1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

best viral marketing examples you've seen?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by disgust, Nov 8, 2006.

1. clenard

clenard Active Member

Best Answers:
    As I do tend to agree with incentives being 'okay' in Viral Marketing -- I don't believe that Steve Jurvetson truly came up with the term Viral Marketing as I've heard others use it years before him. I can also state that the "Definition" (although it varies somewhat) does not limit Viral Marketing to the web, as some keep hinting.

Honestly, the best uses of Viral Marketing never happened on the Web. ;)

clenard, Nov 12, 2006 IP
  2. Anteros

Anteros Peon

Best Answers:
    Best viral marketer was jesus.

Think about it, promising eternal life in exchange of spreading the word. In the meantime, he gave free reports :p

Anteros, Nov 12, 2006 IP
    necromanc likes this.
  3. mudnik

mudnik Peon

Best Answers:
    This viral marketing campaign was launched 2 days ago and has already received 20,000+ registered users.

The author pays you $1 for every visitor you send him that downloads his report. He pays out on 2 levels so if you send him 10 visitors and they each send him 10 visitors, you earn a cool $100.

I wonder whether Mike Filsaime underestimated the power of his viral marketing campaign; he might very well have overpaid for it. Anyway, with profits of $200,000+/month from his online business, he should have no problems paying for this campaign. Not forgetting the campaign will only be running for about 2 weeks. Any longer than that and probably even Bill Gates can't afford to pay. :)

Footnote: The site takes a while to load because of servers being stretched to the max!

mudnik, Nov 12, 2006 IP
  4. ye.zero

ye.zero Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone who didn't believe in Jesus or contradicted the views of the church from 0BC onwards was basically burnt at the stake, jailed, tortued, threatened, hung or executed by chrisitianity enthusiasts of the time.

So no, it's not really considered viral marketing.

ye.zero, Nov 12, 2006 IP
  5. sterlingpixel

sterlingpixel Peon

Best Answers:
    best one ive seen recently (well this year anyway) is lastfm

sterlingpixel, Nov 12, 2006 IP
  6. Anteros

Anteros Peon

Best Answers:
    That's because he sold his business to microsoft for billions

:D

Anteros, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  7. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    MySpace website marketing is pretty viral. Their service is used for gifs and images which link back to their website and so on, it's pretty smart. I bet the first people were making big bucks before the market was so saturated.

checksum, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  8. NouvativePR

NouvativePR Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahaha hahahahaa! Hilarious.

When you say best viral marketing, you mean marketing that caused the media to mention it, people to talk about it with their friends.. and their friends mention it to their friends? Marketing that gives people conversation ammo?

Although it was a flop, and most people I know had no intention of seeing it, the movie Snakes on a Plane's "Get a call from Samuel L. Jackson" campaign had a major viral effect most films can only wish for. This is where Samuel Jackson calls your phone, with the Caller I.D. of the person who sent it to you, and pokes fun at you (says your name), and asks you to see the movie.

The media was talking about it, people were playing pranks on their friends with the campaign. People in the streets laughed and giggled.

-jimmy-

NouvativePR, Nov 13, 2006 IP
    necromanc likes this.
  9. hallelujah7

hallelujah7 Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but Jesus never wanted that. Didn't you see what he said to the Pharisees. Look at the story of Paul and the pharisees stoning Stephen. Jesus doesn't condone or accept the human violence of midieval religion's pervertedness. It's just out of the question.

hallelujah7, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  10. ckim06

ckim06 Peon

Best Answers:
    Who remembers paypal's free $5 for new accounts?

ckim06, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  11. Tilt0matic

Tilt0matic Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a good one-Dummies Book Cover Generator

(Don't be alarmed by the Smoke420 domain, it's 100% work safe. They offer MySpace themed layouts)

Tilt0matic, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Shame you have to wade through so many ads to find the example. They blew it, I reckon.

sarahk, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  13. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Special Edition Mini Cooper used http://www.aveaword.com/ shame it's not available anymore, but essentially, you made a few selections then entered someone else's email to send them a video. Then they got a video with the guy pretty much insulting them by name, mentioning their occupation, taking the piss out of their bad habit or body type and taking the piss out of where they are from (it was only uk regions) and a few other things. Someone sent me one and it was really weird getting such a personalised mashup video from some guy insulting me and telling me I'm probably not man enough to buy the Mini.

First thing I thought was, now I know what viral marketing is because there is no way I'm not sending this to all my mates so the guy can insult the hell out of them too.

Dominic, Jan 4, 2007 IP