1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keep external harddrive plugged in?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Danaldinho, Feb 22, 2012.

Hey,

I just bought an external harddrive for my iMac. I am wondering can I just place all of my work on the external harddrive and then unplug it? Or should I keep it plugged in to my iMac all the time?

The reason I bought it was so I can transfer work between my iMac and laptop, and so I can backup my work every month. But now I have been reading that I should keep it plugged in to my iMac whenever am I using it.

So anyone have any better knowledge for me? Can I just plug it in when I want to use it, or should I keep it plugged in all the time?

Thanks

Danaldinho, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  2. Deji

Deji Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well its better to unplug it when you are not using it, especially when u shut down the computer. This is because the computer may try to boot from it. Also, u save on energy and prolong its life because it is not running hot always.

Deji, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  3. socialfancentral.com

socialfancentral.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Deji. I only plug mine in when I need it, I've been doing this for over 2 years and have not had any problems at all.

socialfancentral.com, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  4. Andy01

Andy01 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It is recommended to unplug External Hard Drive after you shut down machine and re-attach it to system once it is started. Saves power and start-up time!

Andy01, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  5. ericksteve

ericksteve Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not necessary to always plugged it in. You can plug in whenever you want to share some data between Laptop and iMac.

ericksteve, Mar 7, 2012 IP
  6. josefaryan

josefaryan Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's better to plug in the drive whenever we need to use it. It may give more life to the drive.

josefaryan, Mar 7, 2012 IP