1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

301 redirect transfer domain age

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by seowork12, Feb 13, 2012.

i have a new site only 30 days old and would like to add some some authority to it if i where to purchase an aged domain name and do a 301 redirect to the newsite i would this pass age to the new domain name ?

seowork12, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  2. Alexander P.

Alexander P. Peon

Best Answers:
    You won't pass the age of the domain to another when you redirect it. It will only pass the link juice / the authority that the domain is receiving, going to the new domain where you have redirected it

Alexander P., Feb 13, 2012 IP
  3. mhovingh

mhovingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What Alexander P. said is correct. No age pass (that is tied directly to a domain) but traffic and link juice get passed with a 301.

One thing that can help young domains, with their age issue, is to register the domain for more than just 1 year. You are showing a commitment to having the site be around a long time by registering it for at least a few years.

mhovingh, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  4. seowork12

seowork12 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hi if i where to register the domain name lets say for an additional 2 years would this help prevent my site from getting sand boxed ?

seowork12, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  5. Days

Days Peon

Best Answers:
    Most likely not. Your best bet for a young domain is to simply use the 301 and to get a longer registration period. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Days, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  6. mhovingh

mhovingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are already planning on running the site for a long time, then paying for the first few years up front is a decent choice. The impact will be minimal, when looking at other things that impact where a site ranks, but it is worthwhile to do it for a new site that you are committed to long-term.

mhovingh, Feb 13, 2012 IP