1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Search engines are indexing my Privacy Policy and About Us pages, how do I stop that?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by colbyleeross, Feb 23, 2012.

Hello, my website is at http://www.ios-source.com, and the title of the site is iOS-Source.

If you search for "iOS-Source" in Google, it shows me as the second link on the first page, which is pretty good considering a week ago it didn't show up on the first page at all and this site has only been around for a month. If you search for "ios-source.com" in Google, it comes up with my site as the first link, then after that it has my Privacy Policy and then my About Us page. I do not want those two pages to appear in any search engine. How do I stop them from being indexed by Google and other search engines?

Thanks in a advance.

colbyleeross, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  2. edgarallen

edgarallen Peon

Best Answers:
    Just use the code below for each page you want to keep private.

<html> <head> <title>...</title> [B]<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">[/B] </head> 
    Code (markup):

edgarallen, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  3. Crimson Penguin

Crimson Penguin Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you want search engines to stop indexing those pages? Why not just set a lower priority level for those pages in your sitemap. To be honest, as long as your home page is ranking higher than your privacy policy and about us page in serps, I really don't see a problem here. Besides, having more than one page come up for a search term just means more chance for people to click on your site.

Crimson Penguin, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  4. Crimson Penguin

Crimson Penguin Peon

Best Answers:
    P.s. How many people are actually going to search 'ios-source.com' in google anyway? You probably need to look at your keyword strategy if this is one of your main keywords. If someone knows ios-source.com they will type that in the address bar, not search for it in a search engine! A quick search on google keyword tool shows no traffic volume for the keyword 'ios-source.com'.

Crimson Penguin, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  5. adell50

adell50 Peon

Best Answers:
    You may also include these pages in your robots.txt file.

Google uses the inclusion and use of a robotos.txt file as a signal.

If might be a good idea to have the pages you are referencing be indexed though. Perhaps just give them a lesser priority in your sitemap.xml file so google doesn't give them so much credit.

Feel free to ask if I should elaborate at all.

adell50, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  6. sophia123789

sophia123789 Peon

Best Answers:
    Use NoFollow / NoIndex code for that as mention above....This would disallow crawler to follow that link.

sophia123789, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  7. Smaddy

Smaddy Member

Best Answers:
    I have a question regarding indexind pages like : Contact Us, Privacy Policy,About Us...Page.

I have read this somewhere but i didn't remember where because it was long time ago and i only had copy/and paste the original source to a file.txt in my PC:

I always have indexed those pages in My Sites and would love to know if this can be useful to not index them regarding the explanation above...

Thanks
    Regards..

Smaddy, Mar 14, 2012 IP