a Jehovah's Witness.

Rebecca, Mar 15, 2012 IP
  4. miketh2005

miketh2005 Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah... lol.

Maybe he thought they were both the same.

miketh2005, Mar 15, 2012 IP
  5. kaethy

kaethy Guest

Best Answers:
    You should leave your fathers beliefs alone. I dislike the JW as much as anyone, but unless he is actually causing harm to others you should not take an active role in unconverting him.

Instead you could show by your own example, leading a moral life as an atheist.

So far, you have not impressed me, trying to change his beliefs, trying to hire someone to change his beliefs, ick.

What about you? Is there something about yourself that you could focus on improving instead? That might have more effect on him, and you would be a better person.

kaethy, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  6. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Maybe. :) I was looking at what's called "Exit Counseling." It's when an intervention is planned to convince someone to leave a cult. At the bottom of that link, Rick Ross was listed as one of the references. I was checking out the intervention area of his site. It's geared towards hiring him to do an intervention, but his prices are outrageous. Still, the information might give you ideas on how to do it yourself. He also has a message board. Among other things it says an intervention is a "... discussion and dialogue, a review of the history and practices of a group/leader. This often includes looking through documentation such as news articles, media reports, court records and/or literature about a group/leader..." I would start by considering the destructive practices, what convinced you to leave, what are the inconsistencies. Have that clear in your mind. Then, make decisions from there. I don't know how much help you're going to get on this in a webmaster forum. Maybe create a thread asking for help on there message board (but I wouldn't mention money at all). Just my opinion, it seems like there will come a time when you'll need to tell your father. He'll probably be expecting you to marry another JW, raise the kids that way, and so on...

Rebecca, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  7. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    He does not have to explain anything. It is YOU who has to present the evidence. And once you there , don't stop and explain the jump to the bible, bejesus and all christian paraphernalia. Personally I suggest starting your own sect, since you will be the very first person who had ever done that.

thesickearth, Mar 18, 2012 IP
  8. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I suggest you get some chillthefrakout pills since you're loosing it . What I was doing was the simple mathematical method to consider a statement false in order to determine if it's true nature . I guess that in your mind mathematics are inferior to rants :rolleyes:

ApocalypseXL, Mar 18, 2012 IP
  9. thesickearth

Best Answers:
    You haven't used any mathematical method. You just burped out some random numbers that got nothing to do with anything. Furthermore, if your bible is worth a damn then the Universe is 5-6000 years old. So it isn't. Get over it and move on.

10. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    ROLF . It's really funny seeing your fanaticism makes you deny reality . If you think the calculations are false start computing you only need some good hours some knowledge of physics , organic chemistry , evolutionary biology and history . Also would you like to demonstrate where the Bible says that the universe is ~6000 years old ?

ApocalypseXL, Mar 18, 2012 IP
  11. thesickearth

Best Answers:
    What " calculations''? Once again you are the one who needs to prove the existence of your imaginary friend, not me or anybody else. And please do not foget a link between all that crapola and bible along with the jesus oh-lordy christ.

As for the age of the universe, there are plenty of THEISTIC scholars who did all that job already hundreds of years ago. I'm surprised you've never heard of them.

12. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Right here's some basic math to help you understand : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_contradiction#Other . When you understand the 6th grade math then you can move on to probability and statistics and then maybe you can understand that simple calculation and why it is relevant :D

Also "THEISTIC scholars" ? LOL priests are just priests , if one of them decides to pursue scientific research it doesn't mean that his theories and ideas are exempt from trial via the scientific method . I'm surprised you even bring them up . The Bible isn't a complete instruction manual for man kind if God intended it to be so he could have just planted it in our genetic code .

ApocalypseXL, Mar 19, 2012 IP
  13. thesickearth

Best Answers:
    Ok , and which ass did you pull your numbers from?

thesickearth, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  14. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you joking? You claim here that you know about computers, yet you don't know how to search this forum? We've discussed the Entropy Proof, the Consciousness Proof, the Social Mind proof. But, you are good with computers, as you are so fond of reminding us.

So, you go ahead and find those proofs yourself, then come back here and ask any questions. After all, there seems to be SO much you do NOT understand...

Or maybe he's just here to promote another forum.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    Corwin, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  15. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    There hasn't been any proof posted here.

Rebecca, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  16. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just because you can't find it doesn't mean it hasn't been posted. How hard did you look?

Corwin, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  17. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Religion (existence of a deity) is based on faith, there is no proof.

Rebecca, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  18. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Sciences ass .

ApocalypseXL, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  19. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure of your definition of "proof". Science proves all sorts of things by indirect observation.

Corwin, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  20. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    My definition of proof, is evidence that absolutely establishes something as a fact.

Rebecca, Mar 20, 2012 IP