1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Amazon Cloudfront ideal for hosting video and image files?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by pipes, Feb 24, 2012.

Hi, im yet to go through the info available from amazon properly, i see they offer various cloud services.

I would like to ask: is amazon cloudfront ideal for hosting lots of video and image files?

I dont mind admitting i need to do a fair bit of reading about cloud hosting, slightly overwhelmed by whats out there and need to get my head around the differences of cloud hosting compared to other types.

pipes, Feb 24, 2012 IP
    mentos likes this.
  2. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any VPS or dedicated server should be fine for you (and cheaper). You don't need cloud hosting for what you are trying to do.

WSWD, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  3. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Had time to read a bit about AWS today, their prices seem ultra cheap though for bandwidth and storage, plus my intentions are based around a web application, ive also read that because of the differences with cloud infrastructure that its better to know if i will be using cloud hosting before having something built and hosted on vps or dedicated then later deciding to move it to the cloud, which might cause problems.

Plus it appeals to me that its more or less pay as you go.

I understand now that cloudfront is for content delivery.

pipes, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just to note, CloudFront is NOT Amazon's cloud hosting platform. It is simply a content delivery network. You still need a server, and then purchase cloudfront separately. Their cloud hosting can be found here: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ Sounds like you might be getting slightly confused by the two.

Not sure where you read that, but it's entirely incorrect. You can freely move between VPS/Dedicated/Cloud, etc. anytime you like. It's just a matter of migrating the data.

WSWD, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:

No i was explaining in my reply to you that i now understand that cloudfront is for content delivery/data transfer and as you say the server and storage is purchased from one of the other services that they offer, at the start of the day i didn't know this but ive spent hours reading today and got my head around cloud hosting, especially aws.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    pipes, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  6. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ahhhhhhh okay. I misunderstood that. Just wanted to make sure you weren't confused, as I've seen quite a few people simply purchase CDN space/bandwidth, and think that it will cover their actual hosting as well.

Good deal.

WSWD, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I started the day confused yesterday ;) i do appreciate that you brought attention to what you did.

pipes, Feb 25, 2012 IP