1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When Looking for High PR Directories, is it the Website PR or the Category PR Count?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by silkblooms, Feb 4, 2012.

I've noticed that a lot of directories that rank themselves PR6 or PR7 can be verified as such on their hompage only. When you check the PR of the deeper page where your backlink will actually ocme from then you're lucky if it's a PR2. For example:

www.some-directory.com = PR7
    www.some-directory.com/shopping/weddings/flowers/artificial/arranged = PR2

Should we go with the deep category PR or the homepage PR when we're looking for quality directories?

silkblooms, Feb 4, 2012 IP
  2. micky_john

micky_john Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well you asked a good question here but when we submit our website in directories we generally focus on home page PR and the category where you are going to submit your website should be appropriate and relevant.

micky_john, Feb 4, 2012 IP
  3. Fatima leen

Fatima leen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    well i think the index page normally counts

Fatima leen, Feb 11, 2012 IP
    stoner3221 likes this.
  4. arshid

arshid Peon

Best Answers:
    Good question, actually the think is that if a dir index page is a high pr then obviously it means that inner pages are also loved by google although you are not able to see a big pr figure.
    i can give you a example for that, if you are on a inner pr2 page of a pr7 directory than i think it would be more valued and powerfull than a pr3 inner page of a home page pr 4 directory, what actually i want to say is that inner pages of a high home page pr dir are more valued....
    Nywz dnt concentarte much on the pr, look if the design of a dir is custom and maintainance is good with no spams a regular update it means the directory is worth it.....

arshid, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  5. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    If the inner page has PR that's a good sign that the directory is well indexed in google. What I like to do is a search in google for some of the text on the page and see if it's indexed. If it is then I know it will pass on some link juice.

freelistfool, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  6. FokeBox

FokeBox Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on the directory popularity among people.

FokeBox, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  7. Fatima leen

Fatima leen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks frozensherk for sharing..

Fatima leen, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are many folks who are building directories on domains which once were the home of another site. The homepage will often have a fairly high PR score while the interior pages, which are all new, will have none. These directories are generally easy to spot because they often have URLs like junglediseasenumber5.org, bostonparks.info or other similar names. These directories are not worth submitting to on any page.

In some cases, the directory owner has simply failed to promote their site well. They do little to no SEO on the category pages and garner only backlinks to their homepage. Their category pages don't rank for their topic on the search engines and if they do have any PR, it's often coming from the homepage rather than external backlinks. These directories offer some value but I wouldn't spend a great deal on purchasing advertising from them.

At the top end of the spectrum, you have the directories where the URL is either a made-up brand (think Yahoo! and Google) or one that is directory related, the site owner has worked on building backlinks for the homepage as well as the categories, the categories are well-maintained and the listings are not spammy, keyword-stuffed gibberish. Google has rewarded their hard work with PR on most of the pages of the directory.

I bring all that up to explain that PR is not the main criteria to look at when purchasing advertising on directories. You should also be looking at the overall quality of the site. Ask yourself if you would be associated with a site like that if you were not trying to garner backlinks. Check Google to see if the page your site will be advertised on has been indexed. If they provide a 'most popular sites' page, see how many hits those sites have garnered from the directory. If the directory's PR is high and those numbers are low, there's probably something shady going on.

Following your example, if a category that's 5 levels deep like www.some-directory.com/shopping/weddings/flowers/artificial/arranged actually has a PR of 2. The directory owner is most likely doing everything right. Purchasing advertising from them might be a good investment. Most well-run directories are doing good to have PR on something like www.some-directory.com/shopping/weddings (2 levels deep).

And finally, to your question on homepage vs category page. There's two issues at play, PR and relevancy. If all you are looking for is to increase your pagerank, the homepage might be a better choice. But, if you are looking to build topical backlinks while building your overall PR score, the category page is a better choice. The risk of homepage advertising is that your site could be listed with gambling, pharma, sexually explicit, SEO, hotels and any other sites that are totally unrelated to yours.

Keep in mind, Google generally frowns on purchasing links for the sole purpose of gaining PR. If they think that you are making a concerted effort to manipulate your score through purchasing links, they might de-index your site completely.

YMC, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  9. bluestar

bluestar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My site was submitted to PR7 SB site diigo.com but the inner page where my site was submitted has zero PR. So will my site get a backlink from high PR site or is the submission useless as the inner page has no page rank?

bluestar, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  10. lasfly123

lasfly123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sure will get back link.
    But its not sure that back link of your site on pr 7.

lasfly123, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  11. agtile

agtile Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you submit to high PR directory , there is always a chance the sub-directory page gets high PR in after a while.
    On the other hand high PR not always equals high quality.
    Each directory is unique in that regard.
    I personally like directories that show high traffic and high SERPs besides PR

agtile, Feb 18, 2012 IP
  12. techendeavour

techendeavour Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for high page rank directories means consider the website page rank only.It will helpful to your website while getting the backlink.

techendeavour, Feb 18, 2012 IP
  13. aray

aray Peon

Best Answers:
    *viewing* well, sure this is a little bit confunsing for me as a newbie.. but thanks for all information here.. :)

aray, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  14. lasfly123

lasfly123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You could search many websites from Google and Yahoo.

lasfly123, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  15. Technoduce

Technoduce Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can consider the page rank of the homepage when looking for the quality directories. The inner page PR or the category pages PR does not really matter.

Technoduce, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where do you base this idea upon? What's your source? It's contradictory to everything I've seen coming from Google.

YMC, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  17. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your a bit whacked out with that belief. It's not at all true. The page your submitted to is the most important page and it should be cached at the very least. The main page PR means very little. A lot of folks were selling a bucket of crap convincing others the main page PR was important and you must have fallen into that bucket.

stoner3221, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  18. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Stoner is right. The page your link gets listed is the one that matters the most. As a rule of thumb when I submit to a directory, i search for the particular category page in Google and make sure that it was indexed no later than two months ago. Keep in mind that Google won't see your link until the next cache either so you want to make sure Google is caching the category page pretty often

Nima, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    There's a reason for this. Those directories typically do not have valid PR.

Mia, Mar 29, 2013 IP