1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla or Drupal?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Sanjay Gandhi, Jan 20, 2012.

1. serena85

serena85 Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many video tutorials for free, about how to make a website in Worpress, I suggest you to start with that.

serena85, Jan 26, 2012 IP
  2. LiveDigi

LiveDigi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would recommend you to use Wordpress, easier to use and better in some cases.

LiveDigi, Jan 26, 2012 IP
  3. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Both CMS are fine nowadays. In a web development field choosing technologies is depends on budget and website requirement. But, as per my suggestion Joomla is most popular open source CMS as per present trend.

creativewebmaster, Jan 27, 2012 IP
  4. FizixRichard

FizixRichard Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree with the automatic recommendations of Joomla. Most popular doesn't necessarily equate to better. It's popular because its feature-some and free and above all else, because 'that's what people use'.

There are loads of CMS solutions out there, some free and some commercial, when you start actually looking around Joomla and even Drupal start looking a lot less 'nice'. I spent a while a few years ago trying to sell sites based on Joomla or Drupal and most clients wanted me to work with something else. I wound up trying all sorts of CMS's, found some diamonds but ended up trying to create my own Joomla backend, got fed up with it and built my own in house CMS and framework for certain types of site (best decision I ever made) and took up a few good commercial products for where mine didn't fit.

Here are some of my issues with Joomla:
    - The codebase isn't that clean, structured and tidy; there is a lot of back and forthing going on.
    - Unbelievably most of the actual scripts have no information header, to tell you what they do
    - It's codebase has a somewhat nonsensical structure, it has a tendency to import a mixture of procedural and oo class scripts from all over the place
    - If I, as a developer have to proceed through a tangled string of scripts to find where certain things are happening, or to follow the application, its not helping me, its making me take longer to achieve what I need to. These solutions are supposed to help developers "hit the ground running", not crawling.
    - It's got way to many security holes, having to upgrade regularly to be safe isn't a good thing
    - It's not particularly fast, in fact I'd say its quite slow
    - User password security is really basic
    - The database breaks a number of fundamental standards
    - I don't like the template / theme system, added... isn't the point of template engines to separate programming code from the UI. Least have an inline logic system for where logic is required.
    - The administrative UI is convoluted and over complicated, which isn't good for end users who on the whole will not be technical users. i.e. the guy who is writing articles, creating a new page etc. I had a client not long ago who wanted a CMS and mentioned Joomla, he looked at it and turned away almost immediately as "it takes too long and I have to piss about too much". The menu manager for example is horrible for typical users.
    - For what it is, it's very basic; its basically an article cms for news/publishing sites but takes a very complicated route to achieving what its setting out to achieve.

Simply put, its one of those solutions that built by developers who have built it for developers, which under the hood is fine, but for the UI, where staff at the company you're providing to are going to be interacting with, its really bad.

I guess this is my biggest gripe with it, the content creation pipeline and workflow are just ill considered, they haven't thought about how a typical end user will use it and just made it achieve the task at hand. Seriously, if an end user needs a whole day training session to something as simple as to create menu links, pages and articles then your UI is bad.

Of course, if you don't mind a content creation pipeline that takes 3 or 4 steps to do something that should only take one or two. And you don't mind a system that requires you to dig around to figure out how to do even fundamental tasks then great, it's probably going to be fine.

Otherwise, there are alternatives and I'd recommend taking them.

Edit:

Maybe I am being a bit harsh, I just find it over complicated and convoluted (and Joomla is supposed to be the one thats good for beginners), maybe I just like simplicity, being able to do things quickly without any hassle and without having to read the manual for everything (I know my clients most certainly do).

Drupal is the same, but amplified.

Now onto WordPress, I'm a lot less scathing about it as it does exactly what it says on the tin. It's a dead simple blogging application with a few nifty CMS capabilities out of the box. It's not the most powerful product out there, it hasn't got a massive feature set, it hasn't got a brilliant template engine (in fact I wouldn't call it a theme/template engine at all)... but, its straight forward, easy to use, your typical end user can pretty much just jump in and use it without having their hand held and taking a masters degree in publishing with WordPress.

For that I love it and its perfect.

The only word of caution I would use is, if it doesn't do it out of the box then use a certain level of caution with plugins; for 4 simple reasons.

1. Whenever you install a plugin you open a risk of a security, performance or stability issues (this is true for all applications)

2. When you install a plugin you can become version reliant (this is true for all applications)

3. I've seen WordPress sites, having used plugins and then wanting to migrate to bigger publishing suites (Invision for example) have some pretty nasty problems due to plugin vendors not considering the data architecture, leading to a messy database that's difficult to safely migrate to the new product. So you have to be careful not to completely shoelace your database into knots.

4. If your plugin vendor gives up and abandons a plugin and you want to change to a new one, you could well have issues (i.e. review plugin from vendor A abandons their plugin, you want to go to vendor B, but you can't get your data from vendor A's plugin into vendor B's plugin).

If of course, your sites never going to outgrow WP, and you either don't need plugins or only use one and don't care about future proofing, it's fine.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    FizixRichard, Jan 27, 2012 IP
  5. MediaTemple

MediaTemple Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Expression Engine here! :cool: if anybody need help with Expression Engine just let me know

MediaTemple, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  6. barbie01

barbie01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Those were great information from all of you guys. You have given me ideas though. Thanks and keep it up!

barbie01, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  7. GeraldH

GeraldH Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Drupal is what I recommend. It's a little more complicated to use, but you can do so much more with it.

GeraldH, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  8. phpexperts

phpexperts Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Its all depend on your purpose and how you're familiar with PHP or any open sources. If you want to develop a simple cms site than wordpress is the best framework and also very user friendly. If you want to develop a site for multi purpose than joomla is best cms, you can find a wide range of component, modules and plugins for your site.

phpexperts, Feb 2, 2012 IP
  9. barbie01

barbie01 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am familiar with wordpress. I have been using it for awhile now but I don;t know with this Drupal. Someone could share some ideas?

barbie01, Feb 2, 2012 IP
  10. vmprotect

vmprotect Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Which CMS you want to install for your site?

vmprotect, Feb 2, 2012 IP
  11. awebspark

awebspark Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i recommend wordpress for simple CMS site and Joomla for any kind of big CMS as i have a experience on the both CMS.

awebspark, Feb 7, 2012 IP
  12. J.L.B

J.L.B Peon

Best Answers:
    I also use Joomla and very happy with it. It's a great CMS. And within that I have a phpBB Forum.

J.L.B, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  13. masrimanas

masrimanas Member

Best Answers:
    I also suggest you to use wordpress.
    A lot of themes&plug in available for wordpress.

masrimanas, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  14. VolkanSEO

VolkanSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    if you dont have any programming knowledge, I would prefer Wordpress. so much easier than Joomla and Drupal.

Google loves Wordpress too!

VolkanSEO, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  15. spaculus

spaculus Peon

Best Answers:
    We suggest you to discuss your requirement with any web development company, they will certainly helps you, we are also in web development field you can visit our website for more information.

spaculus, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  16. amdadhbd

amdadhbd Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you are not a programmer then Don't use joomla and Drupal. Please use wordpress. Word is damn easy for any level of people.

amdadhbd, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  17. rahul.patil

rahul.patil Peon

Best Answers:
    Use Wordpress its simple joomla and drupal are tougher.

rahul.patil, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  18. zubizubi

zubizubi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is your best option, next is your joomla. But drupal does not have as many good features as joomla and wordpress such as templates, modules and plugins

zubizubi, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  19. searchesuk

searchesuk Peon

Best Answers:
    If only simple CMS then use Drupal or Joomla....

searchesuk, Feb 14, 2012 IP
  20. bilzz

bilzz Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are beginner so i suggest go to Wordpress ,its best for new comers.

bilzz, Feb 15, 2012 IP