1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by urbandrinking, Feb 13, 2012.

I signed up to so many directories months ago, some signed me up instantly and a lot I am still on the waiting list to be approved. Now the ones that have approved us have a pretty good reputation but I am seeing Zero traffic even after months. Is this going to change in time which I have been expecting? Or is this how it is going to remain.... Anyone who has a similar situation let me know!

urbandrinking, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You don't sign up to directories for the traffic... they are for link juice.

Once upon a time people searched for resources on the major directories but these days search engines have taken that role over completely.

sarahk, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  3. MikeLugar

MikeLugar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try focusing on another method to gain traffic such as gaining organic search engine traffic, social networking, articles, etc. Directories won't get you traffic.

MikeLugar, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  4. psychicmystery

psychicmystery Active Member

Best Answers:
    so directories are useless now?

psychicmystery, Feb 14, 2012 IP
  5. sameer_max

sameer_max Active Member

Best Answers:
    Directory submissions are not a useless method but in fact they are the best methods to build one-way links to your website. Thousands of webmasters across the globe and SEO agencies use this trusted method to build backlinks to their website. Apart from this social bookmarking, article submissions, guest blogging, forum posting etc are some other popular methods.

sameer_max, Feb 14, 2012 IP
  6. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Directory submission does bring traffic to your website by means of increasing your placement of the search engines. So the answer to your question is YES, directories are still useful.

This forum search feature is also useful and you should try using it, your question has been asked and answered many times.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  7. webdev007

webdev007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Directory submission in not worthless. Just see this forum has dedicated section for discussion about directory submissions etc. But running after the number of submissions you should try a little hard to find out the good and relevant ones based on your niche.

webdev007, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  8. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    If you focus on niche directories you'll have a better chance of getting hits back to your site from the directory. Many of them are well indexed in Google. But as others have already mentioned the largest benefit from directories is the link juice. Here's an experiment I did where the only link building I did was with web directories. It shows the hits from referrals (some web directories) as well as the search engine hits. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2172178

freelistfool, Feb 20, 2012 IP
  9. shan1977

shan1977 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You won't get any traffic from directory listing. Directory listing are used only for gaining google page rank.

shan1977, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  10. kevin_mumbai

kevin_mumbai Peon

Best Answers:
    what if directories are not of high page rank...........will google consider it and do i get benefit by submitting

kevin_mumbai, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  11. IndexedResults

IndexedResults Guest

Best Answers:
    Have your search engine rankings increased for your keywords / anchor text you submitted?

IndexedResults, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  12. edvvardbrian

edvvardbrian Member

Best Answers:
    Usually people don't get listed into directories in order to receive traffic. What's important is the link-juice it gives you (given that they are quality directories). A little traffic from them is just a nice bonus :D

edvvardbrian, Feb 26, 2012 IP
  13. icegin

icegin Peon

Best Answers:
    ^ This. There are plenty of better methods to draw in traffic -- directory submission, while not at all useless, is a more of a supporting method (which may or may not help when it comes to generating traffic) that shouldn't be at all relied on exclusively.

icegin, Feb 27, 2012 IP
  14. Kelley2011

Kelley2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good thinking.. g.gif

Kelley2011, Feb 27, 2012 IP