1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory script?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ForumKorner, Feb 16, 2012.

1. edvvardbrian

edvvardbrian Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure you want it for free? Maybe you could outsource the project for some money and set up a unique, higher quality product instead.

edvvardbrian, Feb 26, 2012 IP
  2. ForumKorner

ForumKorner Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I am going to for sure go with a free one before I put massive amount of money into it. I just want to get it up, and going than I will slowly make it better, and better, and after a little while I will make it superb.

ForumKorner, Feb 27, 2012 IP
  3. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is often a bad sign, someone not willing to even front up a little money at the beginning, it doesn't require a big investment, a ready made script, domain and hosting are minimal.

pipes, Feb 27, 2012 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bad move to kick someone who can help your directory succeed. He stated what many here feel about these useless threads.

If you had truly been doing your homework about building a directory, you would have known Silencer is one of the foremost supporters of directory owners. He is someone who has been involved with directories almost since before the two leading scripts were developed.

Your plans don't appear to include anything unique enough to drive your script decision. You've mentioned nothing that would require any sort of customizations. As has been said, any script will do for you.

Had you read the stickies and had a specific question about the available scripts, I guarantee you that you would have received a very different response from everyone. When even one of the script owners tells you to read the stickies, you should realize that you made a mistake with your approach.

YMC, Feb 27, 2012 IP
  5. ForumKorner

ForumKorner Peon

Best Answers:
    That is fine with for you to think I also completely understand, and when I give out lessons to people I also say the same thing, and suggest them not to do this. However in my case I am pretty broke, and don't have hundreds to put into a directory that I am unsure as to whether it will be successful or not as I have never done a directory before. I will buy hosting, and have already bought a premium domain. I also am going to pay for alot of SEO work as well which is by far the most expensive part in making a website. Which can be in the thousands easily. Like I said if I had money I could just throw away I would but buying the best script when I know nothing about directories in my eyes would be a terrible decision. I am not some person that is planing to use free hosting, script, and domain, and than not even put time into it. I would put alot of time into it unlike most people that fail, and get everything free, and spend no time on their projects.

If this was a useful thread I would be infracted, and the thread would be deleted rather than it being up for what 2 weeks now. You and him both just like kicking the new guy in town from what I can see. It kinda bs if you ask me.

ForumKorner, Feb 27, 2012 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This area is DP is virtually unmoderated as are several others. That's why there's so many solicitations in the wrong place. Infractions, deleted threads and bannings are rare in the Directories section. That is the biggest piece of BS around here.

Members have asked for threads like this to be deleted and we are virtually ignored. A lot of the top directory owners don't even read this forum anymore.

I'll reiterate that you better do a bit more homework. Learn who Dan is and how much he has given back to directory owners. Go visit his forum and read his posts here. Then if you still think he likes kicking new guys around, so be it. I've done more than my fair share of advice giving and hand-holding on this forum and so has Pipes. We've even been known to try and protect idiots from themselves but then again some people are just unwilling to listen.

Everyone is sick and tired of seeing people come here and ask the same questions that have been asked a thousand times before. You are far from the first who has proclaimed that you will create a quality site even though you are not willing to spend money on the software to run it. The most popular scripts are less than $100. Not cheap, but certainly worth having.

Go ahead and join the hordes that don't think they need a paid script or the support of other directory owners.

Somehow I don't think you'll be claiming those featured listings that have been offered to you.

YMC, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by a premium domain? I can understand your financial situation but if you dont have much to invest at the start then it will be an even longer wait before the directory begins to bring in money that im guessing is where you will get the funds to spend on SEO that you talk of.

SEO can take a lot of your time and zero money if you want.

pipes, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  8. ForumKorner

ForumKorner Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry I didn't use the search button my bad. But I wanted a straight up answer for my exact question rather than some random persons. I don't see why you think just literally just because I won't start out with a paid script my directory will guaranteed be unsuccessful. I honestly think its quite funny, and it will be a pleasure when I prove you wrong. I am not some retard. I know what I am doing fairly well. Not so much in the directory's department. But I must say I know website management to a T. As well as getting a forum active, and my SEO guy is literally the best I have ever seen. I honestly am unsure if there is anyone better than my guy. I also would like to say that one of my main forums is a free script, and its more active, and successful than ALOT of any forums out there. So you saying that using a free script and having a successful site is impossible is straight bullshit. If you would like to see some of the websites I own I will happily private message you them. I think once you check out how many successful sites I have you will more than likely change you mind as well as attitude against me. One more thing I should add is that my free forum script that I am using on my successful forum doesn't look anything like the default theme, or templates. So with a little time, and effort any script can look good, if not better than any paid script.

No I have income coming in from other domains of mine which I will pay with that. Premium domain means my domains is better than just the average domain that people buy. Mine has meaning, and has the main keywords I will rank for as its domain. Which will really help. Its also easy to remember unlike most.

ForumKorner, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think you're making things up there, theres nothing better about your domain, i think you're in for a few suprises if you even reach the stage of doing what you say you will, sounds like you think your directory will stand out from the thousands already out there.

Really, unless you have something disruptive to the directory business, which is clear that you dont then you will have a mediocre directory at best.

pipes, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  10. ForumKorner

ForumKorner Peon

Best Answers:

Whatever you are just in a negative atmosphere. It is clear that you cannot think positive in any situation that is brought to you. I will prove you wrong when the time is right.

ForumKorner, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Lol, you so dont know me :) ive had directories since 2007, i know how hard it is, when people are trying to warn you of the challenges that you face it might be worth taking note.

You sound like some people that appear on a UK tv program, when asked about their business they always say they really believe in what they are doing or trying to do.

Forget all this i will prove you wrong nonsense, you're actually getting advice.

pipes, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  12. shan1977

shan1977 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You need to check sticky thread in this directory section.

shan1977, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  13. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    *** These two don't go well - If you have the most successful forum with a free script - How can you be broke..

Not sure where you stand?

Looks like a lot tra*h

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    stock_post, Mar 1, 2012 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  14. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Who told you that, your SEO chap? Absolute rubbish concerning web directories, you can get an off-the-shelf script ready optimised take some time to work out how to optimise it for your own needs and rank very well, that's what I did and I rank #1 of 176000000 results for 'blog directory'.

syted, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  15. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I spoke to a moderator, they said I should report the thread.

I was going to leave it, but you obviously aren't interested in listening, so I've reported the thread. I've made it clear that the reason why these threads should be deleted is because they already exist in their hundreds. You've asked no new questions.

So I will repeat again. Go and read the sticky threads before posting. Learn forum etiquette. Listen to people that have already answered these questions a billion times, and stop acting like a spoilt brat that thinks he/she is entitled and can circumvent the rules, that everyone else has no problems following.

You made a mistake, no one would hold that against you, but to then act like a petulant child because you were pulled up on it, is why we don't like these threads being created. You were in the wrong, we corrected you nicely, then you acted like a child. Get over it.

silencer, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  16. ThePassiveIncomeBlog

ThePassiveIncomeBlog Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am using LBS (Link bid Script) for my two sites. performance is very good.

ThePassiveIncomeBlog, Mar 2, 2012 IP
  17. ForumKorner

ForumKorner Peon

Best Answers:
    I really appreciate your actual feedback on the question that I am asking. As apparently no one else can do so. I am checking that script out right now. I might just use it, it looks great.

ForumKorner, Mar 2, 2012 IP
  18. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously? Lol

pipes, Mar 20, 2012 IP